2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, HaHa might be the last 1st round pick I was really psyched about when it happened. I was a huge Greg Jennings fan too, having grown up in the town next door. 

Next to Kalamazoo? Was it Portage? 

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I really liked HaHa.  Did he suck, or not?  Like, that is honest, I really don't know. I also really liked EQ.  I think before that it was Randall Cobb and Eddie Lacy.  I'm not sure that any other picks have been "my guys" that the Packers have taken.

The only time I ever got serious about actually targeting players was the year we had #12 - but I did it positionally - areas of need: EDGE, S, TE - selecting 3 players for each category.

EDGE - Burns (and I cant remember the others) - we selected Gary
S - Adderley, CJG, Savage
TE - Hockenson, Fant, Sterneberger.

That was it. The only time I selected / researched players beforehand. I've no problem doing "research" on the players after they're actually drafted - then, most of all - seeing them play. When judgement actually matters.

Jerel Worthy...thought he was a steal in the 2nd round.  oops...Same goes for Josh Jackson.  Always study the draft and they rarely pick guys on my radar.  When they do it's usually a bad pick. You do a mock if your lucky you might hit on 1 or 2 players.  Even since coming to this forum we all talk about it and yet the Packers still manage to surprise us.  Really it's folly but at least you get to learn about some of the players who get into the league.  Remember all the shock when we drafted Nick Collins same for Greg Jennings.  Jordy Nelson came out of left field as did Davante...This year I'm thinking Pierce as a dark horse.  

Draft crushes past. 

Original was Aaron Rodges. After Tennessee pasted on him, I called my brother and told him he was sliding to us, and we were taking him. 

Most recent we chose, Nick Perry. 

Most disappointing we didn't take: Randy Moss. My niece was getting married on day one. I almost didn't go to the wedding. As we were kneeling and saying a 'silent prayer!' I whispered loud enough for my brother (same one) to hear me. "Please God let the Packers draft Randy Moss!' He burst out laughing in church. The Packers took Vonnie Holliday, and the rest is history. 

This year: George Pickett because we need a WR and he will be great value if we can get him in round 2. 

Guy with "question marks" I'd like us to take a late round flyer on, Adam Anderson, Georgia. Just a hunch he's going to be the rap and he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft. At this point he's a one trick pony but his one trick is getting to the QB. 

2021-Wanted Bateman, wasn't there, was leaning Rousseau after that

2020-Wanted Jefferson, wasn't there, then wanted Queen. Hated the Love pick

2019-Wanted Oliver, wasn't there, was anti-Gary/any TE but not really pro-anyone else.  Maybe Brian Burns would've been my pick. Was not happy with Gary but glad I was wrong

2018-Wanted a miracle to happen and Denzel Ward to fall or move up to get him. That wasn't realistic. Then I wanted Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James so bad. Was super pissed when they traded back and missed out on DJ. Thankfully Jaire has made up for it

2017-Wanted T.J. Watt or Tyus Bowser if he was gone

2016-Honestly don't remember who I wanted but was cool with Clark. If I had to guess I'd say Jack or Nkemdiche once he fell

2015-Wanted Landon Collins

2014-I wanted Mosely or James. I might have actually wanted HaHa after that, I'm not sure

2013-I liked Rhodes (gone), and wanted Ogletree 

2012-I wanted Donta Hightower (gone), Courtney Upshaw or Cordy Glenn 

2011- Wanted Da'Quan Bowers or Marvin Austin really bad

2010-I was really big on Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, and Arrelious Benn, was cool with Bulaga

2009-I was a big Orakpo and Oher guy, cool with Raji

2008-Didn't we trade out of the 1st? I liked Kenny Phillips a lot, obviously Jordy >>>>

2007-I wanted Amobi Okoye super bad. When he was gone one of Jarvis Moss, Michael Griffin or Reggie Nelson

2006-I wanted Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw so bad. Knew they wouldn't be there and wanted Vernon Davis. Was not a fan of the A.J. Hawk pick

2005-I don't remember who I wanted but I was livid we took Rodgers, that definitely worked out in my favor

2004-I think I wanted Chris Gamble

That's as far back as I've paid attention to the draft.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

The only time I ever got serious about actually targeting players was the year we had #12 - but I did it positionally - areas of need: EDGE, S, TE - selecting 3 players for each category.

