2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

We're at the point of the season where young guys should be a bit more accustomed to the NFL. Rookies a lot of the time play quite a bit better the last few games of the season. We need to see this from this young group. Yes the spotlight is on Wilson. But everyone needs to be better. In large the young guys who have looked like good players for us, have really only been Carter, AVT, Moore, Hall and MC2. It's a decent group... but we need more from them and others. Guys like Mims need to be playing. Becton needs to get healthy. Davis needs to do something at FS. Another outside CB needs to try and show up. Heck even start playing Yeboah down the stretch since we have nothing at TE. 

Here's a list of top players at positions we need. Obviously a lot of these guys will get resigned or tagged. So whos available will change. But we should have nearly 60mill in cap space.

WR: Adams, AR15, Godwin, M.Williams, Gallup

TE: Gesicki, Schultz, Engram, Howard, Njoku, Uzomah

OG: Scherff. Teller, Tomlinson

OC: Jones

DE: Reddick, Barnett, Ogbah, Fowler Jr

LB: K.Young, Bentley, Walker Jr, Ragland

CB: Gilmore, D.Williams, JC Jackson, D.Jackson

S: Mattieu, Bates, M.Williams

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Here's a list of top players at positions we need. Obviously a lot of these guys will get resigned or tagged. So whos available will change. But we should have nearly 60mill in cap space.

WR, TE, S are a must.  Interior OL would give us flexibility in the draft.  DE is a no no because as of now we are looking at Hutchinson or Thib.

We desperately need something at TE in free agency. We have plenty of weaknesses but that has to be our single worst position group.

Although to be honest I couldn't name our other starting safety along with Davis off the top of my head, and presumably we aren't bringing Maye back. And Joyner is a FA too. Yeah okay, we could really use some help there too.

3 minutes ago, TheChad said:

We desperately need something at TE in free agency. We have plenty of weaknesses but that has to be our single worst position group.

Although to be honest I couldn't name our other starting safety along with Davis off the top of my head, and presumably we aren't bringing Maye back. And Joyner is a FA too. Yeah okay, we could really use some help there too.

Agreed. The issue is outside of Gesicki (who I doubt hits FA) it's all guys with potential but for whatever reason just haven't lived up to what they should be. So while it will be better than what we have. They have to turn things around with new scenery. Which it could happen.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Our history with FA defensive players has been a bummer except for Mosley. I can't think of one other FA defensive player who was a standout in the last several years. I guess the last were Pace & Scott.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. The issue is outside of Gesicki (who I doubt hits FA) it's all guys with potential but for whatever reason just haven't lived up to what they should be. So while it will be better than what we have. They have to turn things around with new scenery. Which it could happen.

Would agree with Gesicki not reaching FA. Give me Njoku (a NJ guy) or Howard. I feel like those two guys haven’t been given a fair shake in their situations. Howard especially. 

The rest feel like guys that are playing up for a contract that could disappear once paid. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They have to turn things around with new scenery. Which it could happen.

Umm....have your forgotten the Jets Law of Thermodynamics?  Talent flows out not in.  Don't mess with me man, I'm a scientist.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Our history with FA defensive players has been a bummer except for Mosley. I can't think of one other FA defensive player who was a standout in the last several years. I guess the last were Pace & Scott.

Jenkins back in the day was a nice pick up. Pace wasn’t that bad. Mosley actually hasn’t been good if you ask me. And I say that only Bc if his salary. He’s the 4th highest paid LB at 17mill this year and he’s not a top 4 LB. so he hasn’t lived up to his contract. And I like Mosley. But he’s been far from a success here. Davis hasn’t been good and Lawson we can only “hope” can be the player we paid for. But Achilles are a tough injury to come back from.

We pretty much have to sign at least 1 starting S in FA with really no one back there for us. Maye is done here (or at least he should be). So we need both a FS and SS. We also with our 2 1st are very primed to get a good Edge or CB (or even both). So we can focus a bit more on offense in FA. Maybe go hard after Scherff and a top WR. Spend most the cap on those 2. Draft a C and the OL is set and WR should be a good great group as well.

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

Umm....have your forgotten the Jets Law of Thermodynamics?  Talent flows out not in.  Don't mess with me man, I'm a scientist.

Sadly it’s pretty much true. We waste kids careers more so than any team out there.

I would rather see the Jets double dip at TE in the draft than going after FA's. The draft has some good talent at the position other than Wydermyer, there are about 9 others who could be effective for the Jets in rounds 2-4.

Likewise I wouldn't want the Jets to sign a WR, they did that this year and it hasn't exactly worked out.

But if the cards fall right for the Jets Drake London would be a game changer for the Jets and make the WR's corps one to recon with.

FA signings have been a disaster for the Jets because they looked for value rather than building blocks. N.E. spent like this was the last season they would ever play and looked how it worked out for them.

J.D. at some point has to make a foundational signing, and not based on what could potentially turn out to be a good signing.

7 minutes ago, Big T said:

I would rather see the Jets double dip at TE in the draft than going after FA's. The draft has some good talent at the position other than Wydermyer, there are about 9 others who could be effective for the Jets in rounds 2-4.

Likewise I wouldn't want the Jets to sign a WR, they did that this year and it hasn't exactly worked out.

But if the cards fall right for the Jets Drake London would be a game changer for the Jets and make the WR's corps one to recon with.

FA signings have been a disaster for the Jets because they looked for value rather than building blocks. N.E. spent like this was the last season they would ever play and looked how it worked out for them.

J.D. at some point has to make a foundational signing, and not based on what could potentially turn out to be a good signing.

I disagree. I'm the type of guy that thinks TE is not that important. If you need an extra blocker bring in the swing T to do the work. If you need an extra WR then you put your 4th or 5th WR in. They will most likely be a better blocker or better receiver than a middle of the road TE. I only think there are 3 or 4 TE worth having and the rest is nothing special.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I disagree. I'm the type of guy that thinks TE is not that important. If you need an extra blocker bring in the swing T to do the work. If you need an extra WR then you put your 4th or 5th WR in. They will most likely be a better blocker or better receiver than a middle of the road TE. I only think there are 3 or 4 TE worth having and the rest is nothing special.

LOL, I respect your insight, we just disagree. We don't have a home run hitter on Offense, and our TE's are a waste of the position. As for WR, every team that is a contender has a major threat at WR. So to me it makes perfect sense to give Wilson as many targets as possible. Moore is a good indicator of the need at WR, otherwise they would be lost in the weeds without him.

Look at any of the contenders, they have major players at WR and TE. Heck look at any of the S.B. winners the past 10 years, TE's have been a major player in those teams winning and getting to the dance.