Jump to content

Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Not true, the penalty is a cap hit and dead money. That is very much a penalty in the hard cap world of the NFL. 

More importantly, it is ILLEGAL to breach a contract and if a team ever did it would end up in court.

It is utter nonsense to think teams can "rip up" a contract. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding to think that has happened even once (without subsequent punishment).

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

His gain is not having to sit out a season. He has no leverage here. If I'm the FO, I'm not trading him right now, period. Call his bluff. What he also gains is coming back and playing his last season in GB, playing for a shot at a title, knowing it's his last season. Then he can get his trade next off-season. 

This saga ends in one of two ways: both include Rodgers playing for GB in 2021. 

Don't agree.  Green Bay is at risk of watching their locker room burn to the ground.  

If Rodgers sits out camp and/ or any of the season they wont be able to trade him fast enough IMO.  These aren't fans in the locker room.  Holding a player hostage that doesn't want to be there, especially THE team leader, has the receipt for disaster.  


Probably all moot.  I expect a new long term deal that keeps him in Green Bay for the next 4 years.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

@SSG's idea of a contract:

Party 1: "I'll give you $100, then you cut my lawn 4 times."

Party 2: "Deal!".

Party 2 takes $100, cuts lawn twice

SSG: "WHY WUD PARTY 2 CUT LAWN AGAIN. WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO GAINZ?!?"

Go someplace else with your childish garbage.

I've been signed to contracts my entire adult life, I don't need some tool to give me lessons on what a contract is because he's incapable of being objective.  I get it.  Criticism for Packers management isn't' something you are capable of comprehending.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to call the odds, I'd say it's about a 20% chance Rodgers is gone before this season, 45% chance Rodgers moves on after the 2021 season, and 35% he stays more than one season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If I had to call the odds, I'd say it's about a 20% chance Rodgers is gone before this season, 45% chance Rodgers moves on after the 2021 season, and 35% he stays more than one season. 

Math checks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, R T said:

Not true, the penalty is a cap hit and dead money. That is very much a penalty in the hard cap world of the NFL. 

You are correct, I should have reframed that a little different.  There are small penalties on a portion of the contracts that are ended early if there is guaranteed money that hasn't been paid.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes, agreed. Smith is earning more money than his original contract.

SSG has literally no understanding of contracts. I've never come across anyone more happy to be so wrong about anything lol.

Not taking a side here. 

I believe that guaranteed money is what counts most in an NFL contract.  Key word, "most".  The rest of the compensation counts as well, but I view the salary more as "playing incentives".  Play well, keep your salary.  But what you really get is the signing bonus and the right to play for your salary.  Key word, "play".  And to be fair to GB the organization, they do tend to honor the contracts they give.

Preston was in a tough spot with his sack total declining and the cap going down.  Something had to be done there, and it looks like both parties got a good deal out of it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Not taking a side here. 

I believe that guaranteed money is what counts most in an NFL contract.  Key word, "most".  The rest of the compensation counts as well, but I view the salary more as "playing incentives".  Play well, keep your salary.  But what you really get is the signing bonus and the right to play for your salary.  Key word, "play".  And to be fair to GB the organization, they do tend to honor the contracts they give.

Preston was in a tough spot with his sack total declining and the cap going down.  Something had to be done there, and it looks like both parties got a good deal out of it.

Literally the only thing that matters is that both sides agree to the language. And the language is honored by the team 100% of the time. GB has honored 100% of the contracts they've ever given. At least in modern times, no clue about like 1930s stuff or something ha.

Suggesting that teams don't honor contracts is just flat out wrong (not that YOU are suggesting this). But it is not "tend to". It is 100% honoring, 100% of the time. Declining an option is not "not honoring" a contract. Conditionality is like contracts 101.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Contracts are heavily tilted to the franchise, players are waking up to that and that will change at some point not too far in the future. More chances to get injured, hundreds of cheap workers coming in every year to take your spot, contracts with a bunch of outs built in, job security is hard to come by in the NFL.

theres still 3 years left on rodgers contract, thats why it came out of nowhere for most.

Edited by ifeelasleep
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

Contracts are heavily tilted to the franchise, players are waking up to that and that will change at some point not too far in the future. 
More chances to get injured, hundreds of cheap workers coming in every year to take your spot, contracts with a bunch of outs built in, job security is hard to come by in the NFL.

It's a performance based business with performance based contracts. A player doesn't perform to the expected standard he doesn't keep his position on the roster. I imagine those that have never worked in a boiler room environment might have issues with that setup, but not that uncommon with many jobs/careers.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not taking a side here. 

I believe that guaranteed money is what counts most in an NFL contract.  Key word, "most".  The rest of the compensation counts as well, but I view the salary more as "playing incentives".  Play well, keep your salary.  But what you really get is the signing bonus and the right to play for your salary.  Key word, "play".  And to be fair to GB the organization, they do tend to honor the contracts they give.

Preston was in a tough spot with his sack total declining and the cap going down.  Something had to be done there, and it looks like both parties got a good deal out of it.

Nelson, Sitton, Daniels...... former pro bowl players that had their contracts cut premature.  Not sure players get to the end of their contracts in Green Bay anymore often than most teams in the league.  And I understand, it's a business but I have a hard time disliking players when they treat their contract as that same business.  In Rodgers case, he's currently being paid like a quality starting QB, not a MVP.  He's making Jerod Goff money.  I can't hate a guy for doing something I feel most people in his position would do.  

Preston got a better deal than he'd have gotten if he'd have been cut but he still took a massive hair cut.  He's gonna need an all pro caliber season to get back to where he was prior to the restructure.  I'd bet that it's gonna end up being a 3+ million hair cut by time season ends.  This for a guy who had 12 sacks for us the year prior.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If I had to call the odds, I'd say it's about a 20% chance Rodgers is gone before this season, 45% chance Rodgers moves on after the 2021 season, and 35% he stays more than one season. 

I'll take the first 20% and say he holds out until he's either traded or he gets his way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, R T said:

It's a performance based business with performance based contracts. A player doesn't perform to the expected standard he doesn't keep his position on the roster. I imagine those that have never worked in a boiler room environment might have issues with that setup, but not that uncommon with many jobs/careers.   

except its about prediction not just production, in your high pressure boiler room companies having an out when you approach 30 would be grounds for a lawsuit. getting to the nfl is an achievement that takes a lifetime, careers are cut short and contracts are not even guaranteed, thats seems little to ask for a league that dwarfs all the others in revenue, ratings, and bombast. I understand theres a higher number of rostered players but the setup seems non sustainable for the players.

Rightly or not the players can see what happens in other sports, and they might feel they are better athletes or bigger stars in a bigger sport. 
 

Edited by ifeelasleep
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

except its about prediction not just production, in your high pressure boiler room companies having an out when you approach 30 would be grounds for a lawsuit. getting to the nfl is an acheivement that takes a lifetime, careers are cut short and contracts are not even guaranteed, thats seems little to ask for a league that dwarfs all the others in revenue, ratings, and bombast. I understand theres a higher number of rostered players but the setup seems non sustainable for the players.

There is a salary floor guarantee across the league. There are guarantees in (just about) EVERY contract.

How does it favor one side more than another if both sides agree to ADDITIONAL conditional money in a contract?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...