Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And here we are getting closer to the truth.  He's frustrated because he wants clarity on his future with the franchise.  As his contract is currently constructed, the Packers can trade him with minimal dead cap a year from now.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I stand corrected on the age.  Sorry about that.  He will be 38 in December.  Favre played great in 2009 and was DONE in 2010.  In spite of Tom Brady's performance, 40 is still an old quarterback. 

How much are 2-3 potentially very good years worth?  Maybe a first round pick.  I can't see giving up much more than that.  Maybe I will be proven wrong.  It just seems overly optimistic to expect much more than a first rounder.

My point remains.  There's nothing to suggest that Rodgers is going to suddenly decline, and he's stated he wants to play into his 40s.  So why do you suddenly think that you're only getting 2-3 years out of him?  We're seeing Tom Brady play at a high level who turns 44 in a few months.  Outside of the collarbone break (which was a freak accident), he's only dealt with soft-tissue injuries.

Maybe a FRP?  I know draft picks are at a premium these days, but getting Aaron Rodgers makes about half the franchise Super Bowl contenders.  Hell, he could probably even pull the Jets into the playoffs.  You give up a FRP in a heartbeat for Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't.  Why would he give up millions of dollars for something he's one of the best at?

Agreed. The man can host a mean game of Jeopardy.

Edited by Pool

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A crap ton.  He instantly makes just about anyone a title contender.  Aaron Rodgers is 37 years old, and Favre played well into his age 40 season.  There's no reason to suggest that his play is suddenly going to fall off.

But if they give you the third overall pick (which cost them this year's and next year's #1 picks and more) AND they gave you Kinlaw and Bosa, would they still be a contender?  Probably not.  They would sound like a team who might make it to the NFCCG and then be making excuses when they lost because their defense wasn't good enough.  Sound familiar?

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Come on.  How much do you really think he is worth.  I know he had a good season last year, but the man is 38 years old.  How many good years does he realistically have left in the tank?  Not everybody is Tom Brady and can play at a high level into their mid-40s.  Brett Favre fell off a cliff at 40. 

This is a pretty big understatement lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

But if they give you the third overall pick (which cost them this year's and next year's #1 picks and more) AND they gave you Kinlaw and Bosa, would they still be a contender?  Probably not.  They would sound like a team who might make it to the NFCCG and then be making excuses when they lost because their defense wasn't good enough.  Sound familiar?

They're 2 years removed from going to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G as their starting QB.  The loss of Bosa hurts.  It absolutely does, and that's probably the dealbreaker for San Francisco.  I think they'd relent on Kinlaw if it meant getting Rodgers.  I'm saying from Green Bay's perspective, there's no motivation to move Rodgers.  None.  Rodgers can whine and complain, but unless they truly believe Rodgers will retire then there's really not a lot of reason for the Packers to even listen to offers.  Hence the reason why the Rodgers trade rumors have already been shot down.  Again.  Unless it moves into an amorphous 3-way trade with Deshaun Watson.  And that won't happen until the whole legal issues get solved.

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

This is a pretty big understatement lol.

Ok I'll give you that.  Change the word to great, but does that really change the rest of what I was trying to say?  It would be totally different if he was five years younger.  Brett Favre was MVP caliber in 2009 and he was completely done in 2010.  It happens to everybody eventually.  That's nothing against Favre or Rodgers.  It's just a fact of life.  A team trading for a QB who will be 38 years old in December has to take that into consideration.