2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Does GB want a high volume WR vs a spread it around attack?

How is accounting for 40+% of the passing game not volume?

I think they want to spread it around, but need to have guys you can go to.  

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

One thing I find interesting is that I don't know of any site that has Christian Watson rated as a 1st round pick. Yet a lot of people have the Packers taking him in their mocks at 28. I just wonder if he is being overhyped.

I don't see Watson as a 1st round pick for the Packers, it would be out of character for Gutes to take a 23 YO project from an FCS school with a 1st rounder. 

• Like 3

Just now, squire12 said:

So how would watson not fit that?

There is place for Watson on any team.  He is primarily a deep threat.  His short route running is suspect.  Most of his catches he's wide open at the Div 2 level.  That's not going to happen in the NFL.  Many of his targets will be contested.  He has a lot of drops against inferior talent.  With his measurables he should be dominating, instead he's got 20 drops.  

I won't be disappointed if they take him in the 2nd round, you just gotta know what he is and what he isn't.   Again, there is a role for him on any team,  I just don't think he's a go to guy on any specific play and situation.  JMO

Watson is about at the top of my 'do not want' list based on where I'm seeing him mocked or ranked.  Starting to see him gone by pick 40, and often by 30, and I wouldn't want any part of him there. Especially over Dotson or Pickens who should be going in a similar part of the draft.

No I'd rather pass on him and take someone like Pierce at 53. Similar skillset but I feel more confident in Pierce long term. Or even a Jalen Tolbert in the late second or early third is better than Watson at the end of the first/beginning of the second. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Was this one already reported? I’ve lost track

Thornton is a string bean but can fly.  Might be something to consider in the mid rounds depending on what they do early.  He's gotta add some weight though.  Big time wheels but he's built like a field goal upright.  

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Yeah, I think he's a #2.  I'm just not sure he's a volume guy who can go for 8 catches for 150.  If he's not that guy you need someone who is.  

Pierce and Pickens are a couple of guys who can get volume, just not sure if the Packers are interested.

How is Pierce a high volume guy and Watson isn't? Neither were high volume guys in college--primarily because they weren't schemed to get a lot of balls. Neither have great hands. Pierce has a bit better hands. Neither is MVS bad. I'd be surprised if Watson legitimately had 19 drops. I've watched a fair bit of him. He has the occasional focus drop when NDSU isn't running it 12 plays in a row, and he finally gets a ball his way, but I don't remember that many drops. Then again, I've read he had fewer and fewer drops as his career went on, so maybe he had a lot of drops early in his career. Pierce is better with contested catches though. I'd be happy with Watson, Pickens, or Pierce. Give me one of those guys or maybe Jalen Tolbert.

3 hours ago, R T said:

I don't see Watson as a 1st round pick for the Packers, it would be out of character for Gutes to take a 23 YO project from an FCS school with a 1st rounder. 

He's such a great fit for what we need though. Fastest of the big guys, jet sweeps, kick returner, good blocker, runs better routes than you'd expect (much better than Tolbert at the Senior Bowl).

Edited by TheEagle

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Drake London Pro Day is today. Probably hoping for 4.6+ if you want him at 22. 

I think his Pro Day got moved to later this month, he apparantly tweeked something over the weekend. But I could be wrong cos I only heard that in passing. 

12 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

One thing I find interesting is that I don't know of any site that has Christian Watson rated as a 1st round pick. Yet a lot of people have the Packers taking him in their mocks at 28. I just wonder if he is being overhyped.

12 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I think you’re seeing that because the scheme fit is actually quite remarkable when it comes to Watson and there’s an expectation that there will be a run on WR’s before the Packers are on the clock and they assume the Packers will “reach” to fill a need. 

Hands are concerning with him.  As is the level of competition.

But as an athlete, he's elite.  If those hands were solid and if he played better competition, that's the #1 WR in this class.

I don't want to gamble with him in the first, just based on those hands.

But yah, I feel like folks out there are looking at the athlete projected into our system.  And it fits.  If the run on WR happens, they are assuming a "reach" by GB.  (Which we won't do.)

Bill Huber / SI -  The Green Bay Packers have a gaping hole at receiver that coach Matt LaFleur is in a hurry to fill.

“You’ve got to look at the totally of that room and just the collective efforts that each individual brings to that room. Certainly, if you look at our roster right now, we definitely need to get some speed in that room. We need a legit guy that can take off the top of the coverage. We lost a guy that was pretty good at doing that.”

That guy the Packers lost was Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The guy who could fill that role is Baylor’s Tyquan Thornton.

Thornton was the fastest man at this year’s Scouting Combine, running his 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds. According to his Instagram, he is in Green Bay for a predraft visit.

In four seasons, Thornton caught 143 passes for 2,242 yards and 19 touchdowns. After playing in only six games in 2020, Thornton had a massive senior campaign with 62 receptions for 948 yards (15.3 average) and 10 touchdowns.