2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I don't find him overly impressive. He had some good pass rush sets vs Iowa but overall I am kinda lukewarm on him. Fine with him in the 20s though, he's young. 

He's not a bender. He's like Gary, he wants to bring you to the QB with him and then shed. Guys like that usually take a bit longer to get used to the NFL OL, but they're usually more versatile when they do. You're not lining Brian Burns or Von Miller at 3T.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not a bender. He's like Gary, he wants to bring you to the QB with him and then shed. Guys like that usually take a bit longer to get used to the NFL OL, but they're usually more versatile when they do. You're not lining Brian Burns or Von Miller at 3T.

I have a preferece for bend, which is why I wanted Burns a few years ago over Gary. Especially right now I would prefer some players who are ready to contribute early and are more productive on their rookie deal. Karlaftis is a nice player just not sure how he fits with the win now attitude. 

He definitely would have been someone TT salivated for 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yea if you want a Z-type replacement, I think you're looking at Karlaftis, C. Thomas and Paschal, maybe in that order. Mid round guys fitting that same mold would be Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas. 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I have a preferece for bend, which is why I wanted Burns a few years ago over Gary. Especially right now I would prefer some players who are ready to contribute early and are more productive on their rookie deal. Karlaftis is a nice player just not sure how he fits with the win now attitude. 

He definitely would have been someone TT salivated for 

If Karlaftis is the Packers first pick fans should be doing backflips with excitement. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea if you want a Z-type replacement, I think you're looking at Karlaftis, C. Thomas and Paschal, maybe in that order. Mid round guys fitting that same mold would be Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas. 

I see that for Gary. I'd want to add some athletic diversity into the OLB room personally if the opportunity is there. 

That said i wouldnt say no to stacking the room with any kind of talent as Preston gives you some versatility as well.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I see that for Gary. I'd want to add some athletic diversity into the OLB room personally if the opportunity is there. 

That said i wouldnt say no to stacking the room with any kind of talent as Preston gives you some versatility as well.

It'll be interesting because if we go EDGE high in the draft, which most people think will happen, it'll be the first time we truly get to see Barry's influence on what type of EDGE player he wants. In LA, he had lighter EDGE guys like Floyd who played around that 245-250 mark. In GB, it's been heavier EDGE guys like the Smiths and Gary who typically play in the 265-270 range. 

So, if you see the Packers select a twitchier guy like Ebiketie, Bonitto or even a Sam Williams, that's a slightly different type of EDGE player than what they currently have in Smith/Gary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It'll be interesting because if we go EDGE high in the draft, which most people think will happen, it'll be the first time we truly get to see Barry's influence on what type of EDGE player he wants. In LA, he had lighter EDGE guys like Floyd who played around that 245-250 mark. In GB, it's been heavier EDGE guys like the Smiths and Gary who typically play in the 265-270 range. 

So, if you see the Packers select a twitchier guy like Ebiketie, Bonitto or even a Sam Williams, that's a slightly different type of EDGE player than what they currently have in Smith/Gary. 

Berry has two guys in that mold who were very successful, not sure why we would leave that mold and try something else.

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I think we are getting an ER with our 22nd pick (Mafe or Ebiketie probably) and then we take a WR with the 28th. Then we go and get a safety/SCB in the second.

I'd be totally shocked if the Packers took Mafe.  He's green and old (24 in November) which is a bad combination.  The Packers love to take young athletes up high.  The draft media seldom plays this up, but I think it's much more likely the Packers make a move for a Karlaftis (who will turn 21 in April) than sit back and take one of the guys who come discounted because they're older.

N.B. adjusting for age is not about "how long he'll play for you" it's about over/underrating a player because they are closer to/further from their physical peak than the people they're playing against.  Basically every starter in the NFL is going to be at or close to their physical apex or on the downside but cagey enough to make up for it, and some guys in college will make their living through "no 19 year old can block this 23 year old man".

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, TheEagle said:

London or Burks at 22 + Watkins, Pickens, Pierce, or Tolbert in round 2 makes a ton of sense for the Packers. I just doubt whether they’ll be available where we draft.

I see that as the most likely and probably the "highest chance at success" route, but if Jameson Williams falls to 22 would you entertain taking the risk and grabbing him? I'm obviously of the mindset of "win now" which he doesn't necessarily fall under that motto with the injury, but I can't help seeing Justin Jefferson flashes when watching his highlights. 

Just now, MaryTsraining3s said:

I see that as the most likely and probably the "highest chance at success" route, but if Jameson Williams falls to 22 would you entertain taking the risk and grabbing him? I'm obviously of the mindset of "win now" which he doesn't necessarily fall under that motto with the injury, but I can't help seeing Justin Jefferson flashes when watching his highlights. 

I'd take Jameson Williams at #22 .. that truly elite speed is too much to pass up despite the ACL injury.  He's young .. he'll recover 100 percent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd take Jameson Williams at #22 .. that truly elite speed is too much to pass up despite the ACL injury.  He's young .. he'll recover 100 percent.

That would be an interesting choice: London, Burks or Jameson...........

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Depending on what else they get,  Williams should be ready later in the year, but Williams late start probably gets Rodgers back in 2023.  

Not sure how big of a red flag the ACL is for the Packers.

Edited by NFLGURU