Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm far from a contract guru, but I'm guessing that would require lesser guaranteed money or massive front end of the contract. 

Again, nothing new here as it pertains to Russ Ball

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If 2023 is voidable they really don't. In 2022 you have to trade him to a place of his liking. The new team has to extend him prior to agreeing to the trade. Otherwise, it's a one year rental for them. Nobody is giving up value for Rodgers on a one year rental. 

If you were ever going to trade him, it had to be “to a place of liking”.  Nobody was trading for a guy who wasn’t going to report.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm in favor of lopping off one season in exchange for more cap space this year. 

We better not waste a single penny on Cobb though...

Agreed. Gute does it again. This is ilike how he made a win win situation with Preston Smith.

Question how does this affect the cap, doesn't this affect his signing bonus, does it get more compressed with one less year? How would they create cap space now? Is it by converting that roster bonus into a signing bonus> that would create about $3m. What else could be done to create cap?

Edited by Brit Pack

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Not sure how I'm feeling yet. Still feels like a loss for the Packers. A lot of bad blood spilled that seems like should have been handled behind closed doors, and very likely a very distracted season which usually ends bad.

I agree that this off-season was awful, but given that we ARE here, this is probably the best outcome for the packers.  They get Rodgers back this year, without a single day of camp missed, and can still trade him next offseason.  This outcome wasn’t looking super likely a month ago.

None of this is official, so far we have nothing but conjecture. 

If we did indeed void the last year on his contract it was a mistake.   It was a move that benefited Rodg but not the team.

At the same time, he still has value trade wise after this year.  Being he only has one year left on his contract doesn't mean as much as it sounds like, the new team would extend with a new contract anyway.  A real mistake was made if the team promised to trade him unconditionally after this year.  He needs to be told the team will choose which team he goes to based on the compensation, and that there will not be a fire sale.  Not enough value, he comes back here or retires.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not sure how I'm feeling yet. Still feels like a loss for the Packers. A lot of bad blood spilled that seems like should have been handled behind closed doors, and very likely a very distracted season which usually ends bad.

Why do you feel that way ? 

Let’s say Aaron does great and/or Love just doesn’t have it. GB would probably offer Aaron what he wants and he’d likely stay . 

K.  So we are going through marriage counseling now?  Gonna give a little here, get a little there and then re-evaluate things after the season and see if we should get divorced?

I get where some see it is a "win-win".

I don't know.  I'd rather lock him down for two years, or whatever time length he wants to play and roll with that.

Or just move on.

Only way I see this as a "win" is if the money freed up inks Adams long term.  As @Rainmaker90said, smart people will figure out a way to get it done without crippling the cap.  Keeps a core piece locked in for when Love takes over.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Then why trade for him? I'm all for Randall Cobb at a vet minimum. Actually, I'm not as we don't need another WR. We are pretty flush there. We especially don't need another WR who Rodgers will stare down whenever Davante isn't available. MVS, Tonyan and Lazard need MORE chances this year, not less! Not to mention Amari Rodgers going to need the ball too. Throw in Jones catching it out of the backfield as well as Deguara and we're pretty flush with options. 

I agree I'd not waste the 7th but maybe it's to show Rodgers (assuming this is a real thing). That they're "making moves." and it's a damn 7. My only real point is, I don't think there's a chance in hell he's playing at that number for anyone this season. 

26 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You don’t think Adams is worth Hopkins money? With Aaron Rodgers likely playing his last season, you don’t think that kind of player would be beneficial to the development of Love and therefor you can’t put a price tag on it?

Nothing to do with Adams versus Hopkins but it's way too damn much money to me too