Fantasy Football 2021

So for those with the bench flexibility to facilitate any of these moves (all of which will be very roster-build dependant), here are some guys that I can say with confidence are going to be popular waiver-adds from Week 2.  So, in other words, if you want to get in on them now while demand is low and the price will be wicked cheap...

QB: Big Ben - Yes, he plays Buffalo this weekend... and then gets the Raiders and the Bengals (both home games for Pittsburgh) in Weeks 2 and 3.  It kind of goes without saying... if you're streaming QB's there a 75% you're not finding a better option than Ben on your wire next week if he's already there now.

RB: Ty Johnson (NYJ) - I'd put low priority on this, but I do think he's going to do enough this weekend to stir up some interest.  Carolina had a young, middling defense last season, but even if we assume some incremental improvement with maturity, I don't see a ton that leads me to believe that they're suddenly going to be a team you can't run on when last season they very much were a team you could run on.  I don't think Johnson is a special back, but he's the classic type of runner that over-achieves in a Shanahan-style rushing attack and it's not like Tevin Coleman has been the portrait of health since he became anything more than a COP-guy after leaving Atlanta.  I know people want Michael Carter to happen, but if the preseason is any indication the Jets are going to slow-play that ascension (he's #4 on the depth chart right now, from what I can tell), so I won't be surprised if Coleman/Johnson is the tandem for at least the first 5 weeks, particularly with them having a Week 6 bye and starting rookie QB.  Plus, Carter's pretty much always been a committee back even going back to UNC, so even if he is annointed the "starter" he's likely still going to merely be the head of the committee and the offense will aim to support 2 runners.

WR: Jakobi Meyers (NE) - He should be owned already in any respectable league, but he will be after Week 1.  The needle is just plain pointing up for him.  When he finally got onto the field last season, he finished with the highest percentage of target:snaps of any receiver on the team... and that was with bad Cam.  He's now got, albeit a rookie, Mac Jones as his QB.  Also, Miami's defense boasts two outstanding boundary corners... and newly-acquired Justin Coleman (not terrible, but nothing special) in the slot.  Couple that with the tendency of the McDaniels offensive scheme to build through the slot and Meyers should at least be productive this week and merit consideration for people who either lose a receiver to injury (it will happen) or get trigger-happy dropping a receiver who underachieved.

WR: Parris Campbell (IND) - This is kind of me calling my shot because there are a lot of stars aligning.  TY Hilton isn't going to start the season, so there are going to be targets he would have gotten to be had.  When he was in Philadelphia, the receiver that Carson Wentz targeted the most consistently was whoever was lined up in the slot.  The Seahawks felt so great about their depth beyond their starting CB's (who were, by and large, victimized by speed last season) that they went out and traded for Sidney Jones - who, himself, has largely underachieved since coming into the league for Philadelphia.  The one wrench in these works could be Nyheim Hines, but there exists a world where Hines can be productive on the touches he's afforded and Campbell still makes the most of the increased target-share he sees in Hilton's absence.  Then consider the Colts next three games are against the Rams (yes, Jalen Ramsey - but the question mark in our secondary has revolved around our nickel), Titans, and Dolphins (see above).

WR: Dyami Brown (WAS) - Curtis Samuel has hit the IR and while he'll be back these season, Dyami Brown has already flashed this preseason and is the type of receiver that can move right into the role of how Scott Turner was using Samuel anyway, while also playing to Fitzmagic's strength as a guy who has a knack for getting loose on fades and streaks down the sideline.

TE: I'll be honest, I don't see anyone I really project to be in high-demand next week and while I could advocate for a speculative pickup of Donald Parham because of the role he could inherit (and the penchant of Joe Lombardi/Sean Payton's offenses to get utility out of oversized-receivers at the TE position especially in the red zone), he's just that speculative.  I don't actually expect Parham to make a huge case that will spike interest in him against Washington.  one thing I will say is keep an eye on Taysom Hill - especially if your league gives him TE eligibility anytime soon.  Trautman's injury, coupled with what we've seen in the past with the chemistry developed between Jameis and the likes of Cameron Brate (and to a lesser degree OJ Howard), coupled with Sean Payton's clear man-crush on Taysom, coupled with the fact that the Saints kept 4(!) QB's on the final roster gives reason to think that Hill may be going back to usage as a general non-QB weapon, especially in the red zone.  If he gets TE eligibility, there's some sneaky potential there at a position that fantasy-wise is a crap-shoot outside the top 4.

