Draft Day Winners and Losers

AkronsWitness

27 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't get this logic at all. They were drafting 28th. Reaching for a player of need is usually a mistake in my view, but doing it at the QB position is just a waste of resources. Such few QB's pan out that if I'm spending a pick on a guy, it's someone I want faith in. Very few guys work out after the first round. The 2nd and 3rd round QB fliers almost never work. Should they have taken Kellen Mond if they viewed him as a bum? Who were they supposed to take?

Short of throwing massive resources at a move-up, they did the smart thing and tried to find talent for the rest of the roster. And they've been one of the best drafting teams in the last 5 or so years so I wouldn't bet against their decision making.

Maybe I should've been clearer. Picking Ian Book in the 4th was every bit as much of a reach as moving up to take a guy like Mills or Mond. But they had opportunities to draft better prospects and passed on them to take a guy in the 4th who would've been there in the 6th or 7th. If you're gonna reach, at least reach for a guy who has a chance of starting for you. 

I mean, I get that every team evaluates every player differently. But there is such a thing as understanding subjective absolute value versus objective relative value. If I have a need at QB and I'm not in a position to draft one of the blue chip prospects at that position, even if my evaluation of him is better than another team's would be, Ian Book in the 4th is not the pick I make. 

Belichick got lambasted frequently for taking players (especially DBs in the 2nd or 3rd round) in recent years who were considered a 5th or 6th round value, and rightfully so! A few of those guys worked out in the end (notably Duron Harmon and Joe Thuney) but the vast majority didn't. And this year it seemed like the Saints were using that strategy over the course of their whole draft - just pick guys you like regardless of value. 

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

This is where BPA conflicts with BPA at PON. As fans we want the latter. I’m hoping that the Colts somehow have backup plan at LT besides Tevi.

If the Colts sign one of Okung, Fisher or Villanueva I’ll feel much better about the way the Draft went. There’s still tons of time until the season so we’ll see.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

Speak on it, son.

Nietzsche is the 2nd philosopher of choice (the first being Ayn Rand) for insufferable nerds who were in the gifted program as kids but flamed out, and now live under the delusion that they're still somehow smarter than everyone else, but their intellectual curiosity only extends as far as is required to reinforce that feeling of superiority. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Nietzsche is the 2nd philosopher of choice (the first being Ayn Rand) for insufferable nerds who were in the gifted program as kids but flamed out, and now live under the delusion that they're still somehow smarter than everyone else, but their intellectual curiosity only extends as far as is required to reinforce that feeling of superiority. 

Oh this ain't bannable content...

And - don't tell anyone - but this is also applicable to Mod badges.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I get that but isn’t it asking a lot to start a rookie at a position he didn’t played in college. I saw the pick as a potential long term solution at the position when I was hoping they would find an immediate starter. He seems like a smart guy and a leader so maybe they feel the learning curve won’t be steep. 

I don’t really think so I don’t see much difference in starting him at that position than any other rookie, hopefully playing next to the Hitman his mistakes can or will be limited. Seems like he wants to pick Harrison’s brain a lot. 

13 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Looking at this, two things stand out: 

1. It's unusual seeing the Patriots use up excess capital like this in a year that they didn't move up in the first round. I'm quite pleased with the draft, but usually they're more inclined to trade down than up.

2. Chris Grier and the Dolphins are gonna be really good for a really long time, as long as Tua isn't a Jamarcus Russell-tier bust. The Tunsil trade is going to be spoken of in 20 years the same way the Herschel Walker trade is now. 

51 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The Browns crushed the draft again. I love seeing a team that has sucked for so long climbing the ranks and on paper being one of the scarier teams in the league.

I hate the annual notion that 52 guys are 1st round picks.

• For example, DK Metcalf is only a 1st round pick in an alternate universe where he did not have a neck injury.

I love the notion that a team was considering player x in round 1 and still got him in round 2. (JOK)