Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Integrity. Honoring a contract. The best situation he could be in to win now. He could gain a lot more with a willingness to restructure as well.

Essentially: he could gain a lot of respect and long-term legacy fulfillment by honoring the contract he signed a couple years ago.

Not arguing with you about contracts again.  NFL teams cut contracts short and demand players to take massive paycuts every single year.  When teams stop treating contracts like toilet paper I'll get angry at a player for wanting to renegotiate a deal early.

I doubt that Preston Smith thought he was going to have to look for a new spot 2 years into a 4 year deal but that is exactly what he was looking at if he didn't agree to a massive team friendly pay cut.  Don't give me this bull**** about integrity when you are so eager to act like the above transaction didn't occur. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not a joke. I'm comparing because Goff made the playoffs in year 2 and super bowl in year 3, so I'm curious why you think Love can't compete until year 4.

Year 4 of his contract, not playing. Love is already on year 2. 

I think I'm giving him a pretty similar route as 12. Rodgers sat for 3 years, still had a bad year (team wise) in 2008, improved to playoffs to year 2 as starter, then SB. 

Love being the type of QB who can compete with the big dogs by his 3rd year starting would be a win. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

Doesn't make sense though.  If Aaron Rodgers was the end goal for San Fran then why would they trade the world for the #3 pick?  A trade that essentially removed them from the running for Aaron 

Thats the question.  Why did they trade the world for a QB (Wilson/Jones/Lance) they didn't know would be there at 3? 

Enter the possibility of getting Rodgers and that trade to #3 is made with the fallback being Wilson/Jones/Lance.  

There was a time where they reportedly didn't know which of the QBs they were taking.  They still made the call to GB for Rodgers.

Edited by NFLGURU

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Thats the question.  Why did they trade the world for a QB (Wilson/Jones/Lance) they didn't know would be there at 3? 

Enter the possibility of getting Rodgers and that trade to #3 is made with the fallback being Wilson/Jones/Lance.  

Bad logic in my book.

To obtain Rodgers, you needed multiple first round picks.  San Fran gave them up to move to #3 in a draft that was top heavy on QB's.  GB already has their QB of the future on the roster.  No standout defenders in this year's class at the top of the draft.

Only way that would have worked for the Packers was if they took the trade and then dealt the #3 overall pick for the multiple first round picks that they deserved.  And that's a very large crap shoot you take for giving up an MVP QB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Besides what @incognito_man said, If he plays one year, his dead-cap figure becomes much more manageable and the Packers much more open to trading him because of that. So the answer to what he gains, is the Packers org finds it easier to move him on and might entertain that, when previously they wouldn't.

That's Green Bay gaining something, not Aaron Rodgers.  There is NOTHING preventing Green Bay from trading Aaron Rodgers right now outside of pride.  Nothing changes for GB money wise whether he's sitting out or playing football. 

Rodgers doesn't gain anything by playing under this current contract.  He's even more of a lame duck that would have no say on where he's playing football.  

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Lol no they don't.

You seriously need to educate yourself, man.

I'm going to try to "rule" on the Preston Smith Contract.

I was going to look at his deal from when he signed as a free agent, then what happened when it was restructured.  But, after a quick google search, I didn't have to.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-offseason-2021-dc-salary-cap/2021/3/12/22328385/packers-restructure-preston-smiths-contract-save-7-25m-in-cap-space-for-2021

For those who hate clicking links, here's the "meat".  "The two sides have reportedly agreed on a new contract structure for the veteran edge rusher, keeping Smith in Green Bay and in the team’s pass-rush rotation. For the Packers, the team gets almost as much salary cap relief in 2021 as it would have from releasing Smith outright. For Smith, he has an opportunity to earn more money in 2021 than he would have before, while avoiding a potentially painful roster cut and free agent search during a tough offseason for players."

"When factoring in the $4 million in prorated signing bonus money on the cap for 2021 from Smith’s original contract, this deal will give him a $8.75 million cap hit this year, down from the $16 million he would have cost without any restructuring. Furthermore, this is nearly the same amount that the Packers would have carried in dead money if they had released him outright ($8 million).

The sack incentives kick in at 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 sacks for the 2021 season. Thus, if Smith achieves the 14-sack mark, he would earn the full incentive amount and actually exceed the $12 million in cash he had been scheduled to receive in 2021."

"For Smith, who was seemingly staring down the possibility of a pink slip, he gets the security of knowing that he has a job this season and an opportunity to get a little bit of extra money if he has a monstrous year chasing quarterbacks. He also picks up a $6.5 million check today, getting an extra $2.5 million more than his $4 million roster bonus that was due next Friday."

Yah, to me it looks like GB worked out a nice "win-win" with Preston.  I mean, guaranteed dollars rule the contracts in the NFL and he got an extra 2.5M right off the bat and can get more if he gets the QB to the ground.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bad logic in my book.

To obtain Rodgers, you needed multiple first round picks.  San Fran gave them up to move to #3 in a draft that was top heavy on QB's.  GB already has their QB of the future on the roster.  No standout defenders in this year's class at the top of the draft.

I'm not saying it should have been done by GB,  the point is they called the Packers with that pick plus thinking they might be able to get it done. 

I think Rodgers/Dunne knew it and encouraged it. 

Just now, NFLGURU said:

I'm not saying it should have been done by GB,  the point is they called the Packers with that pick plus thinking they might be able to get it done. 

I think Rodgers/Dunne knew it and encouraged it. 

I think SF did it to select their QB and then thought they'd call, no harm in calling.  

Had SF really wanted Rodgers, no way they would have moved to #3 and given up all those picks.  To me, Rodgers was a  hail mary or afterthought.

And yah, maybe Dunne encouraged it, but Lynch isn't that dumb.  There's no way I'll believe that he traded up to #3 thinking his first choice was to flip that pick in a package for Rodgers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lol no they don't.

You seriously need to educate yourself, man.

Thanks but I'm not interested in getting any education from you.  You are pretty easily one of the most bias posters you'll find anywhere on the internet.  

The NFL is the only pro sport league in the country that can rip a contract up half way through it without any penalty.  If you want to act like a contract is guaranteed money and ONLY guaranteed money then more power to you.  

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, to me it looks like GB worked out a nice "win-win" with Preston.  I mean, guaranteed dollars rule the contracts in the NFL and he got an extra 2.5M right off the bat and can get more if he gets the QB to the ground

Yes, agreed. Smith is earning more money than his original contract.

SSG has literally no understanding of contracts. I've never come across anyone more happy to be so wrong about anything lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's Green Bay gaining something, not Aaron Rodgers.  There is NOTHING preventing Green Bay from trading Aaron Rodgers right now outside of pride.  Nothing changes for GB money wise whether he's sitting out or playing football. 

Rodgers doesn't gain anything by playing under this current contract.  He's even more of a lame duck that would have no say on where he's playing football.  

Rodgers cannot trade himself. He needs the Packers to agree a trade, so if the Packers are in a better spot to trade Aaron and Aaron WANTS a trade, he is more likely to get his wish.

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Thanks but I'm not interested in getting any education from you.  You are pretty easily one of the most bias posters you'll find anywhere on the internet.  

The NFL is the only pro sport league in the country that can rip a contract up half way through it without any penalty.  If you want to act like a contract is guaranteed money and ONLY guaranteed money then more power to you.  

Not true, the penalty is a cap hit and dead money. That is very much a penalty in the hard cap world of the NFL. 

• Like 1