D/ST: I'll just say it, the Browns play the Texans... at home... in Week 2.  The Texans are starting Tyrod Taylor and the Browns, beyond just having a talented defense, also play a very ball-control offensive system.  The floor of limiting the opponent to a very low score is there.  The ceiling of generating multiple turnovers from a pass-rush boasting Myles Garrett and Malik Jackson is there.  And the high ceiling that can come with posting a turnover that results directly in a defensive score is very much present with the likes of Denzel Ward, John Johnson, and Troy Hill in the secondary.  And the semi-security that comes if you're streaming defenses and not able to secure an option you love for Week 3 exists because the Brown's week 3 opponent is the visiting Bears, so you'll still have a Top 10-12 option that week on your hands too. 

Edited by Dr LBC

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I think so, yes. I agree with @sammymvpknight that if you want to go off book there, it's probably Kelce. That being said....I think you have to go RB there. 

"Girrllll I'm just thinking about it I'm not going to do it..... I did it..."

So, if it comes back to bite me in the arse, I will not be shocked. But here was the logic running through my head:

Kamara: Severe downgrade at the QB position and Taysom will for sure be seeing an uptick of touches in the redzone
Henry: Ridiculously heavy workload in the two previous years. Usually when a RB sees that many touches with a 2000 yard season, they don't come close to replicating that success the following year
Kelce: Entering his age-32 season and the only TE that's ever produced big numbers at that age is Tony G
Davante: In his prime - In a contract year - Has an MVP QB throwing to him

"You tried too hard to talk yourself into picking Davante." Maybe, but he honestly felt like the safest pick in at #3 in a full PPR league.

21 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

So for those with the bench flexibility to facilitate any of these moves (all of which will be very roster-build dependant), here are some guys that I can say with confidence are going to be popular waiver-adds from Week 2.  So, in other words, if you want to get in on them now while demand is low and the price will be wicked cheap...

QB: Big Ben - Yes, he plays Buffalo this weekend... and then gets the Raiders and the Bengals (both home games for Pittsburgh) in Weeks 2 and 3.  It kind of goes without saying... if you're streaming QB's there a 75% you're not finding a better option than Ben on your wire next week if he's already there now.

RB: Ty Johnson (NYJ) - I'd put low priority on this, but I do think he's going to do enough this weekend to stir up some interest.  Carolina had a young, middling defense last season, but even if we assume some incremental improvement with maturity, I don't see a ton that leads me to believe that they're suddenly going to be a team you can't run on when last season they very much were a team you could run on.  I don't think Johnson is a special back, but he's the classic type of runner that over-achieves in a Shanahan-style rushing attack and it's not like Tevin Coleman has been the portrait of health since he became anything more than a COP-guy after leaving Atlanta.  I know people want Michael Carter to happen, but if the preseason is any indication the Jets are going to slow-play that ascension (he's #4 on the depth chart right now, from what I can tell), so I won't be surprised if Coleman/Johnson is the tandem for at least the first 5 weeks, particularly with them having a Week 6 bye and starting rookie QB.  Plus, Carter's pretty much always been a committee back even going back to UNC, so even if he is annointed the "starter" he's likely still going to merely be the head of the committee and the offense will aim to support 2 runners.

