2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For a coach who wants to win, I think it’s more likely he goes after Matt Ryan or another veteran via trade again.  

I think a first-round pick is what needs to happen, but there is a risk for Rivera that pick doesn’t pan out, and that’s all she wrote.  

This is my thought as well. I think they go all in on Ryan

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I gotta look into it, but I can't remember it being very cap feasible. 

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/what-restructuring-matt-ryans-contract-means-for-the-future-of-the-falcons/ 

That means that Ryan has an additional $7 million per year in prorated bonus, making him very difficult to trade or cut throughout the remainder of his contract without the organization taking on a massive amount of dead cap. This all points towards the Falcons being tied to Matt Ryan through at least 2022 and may eliminate Fontenot selecting a quarterback in this year’s draft.

The former Boston College Eagle had the highest cap hit in the NFL, coming in at over $40 million. Fontenot restructured virtually all of Ryan’s $21.925 million base salary, dropping his cap hit down to $26.295 million, getting the Falcons below the $182.5 million cap. However, it creates the potential for a lot of future dead money if Ryan doesn’t perform well in 2021 — over $40 million in 2022 and over $15 million in 2023.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It just seems like you're grasping at straws here.  That would be completely out of character for the way they've operated so far.  I also don't sense any desperation from anyone. 

No, the problem isn’t that @lavar703 a guy on a football message board is “grasping at straws,” the problem is that Rivera’s and the Marty’s have given the fanbase and the media the impression that THEY’RE GRASPING AT STRAWS!

Rivera is definitely going to get a few more years to right this ship but, I don’t really believe that he will solve this team’s long term QB issue. He’s just not the guy for it.

He’s not forward thinking enough, he doesn’t put the perception out there that he’s the HC who wants to draft and develop a 21 or 22 year old QB into our long term starter. Rivera gives the impression of the old HC who wants to sign or trade for a veteran QB who - outside of Rodgers, Watson & Wilson - will Make our team better but not make us into a contender. Rivera seems like he’s looking for the quick fix at the QB position.

So, it’s hard to trust that he’s going to take a QB round 1 or 2 next year and develop that guy for a year so hopefully they can be our franchise QB for the next 15 plus year.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, the problem isn’t that @lavar703 a guy on a football message board is “grasping at straws,” the problem is that Rivera’s and the Marty’s have given the fanbase and the media the impression that THEY’RE GRASPING AT STRAWS!

Rivera is definitely going to get a few more years to right this ship but, I don’t really believe that he will solve this team’s long term QB issue. He’s just not the guy for it.

He’s not forward thinking enough, he doesn’t put the perception out there that he’s the HC who wants to draft and develop a 21 or 22 year old QB into our long term starter. Rivera gives the impression of the old HC who wants to sign or trade for a veteran QB who - outside of Rodgers, Watson & Wilson - will Make our team better but not make us into a contender. Rivera seems like he’s looking for the quick fix at the QB position.

So, it’s hard to trust that he’s going to take a QB round 1 or 2 next year and develop that guy for a year so hopefully they can be our franchise QB for the next 15 plus year.

Well, let's look at the two years here: Year 1 - he had a young guy who was given opportunities and, because he's a bonehead, squandered them. That's not on Rivera. 

What is on Rivera was that he didn't take a QB in Round 1 this year. We've beat him up on that and deservedly so. Jury seems out early on Fields, but maybe we dodged a bullet there. We'll see. Mac Jones, who was the guy I wanted anyway, seems like we may have FUBAR'd that one. What Rivera did do was go out and try and get a veteran because he thought the defense could carry the team. That's the real mistake. This defense is terrible. 

I don't get where the perception idea you have this though. I don't think we have enough to say one way or another. He had Cam Newton for his career. He didn't really have much to worry about. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For a coach who wants to win, I think it’s more likely he goes after Matt Ryan or another veteran via trade again.  

I think a first-round pick is what needs to happen, but there is a risk for Rivera that pick doesn’t pan out, and that’s all she wrote.  

Sadly, I think so too. We’ll trade two firsts to ATL & then roll with Matt Ryan who will do just enough at his age to keep us anywhere from 7 to 10 wins for as long as he’s our QB. 😂 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

If we end up in the Top 5-6, I expect them to draft a QB.

The QB they will probably end up drafting? Willis.

Top 5-10 could be Willis or Howell that we take bc while Howell hasn’t had the year we all thought he would - in part bc Dyami, Newsome & the 2 great RBs he had last year are in the pros - Howell still has a lot of talent and a lot of potential. When I want him him play I see a Baker Mayfield type QB and I think we can win with that type of QB if the young players on our defense continue to develop into good/great players.  

Edited by turtle28

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Top 5-10 could be Willis or Howell that we take bc while Howell hasn’t had the year we all thought he would - in part bc Dyami, Newsome & the 2 great RBs he had last year are in the pros - Howell still has a lot of talent and a lot of potential. When I want him him play I see a Baker Mayfield type QB and I think we can win with that type of QB if the young players on our defense continue to develop into good/great players.  

I think Howell will only be drafted in the 1st if a team is outside the Top 6 and is desperate for a QB (*) or another team sneaks back in and grabs him at the end of the round (so they can get the 5th year option with him if he pans out). I think right now, he's a high 2nd rounder. 

(*) So yeah, you're right -> that could be us.