2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Depends on how high you have to go to lock down what you are looking for.  To get into the upper teens it would cost a late 2nd.  In the trade back from #28 you'd probably get a high 2nd and high 3rd .. possible two #2's.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=GB

#16 is about the spot where I'd stop.  

And for me, it is all about Olave and Williams.  Maybe Karl.

But really, I'm not giving up a 2nd.  Just not going to happen.

You need those to navigate the second round, even with a trade down from #28.

What are you looking for, player wise, via a trade up?

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If he lasts that long then there must be something wrong with him. My hunch is the Packers won't pass on him once because he won't make it past 20.

There's plenty wrong with Olave. Where's the explosion and elusiveness after the catch? Where are the catches outside his frame? How is he going to be anything but a liability in the run game? 

Olave was WR3 at OSU in '21, WR2b if you want to be generous. He got what, 50% fewer targets than their WR1? 

All signs suggest he's a WR2 at the next level. Why would he be a lock to go top 20? If you want a guy like Olave, just sign Will Fuller and save the 1st round pick.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

#16 is about the spot where I'd stop.  

And for me, it is all about Olave and Williams.  Maybe Karl.

But really, I'm not giving up a 2nd.  Just not going to happen.

You need those to navigate the second round, even with a trade down from #28.

What are you looking for, player wise, via a trade up?

I'd be trying to get Garrett Wilson or Drake London at somewhere around pick #13.  It's possible they both could be gone by then.  I think we have a massive need at WR and it needs to be addressed early on.

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

Crazy to me to think about moving up for a WR. Not that much difference between the top and 6-7 receiver IMO. 

I see your point and I understand it.  This pick could go in several directions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, R T said:

Jameson Williams - Jeff Query

Garrett Wilson - Phillip Epps

Chis Olave - Derrick Mayes

Treylon Burks - DeAngelo Yancey

Skyy Moore - Ty Montgomery

Jahan Dotson - Joey Jamison

George Pickens - Anthony Lucas

Jalen Tolbert - Malachi Dupre

John Metchie - David Clowney

David Bell - Kevin Dorsey

Khalil Shakir - Cory Rodgers

Justyn Ross - Bill Schroeder

Tyquan Thornton - Travor Davis

I have Mike Woods = James Jones.

I think Woods is a bit underrated. Most project him as a UDFA, but I gave him a draftable grade.

If we don't move up from 22 to get a WR and Williams, Wilson, London, Olave, and Burks are all gone, I really hope we don't panic and select a WR like Dotson or Watson. Both would be reaches at 22. Take BPA (e.g., Tyler Smith, George Karlaftis).

Norm -  "I was going on about this with someone earlier. Kept saying this draft sucks and only 15 first rounders, as if every time all has 15 1st grades and they're all the same." 

I've waxed lyrical on this 1st round grades thing before. Instead of saying "Only X amount of players with a first round grade" (which is nonsense), just express is a little differently, leaving out the round.

For example, you could instead say "There are only X amount of players with an 82/100 grade or greater". (insert whatever grade system you use if not going with an 'out of 100' score). Now things make sense. You are not pretending a dozen or more players aren't first rounders, you are just grading the best players and setting where your tier ends.

One final point worth mentioning is that even if two people grade all players exactly the same (which is clearly impossible) how they construct their tiers and where the cut off points are may still differ quite a lot, as that is really a matter of personal choice.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd be trying to get Garrett Wilson or Drake London at somewhere around pick #13.  It's possible they both could be gone by then.  I think we have a massive need at WR and it needs to be addressed early on.

I'm not saying you are wrong about those guys at all.  But sell me on them.

I'm sitting here knowing that Drake London would look good in this offense.  And he would provide insurance against Lazard, concerning the next contract.  Also.....I think his ceiling is one or two years with 1100 yards in the league.  But he will be a solid 600-800 yard guy most of his career.  

I've watched Wilson and I can't see how he fits because we've never really seen someone like him on our roster.  I keep coming back to this.  What does Garrett Wilson have that Paris Campbell, Devin Thomas and Jalen Raeger not have?  All I see is a small kid who runs fast.

Couple of blurbs about the draft broadcasts via The Athletic ( $$)

"There are two things ESPN and NFL Network executives actively root for above all else when it comes to the annual reading of college football names off an index card. The first is highly-touted quarterbacks and skill position players, because the public is already familiar with them...

