53 man roster predictions

candyman93

Fair or not fair, GMs don’t cut their draft picks after 1-2 years. We’ve seen how Berry reacts when he likes a player. He’s very aggressive pursing them. So I seriously doubt he’d just cut his own guys he picked.

Also, money will play a factor in who makes the final 53. So this probably eliminates Billings and Hodge (unfortunately). I like MJ Stewart, but he’s a 6th CB making 1 mil. Stanton makes half of what Janovich makes and he’s 2 years younger.

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Fair or not fair, GMs don’t cut their draft picks after 1-2 years. We’ve seen how Berry reacts when he likes a player. He’s very aggressive pursing them. So I seriously doubt he’d just cut his own guys he picked.

At the same time, a lot of these guys are now “his guys” via draft or FA. From everything I’ve read about the coaching staff, it’s a very egoless group and I’d have to imagine that’s a top down thing.

Id be disappointed and surprised if Berry let his ego get in the way of making good decisions.

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Also, money will play a factor in who makes the final 53. So this probably eliminates Billings and Hodge (unfortunately). I like MJ Stewart, but he’s a 6th CB making 1 mil. Stanton makes half of what Janovich makes and he’s 2 years younger.

Billings would only net us a hundred thousand or something if we cut him, it’s not terribly beneficial. He’s not making enough that we’re necessarily stuck with him, but cutting him isn’t really gonna help much financially.

Hodge, yeah, his contract is not guaranteed.  He’s likely gone.

MJ Stewart has also been playing some safety, so I could see keeping him because of his versatility and slot ability.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Another factor to consider is other players being cut from other teams.

This is always interesting.

In particular I still think our kicker for week one is probably somewhere else right now. 

Can also see us maybe adding a linebacker and maybe someone on the OL depth. 

29 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Why do a lot of you guys act like it's a forgone conclusion that Hodge gets cut? It's definitely a possibility but I think there's a good chance he makes the 53.

Because he’s set to make 2 million and any money saved gets rolled over.

OBJ, Juice, Higgins, DPJ and Schwartz are locks.

Felton is likely the 6th option as he can play special teams and offers RB versatility as well.

Just my opinion…

Could see us doing something like we did with Greg Robinson where we cut a vet who won’t have to clear waivers with the promise of bringing them back 

then put Delpit and whomever else on IR-Return and have a few more open roster spots 

• Like 1

Here are the only 2 ways Hodge stays:

1. We roll with only 3 TEs. That “opens” a spot.

2. We release D’ernest Johnson. Allowing a spot for Felton at RB.

Felton is going to have a spot on this roster. The problem for Hodge is that he’s not beating out the top 4 WRs + Schwartz because of Schwartz being a high draft pick.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Could see us doing something like we did with Greg Robinson where we cut a vet who won’t have to clear waivers with the promise of bringing them back 

then put Delpit and whomever else on IR-Return and have a few more open roster spots 

Its going to be incredibly depressing to IR Delpit.

BTW when does all of this have to happen by?

Edited by AkronsWitness