2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

If I had to point out something good, it's that Wilson is making smarter decisions throwing the ball. I'm still waiting for him to prove he's the franchise QB, but glad to see progress somewhere. 

With ML coming back to call plays and the players we're likely going to add next offseason, we will definitely see some sort of progress on offense. My main concern is the defense. They are giving up more points per game than the #1 offense in the league with a MVP QB is scoring. So Wilson could literally have the numbers Brady have and we still might not hit .500. I'm so glad this draft is loaded on defense. 

49 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah Douglas definitely struck out on the first one but 2021 has been a very nice one so hopefully more of that going forward. The results aren’t there obviously but at least we have a GM that for once prioritizes the right positions and prioritizes getting draft capital for players he doesn’t want to pay. Fans are way too quick to want to fire this guy. GMs jobs take several years this isn’t like a HC who you can almost tell after a year or two that they are not the answer. We asked Douglas to tear and down and start from scratch and fans are confused why we aren’t good lol. I think we would have seen a better showing this year if we stayed healthier so hopefully after another offseason and better draft we get closer to where we want to be in 2022. 

Sad thing is Becton, had a good first year and he did make a difference on the O line, but like everything else nothing is working out for the Jets, any more.

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If I had to point out something good, it's that Wilson is making smarter decisions throwing the ball. I'm still waiting for him to prove he's the franchise QB, but glad to see progress somewhere. 

With ML coming back to call plays and the players we're likely going to add next offseason, we will definitely see some sort of progress on offense. My main concern is the defense. They are giving up more points per game than the #1 offense in the league with a MVP QB is scoring. So Wilson could literally have the numbers Brady have and we still might not hit .500. I'm so glad this draft is loaded on defense. 

Wilson is a lot stronger than he looks yesterday he broke away from Miami players when they thought they had him sacked, he looks like Fran Tarkenton, om some plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah Douglas definitely struck out on the first one but 2021 has been a very nice one so hopefully more of that going forward. The results aren’t there obviously but at least we have a GM that for once prioritizes the right positions and prioritizes getting draft capital for players he doesn’t want to pay.

Agreed, but lets look back to this time last year or even prior to TC this year.  Becton was a huge get by JD (future perenial pro bowler), Mims was a steal in round 2 to be paired with Davis on the outside and Moore in the slot, best punter in round 6, Hall was a steal (although I don't think we knew that as much then).  The rest we kind of talked ourselves into liking, except Morgan.  I believe most of us cheered for Huff as a UDFA.  Not so sure about the rest.

The point is after one year JD has now struck out?  Personally, I think the new coaching staff has made JD's 2020 draft look poorly.  Foregoing injuries, Becton is not a fit for the type of OL LaFleur wants and we all know about the Mims situation.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

That is another good point, there has to be a reason why there are so many injuries this year than ever before, with all these non contact injuries. Yesterday Sterling Shepherd tore his achilles heal just taking off from the LOS with nobody near him.

To me that tells me sh***y training, diet and sleep.

An athlete should not tear an Achilles just by starting their sprint.  That is something a 50 year old who hasn't run in 20 years does.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah Douglas definitely struck out on the first one but 2021 has been a very nice one so hopefully more of that going forward. The results aren’t there obviously but at least we have a GM that for once prioritizes the right positions and prioritizes getting draft capital for players he doesn’t want to pay. Fans are way too quick to want to fire this guy. GMs jobs take several years this isn’t like a HC who you can almost tell after a year or two that they are not the answer. We asked Douglas to tear and down and start from scratch and fans are confused why we aren’t good lol. I think we would have seen a better showing this year if we stayed healthier so hopefully after another offseason and better draft we get closer to where we want to be in 2022. 

Yes, once again not giving excuses, but the team is riddled with injuries and rookies.  It is a recipe for huge growing pains.  JD and Saleh have a plan, I'm willing to give them time.

If we built up the OL but had Ty Johnson and last year's WRs we would be screaming at JD that Wilson has no one to throw too.  No matter what happened there would be complaints.  Prior GMs put us until a gigantic hole that has been tough to climb out of.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Wilson is a lot stronger than he looks yesterday he broke away from Miami players when they thought they had him sacked, he looks like Fran Tarkenton, om some plays.

This is a really good comparison to Wilson right now. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

The point is after one year JD has now struck out?  Personally, I think the new coaching staff has made JD's 2020 draft look poorly.  Foregoing injuries, Becton is not a fit for the type of OL LaFleur wants and we all know about the Mims situation.