Why this matters to ESPN and the NFL Network (and the NFL) should be obvious — historical metrics confirm that highly-touted college quarterbacks lead to big viewership. Last year’s opening round of the NFL Draft drew 12.52 million viewers, the second-largest audience in NFL Draft history behind 2020, which produced 15.6 million viewers.  The 2020 NFL Draft was highlighted by three quarterbacks in the top six selections...

The second element ESPN and NFL Network executives are rooting for this week? Chaos. You want surprise picks and trades galore to ramp up the intrigue. You want drama. You want the unexpected. Never forget this is a television show.

Charlie Yook, the executive producer of NFL Media, is Markman’s counterpart at the NFL Network. He told The Athletic over the weekend that his NFL Network staffers have thought about how to present this unique draft for a couple of months. They believe they can sell the unknown.
(Yook is the person who told me years ago that he roots for chaos above all.)

“Our thought is that we’re going to take a perceived weakness as a strength, which is, yes, this is not a typical year where there’s a face of a franchise like a Trevor Lawrence,” Yook said. “But I’ll turn it around and ask you or anybody else: Was Patrick Mahomes a household name when he was selected in 2017? Was Tom Brady when he was selected 199th overall? No. Are those extreme examples? Absolutely. But the point here is this. None of us know anything. There is intrigue with the No. 1 overall pick. We have no idea who is going to be. It’s four or five names. Who’s to say that Aidan Hutchinson is not going to be the next Reggie White? Is that obnoxious? Of course. But we don’t know because he’s never played a down yet in the NFL. So that’s what we’re building on.”

Tons more in the article including news that neither schefturd nor Gil Brandt will likely be on air for draft weekend

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

There's plenty wrong with Olave. Where's the explosion and elusiveness after the catch? Where are the catches outside his frame? How is he going to be anything but a liability in the run game? 

Olave was WR3 at OSU in '21, WR2b if you want to be generous. He got what, 50% fewer targets than their WR1? 

All signs suggest he's a WR2 at the next level. Why would he be a lock to go top 20? If you want a guy like Olave, just sign Will Fuller and save the 1st round pick.

Yes, there is.  My housecats break more tackles than Olave. 

When I see Olave run routes and catch the ball, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.  Smaller.  Effortlessly fast.  Great breaks.  Olave is the safest bet in this draft class.  If he is in GB, I'd wager he is a 750 yard receiver in year one and then he is over 1,000 for as long as Rodgers is here.  He's got the speed and quickness, we have the offense that needs his precise routes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yes, there is.  My housecats break more tackles than Olave. 

When I see Olave run routes and catch the ball, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.  Smaller.  Effortlessly fast.  Great breaks.  Olave is the safest bet in this draft class.  If he is in GB, I'd wager he is a 750 yard receiver in year one and then he is over 1,000 for as long as Rodgers is here.  He's got the speed and quickness, we have the offense that needs his precise routes.

All this talk about trading up for a WR is crazy… Williams is the only one I see worth it and he very well could go at 10 and would require too much from GB.

Gute talked about it the other day… they have had success under him and Ted doing what they do. I don’t think anything is special about this years corp of WR where it screams go and get a guy.

If GB trades up in the first it’s not likely for a WR. It’s more likely a big (OL/DL/Edge) or a secondary player (Daxton Hill comes to mind, or McDuffie… given the Alexander pick they might be willing to go shorter at CB if they love everything else).

Guys like Watson, Pickens, Tolbert, Pierce etc all being available at 28 or in round 2 hurts the top guys value let alone making them worth it to trade up for.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not saying you are wrong about those guys at all.  But sell me on them.

I'm sitting here knowing that Drake London would look good in this offense.  And he would provide insurance against Lazard, concerning the next contract.  Also.....I think his ceiling is one or two years with 1100 yards in the league.  But he will be a solid 600-800 yard guy most of his career.  

I've watched Wilson and I can't see how he fits because we've never really seen someone like him on our roster.  I keep coming back to this.  What does Garrett Wilson have that Paris Campbell, Devin Thomas and Jalen Raeger not have?  All I see is a small kid who runs fast.

I think Wilson has elite movement skills, and creates easy separation on the field.  He's also got top instincts.  He'd bring something different to the Packers.