Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, packfanfb said:

So, would keep him on the hook for 2022 so basically it forces us to trade him or get nothing after 2022.

This makes sense. Would be malpractice if they agreed to just run it back for one year and then let him walk for nothing. If they did that, Gute/Murph should be fired on the spot

Hopefully the agreement is them trading him to a select few AFC teams of his choosing...aka the Broncos

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So, would keep him on the hook for 2022 so basically it forces us to trade him or get nothing after 2022.

This is actually a pretty solid solution for both sides. Void 2023 so Packers know they either have to trade Rodgers in 2022 or if they don't he's a FA after 2022. Forces the trade if they want the value.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Lol “review” and Shefter sets it up that way? 

Which one is it and why does this ****** bag still have a job? 

I think people are throwing **** against the wall hoping something will stick. Time to walk away from the computer for a while 

6 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

This better not mean that they're gonna just let him walk for free in the offseason. Have him give them a list of teams he'd agree to go to and then work out a trade

I can't imagine they would do that .. would be awful.  Got to come away with some compensation if they lose him .. something much more than a 3rd round comp pick.  Former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said a week or two ago that the Packers could agree to allow him free agency next year, but retain the franchise tag.  They would then use the tag to help set up a tag and trade scenario.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Honestly, Keeping him until 2022 and trading him would be ideal scenario for me.

At first I was thinking two years give the acquiring team more leverage over him and thus commands a larger compensation. The reality is whoever we trade him to is going to have to give him a new BIGGER deal anyway. It does give Rodgers some leverage as to where he goes in that case. Because if he doesn't get a new deal with the trade, it's a one year rental for the acquiring team and the value decreases significantly. 

I like the, 'will review his situation after the year,' scenario better tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Honestly, Keeping him until 2022 and trading him would be ideal scenario for me.

That's exactly what they are going to do. Void 2023 with no tags guarantees that the Packers are trading him next year. Otherwise, they get nothing when he leaves after 2022. 

Just now, deltarich87 said:

This likely sums up the situation

Problem is that GB loses leverage next offseason in trade talks with teams so they no longer will get as big a return as they would have if they just moved him earlier this offseason

It gives Rodgers leverage as to where he will go for sure. Not sure how you can get cap relief this year and remove 2023 from contract without making 2022 a bigger disaster cap wise.