I agree with you. I think the complete change in scheme hasn’t helped either Becton or Mims. That being said I think both players have a work ethic issue. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes, once again not giving excuses, but the team is riddled with injuries and rookies.  It is a recipe for huge growing pains.  JD and Saleh have a plan, I'm willing to give them time.

If we built up the OL but had Ty Johnson and last year's WRs we would be screaming at JD that Wilson has no one to throw too.  No matter what happened there would be complaints.  Prior GMs put us until a gigantic hole that has been tough to climb out of.

Yeah I think they do as well. It’s frustrating on defense more so right now because we’ve always been able to at least play the run well. Now not only do we not generating pressure we are getting gashed in the run game. I just can’t see us taking DBs early. Get a pass rusher and LBs who can fill gaps and run lanes and this defense will be greatly improved. I just can’t get behind drafting a high corner who excels in man and then ask him to be predominantly in cover 3. Talk about a waste of skill and draft resources. As badly as I think we need another pass rusher we need a true MLB. 

Why is Becton not the type of OL that we want? Becton absolutely can play zone. People forgot how freakishly athletic he is and how well he can pull out just because he blew out his knee week 1 by a cheap hit.  

A move I think is necessary is firing Ulbrich at DC, we need to get a real DC because any coach who coaches the worst unit in the league that makes the same mistakes over and over and over again deserves to get fired.

Jets should be aggressive this offseason, they need to not make the same mistakes of past. Push hard to build a good team around Wilson.  He is starting to do a better job of reading a defense, but its hard when his WRs are not getting any separation and dropping passes like crazy. We went from having pretty solid WRs to having among the worst due to Moore and Davis going down. We had nothing at TE all season.   Idk if Wilson is the answer, he hasn't shown enough yet but they need to make sure they put him into position to breakout next season.  He needs to have a big turnaround year 2.  Work on his mechanics, because I know he can be much more accurate than hes been. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah I think they do as well. It’s frustrating on defense more so right now because we’ve always been able to at least play the run well. Now not only do we not generating pressure we are getting gashed in the run game. I just can’t see us taking DBs early. Get a pass rusher and LBs who can fill gaps and run lanes and this defense will be greatly improved. I just can’t get behind drafting a high corner who excels in man and then ask him to be predominantly in cover 3. Talk about a waste of skill and draft resources. As badly as I think we need another pass rusher we need a true MLB. 

Agreed, we need guys who can play 10 yards from the LOS and closer.  We are getting killed there.

But also need to generate pressure.  The edge pressure is non existent.

With all the high first round draft picks the jets, had for the last seven years not one of these players made the 2021 Pro Bowl. Glad to see Q didn't make it, if he made it he would have gotten a five million $ bonus. After Duke Johnson ran thru him around him and over him he is lucky he is not bench for the Jag game. It wasn't Larry Csonka or Jim Kick who did it. It was Duke Johnson Good God. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

With all the high first round draft picks the jets, had for the last seven years not one of these players made the 2021 Pro Bowl. Glad to see Q didn't make it, if he made it he would have gotten a five million $ bonus. After Duke Johnson ran thru him around him and over him he is lucky he is not bench for the Jag game. It wasn't Larry Csonka or Jim Kick who did it. It was Duke Johnson Good God. 

Quinnen got hurt vs Mia, barely played

I was misinformed.

I read that bc we lost and that HOU won that we moved to the 3rd draft spot. Which isn't true. We're still at 4. This week is our last winnable game (we stand no chance against TB and BUF in  a playoff race). Not sure how it shakes out of we lose to JAX where that moves us to. SEA still gets to play DET and CHI so expect that pick to slide a bit as I predicted weeks ago.

I was kind of mad at Zach Wilson what he said to a reporter. The reporter pretty much threw a knife at him and he had no answer. The reporter asked him "The offense is struggling pretty bad what do you think about this? " Zach said "I'm not concerned about this." Umm MORON you should be. You are the key part of it because you touch the ball EVER play. You're suppose to be a leader on this team. Own up to it. This is just another trouble sign for this kid. He is not a leader of a football team. There is no way the Jets beat the Jags. This team has already packed it in months ago. I hope this coaching staff and Zach Wilson come back with a killer attitude next year. You have got to show some fire and emotions.