EDGE - Burns (and I cant remember the others) - we selected Gary
S - Adderley, CJG, Savage
TE - Hockenson, Fant, Sterneberger.

That was it. The only time I selected / researched players beforehand. I've no problem doing "research" on the players after they're actually drafted - then, most of all - seeing them play. When judgement actually matters.

I don't get super into it either.  I usually look at what I think the team really needs just to familiarize myself with some of the prospects.  And my interest is completely random year by year.  I am looking at a lot this year.  I will be impressed with myself if I have even heard of any of the guys we take after the third round.  

• Like 1

With Gute he likes to use his early draft picks on players who ticks the following criteria:

1. Young rookie rather than older rookie.
2. High SPARQ scores for position
3. Solid college production
4. Height (depending on position)

We should be able to whittle down the list of prospects and figure out who he may draft. I think we get too caught up on "names" and don't take into account the factors above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

With Gute he likes to use his early draft picks on players who ticks the following criteria:

1. Young rookie rather than older rookie.
2. High SPARQ scores for position
3. Solid college production
4. Height (depending on position)

We should be able to whittle down the list of prospects and figure out who he may draft. I think we get too caught up on "names" and don't take into account the factors above.

1. High impact Position.

• Like 2

Off the top of my head:

I remember wanting the Packers to take Lacy and Cobb in the 1st round and super happy when they came to us in the 2nd. Espeically Cobb.

Was super pissed we took Jennings, we traded the orginal pick to the Pats who took WR Chad Jackson, who I thought was such a great WR I was so annoyed!!!

Super happy when we got Abdul Hodge in the 3rd.

Hated the Robert Ferguson pick.

Loved the Derrick Mays pick and the year before Antonio Freeman

2021: wanted elijah moore
2020: wanted denzel mims
2019: wanted brian burns at 12 and aj brown at 21
2018: wanted derwin james at 14, after the trade back and derwin went off the board i think i was so pissed i didn't give af
2017: don't remember, didn't really pay attention too much this year
2016: wanted myles jack or chris jones 
2015: wanted stephone anthony
2014: wanted ra'shede hageman i think
2013: wanted cordarrelle patterson 
2012: wanted nick perry 
2011: wanted brooks reed i think
2010: wanted dez bryant or bryan bulaga 
2009: wanted brian orakpo at 9 and everette brown at 26
2008: wanted desean jackson 
2007: i think after marshawn went off the board i was so upset i didn't care, don't remember who i wanted or liked
2006: wanted aj hawk 

• Like 1

Usually go through and make a top 100 before diving specifically into a position, but decided to expedite my WR rankings & NFL comp (if they hit, obviously plenty of these guys will bust and never come close)

Tier 1:

1. Chris Olave => Stefon Diggs
  2. Garrett Wilson => Diontae Johnson
  3. Treylon Burks => Jumbo Deebo Samuel
  4. Jameson Williams (would be #2 if not for injury) => De'Sean Jackson

Tier 2:

1. George Pickens => Devante Parker
  2. Drake London => Alshon Jeffrey
  3. Jahan Dotson => Greg Jennings
  4. Christian Watson => Javon Walker

Tier 3: 

1. John Metchie (would be tier 2 if not for injury) => Golden Tate
  2. Alec Pierce => Gabriel Davis
  3. Skyy Moore => Sterling Shepard
  4. David Bell => James Jones
  5. Khalil Shakir => Nelson Agholor
  6. Romeo Doubs => Martavis Bryant

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Remember all the shock when we drafted Nick Collins same for Greg Jennings.  Jordy Nelson came out of left field as did Davante...This year I'm thinking Pierce as a dark horse.  

More recently, Jenkins and Dillon were both shockers for me.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -

Thoughts:

- WR needs talent infusion
- WR & TE have serious issues beyond 2022
- S sneaky high need - both starters' futures unclear
- DL needs another stud
- Edge needs an up & comer
- Who plays slot CB?
- RB & OL solid long term