2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

49 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I honestly think he needs to be benched when he's back healthy. Maybe that will open his eyes to that he's a pro athlete and needs to take care of his body and health. And come back in 2022 to win a starting OT job. Bc Fant and Moses haven't played bad for us, to where they should just automatically be benched bc Becton is health. 

Agreed, although I wonder how injured Moses is.  The questions are:

1.  Who will play RT in 2022?  Moses could if JD resigns him.

2.  Who plays LT?  Fant can and has done well.  Run blocking is meh.  Should JD trust Mekhi?

3.  Should we draft a top OT?  If Moses isn't resigned, that leaves a big hole.  If Becton doesnt get his head out of his ***, that will be two big holes (sounds weird typing this).  Fant isn't the future.

So is drafting a RT in round 1 more important than OC?  This is assuming our other FRP is on D.  Personally, ATM, I like OT and PR in round 1 and OC and DB in round 2.  So much will depend on FA.

OT has honestly been the least of our problems.  C and RG have been abysmal.  The only real times I'm seeing pressure off the edge is when teams blitz and the Tackle slides in and misses the assignment.

Edit- I mean, even Edoga and McDermott weren't awful off the bench from what I recall.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Kayvon going #1 so that isn’t happening

I don't think Kavon goes 1. It is extreme rare that a DE/Edge guy goes 1. Lions pick 1 and grab the best QB and have Goff play out his last year and the rookie can sit which the Jets should have done with Sam and Zach. This would have made a lot more sense to me. I have always said NO rookie QB should ever start the first 8 games unless all other options are injured. Yes I know what the gets got out of Sam for draft picks but keeping Sam for his last year and then starting Zach the following year would be more worth it than the draft picks. Lets face it the Jets suck with draft picks. 

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

OT has honestly been the least of our problems.  C and RG have been abysmal.  The only real times I'm seeing pressure off the edge is when teams blitz and the Tackle slides in and misses the assignment.

BINGO If we can get a center and another guard with the fire power we have now that will be something. Off course that will all depend how Wilson works out. This guy Moore get open so fast just like Hill with KC. And this kid Carter sure can run.

I also agree that Becton should be on the bench this year. Fant has been excellent pass blocking. Better than Becton was and fans don’t want to admit it because we love to get overly excited about players we draft. 

Honestly if we are in a position to draft Hutchinson and Neal I would personally trade Becton on draft day.  Fant and Moses are fine at RT and we could always draft and develop one later on. Sign a RG and we are in business. I don’t love McGovern but he is far better than what we’ve had at C since Mangold. 

For these schemes to really work…we need pass rushers (multiple) and instinctive and athletic LBs miles before we need to upgrade the secondary. I think Hamilton is a great football player but for what we ask our  DBs to do he would such a waste here. As would another top 10 corner who is meant to play man. Get the pass rushers and LBs first. Notice how Bellichick makes all these late round picks and I drafted free agent corners become stars? Draft athletes and coach. Our DBs have held their own honestly. Give them a pass rush and LBs that don’t suck in this system and it’s a good D. 

Depending on value, I have no issues if we traded Becton or Q.  I don't see Q happening but I still think he's overvalued around the league.  

What I really want to see is mid round picks on OL that are reliable to back up and potentially start.  Nailed LG, can easily nail Cin the draft, if Becton is here then one tackle spot should be good.  If Fant and Moses are reliable I think we can plug in a vet wherever Becton isn't then just grab a mid round OG to eventually start.  This leaves us plenty of room to give Saleh his front 7.

43 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed, although I wonder how injured Moses is.  The questions are:

1.  Who will play RT in 2022?  Moses could if JD resigns him.

2.  Who plays LT?  Fant can and has done well.  Run blocking is meh.  Should JD trust Mekhi?

3.  Should we draft a top OT?  If Moses isn't resigned, that leaves a big hole.  If Becton doesnt get his head out of his ***, that will be two big holes (sounds weird typing this).  Fant isn't the future.

So is drafting a RT in round 1 more important than OC?  This is assuming our other FRP is on D.  Personally, ATM, I like OT and PR in round 1 and OC and DB in round 2.  So much will depend on FA.

I actually love the idea of drafting Neal with our 1st. Playing him at RT and letting Fant and Becton battle it out at LT. Make Becton work for it

52 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I also agree that Becton should be on the bench this year. Fant has been excellent pass blocking. Better than Becton was and fans don’t want to admit it because we love to get overly excited about players we draft. 

Honestly if we are in a position to draft Hutchinson and Neal I would personally trade Becton on draft day.  Fant and Moses are fine at RT and we could always draft and develop one later on. Sign a RG and we are in business. I don’t love McGovern but he is far better than what we’ve had at C since Mangold. 

For these schemes to really work…we need pass rushers (multiple) and instinctive and athletic LBs miles before we need to upgrade the secondary. I think Hamilton is a great football player but for what we ask our  DBs to do he would such a waste here. As would another top 10 corner who is meant to play man. Get the pass rushers and LBs first. Notice how Bellichick makes all these late round picks and I drafted free agent corners become stars? Draft athletes and coach. Our DBs have held their own honestly. Give them a pass rush and LBs that don’t suck in this system and it’s a good D. 

It sure looks like we have major concerns about Becton, he came into training camp out shape than he had head problems than his shoulder pain than hurt his knee or feet, carrying close to 400 lbs sure isn't helping.

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

OT has honestly been the least of our problems.

I am looking towards next year which I think is what we were talking about. I would prefer to keep Fant and Moses to eliminate the need to draft an OT high in the draft. But, if Moses goes and Mekhi does not come back this year or comes back and plays less than stellar, then what do we do next year?  That was the gist of the thread, I think.

Edited by xrade

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

Wait. What?  Can you repeat the Ty thing. I like hearing it from you.

Never said I didn’t like Ty. Said he should never start over Carter. I actually disliked when we signed Coleman Bc it would take snaps away from both of them.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Never said I didn’t like Ty. Said he should never start over Carter. I actually disliked when we signed Coleman Bc it would take snaps away from both of them.

I know. Just having a little fun with it.