WR: Jakobi Meyers (NE) - He should be owned already in any respectable league, but he will be after Week 1.  The needle is just plain pointing up for him.  When he finally got onto the field last season, he finished with the highest percentage of target:snaps of any receiver on the team... and that was with bad Cam.  He's now got, albeit a rookie, Mac Jones as his QB.  Also, Miami's defense boasts two outstanding boundary corners... and newly-acquired Justin Coleman (not terrible, but nothing special) in the slot.  Couple that with the tendency of the McDaniels offensive scheme to build through the slot and Meyers should at least be productive this week and merit consideration for people who either lose a receiver to injury (it will happen) or get trigger-happy dropping a receiver who underachieved.

WR: Parris Hilton (IND) - This is kind of me calling my shot because there are a lot of stars aligning.  TY Hilton isn't going to start the season, so there are going to be targets he would have gotten to be had.  When he was in Philadelphia, the receiver that Carson Wentz targeted the most consistently was whoever was lined up in the slot.  The Seahawks felt so great about their depth beyond their starting CB's (who were, by and large, victimized by speed last season) that they went out and traded for Sidney Jones - who, himself, has largely underachieved since coming into the league for Philadelphia.  The one wrench in these works could be Nyheim Hines, but there exists a world where Hines can be productive on the touches he's afforded and Hilton still makes the most of the increased target-share he sees in Hilton's absence.  Then consider the Colts next three games are against the Rams (yes, Jalen Ramsey - but the question mark in our secondary has revolved around our nickel), Titans, and Dolphins (see above).

TE: I'll be honest, I don't see anyone I really project to be in high-demand next week and while I could advocate for a speculative pickup of Donald Parham because of the role he could inherit (and the penchant of Joe Lombardi/Sean Payton's offenses to get utility out of oversized-receivers at the TE position especially in the red zone), he's just that speculative.  I don't actually expect Parham to make a huge case that will spike interest in him against Washington.  one thing I will say is keep an eye on Taysom Hill - especially if your league gives him TE eligibility anytime soon.  Trautman's injury, coupled with what we've seen in the past with the chemistry developed between Jameis and the likes of Cameron Brate (and to a lesser degree OJ Howard), coupled with Sean Payton's clear man-crush on Taysom, coupled with the fact that the Saints kept 4(!) QB's on the final roster gives reason to think that Hill may be going back to usage as a general non-QB weapon, especially in the red zone.  If he gets TE eligibility, there's some sneaky potential there at a position that fantasy-wise is a crap-shoot outside the top 4.

D/ST: I'll just say it, the Browns play the Texans... at home... in Week 2.  The Texans are starting Tyrod Taylor and the Browns, beyond just having a talented defense, also play a very ball-control offensive system.  The floor of limiting the opponent to a very low score is there.  The ceiling of generating multiple turnovers from a pass-rush boasting Myles Garrett and Malik Jackson is there.  And the high ceiling that can come with posting a turnover that results directly in a defensive score is very much present with the likes of Denzel Ward, John Johnson, and Troy Hill in the secondary.  And the semi-security that comes if you're streaming defenses and not able to secure an option you love for Week 3 exists because the Brown's week 3 opponent is the visiting Bears, so you'll still have a Top 10-12 option that week on your hands too. 

Insert beavis laugh,  he said Paris Hilton….

On 9/9/2021 at 5:06 PM, beekay414 said:

Decided to just stash Latavius Murray on the end of my bench for S&Gs. I think someone will scoop him relatively quick as an injury replacement or a team with questionable depth. 

Lol I hope he becomes their feature back

QB: Dak, Zach Wilson
RB: Taylor, Swift, Michel, Coleman, Murray
WR: Hill, Evans, Cooper, Thomas, Gallup
TE: Goedert, Gronkowski
DST: Patriots
K: Jason Sanders

Edited by beekay414
Fixed for formatting

Season hasn't really even started and it feels like my team has already been through the ringer. Lost Dobbins to a torn ACL, but was able to grab Gus Edwards before anyone else. Then of course Gus tears his ACL yesterday, but I'm in a meeting at the time and Tyson Williams and Bell have both already been picked up by the time I get to it. Meanwhile Javonte Williams surprinsingly hits the waiver wire and I come in with the winning bid this morning with $14 (out of a $100 budget), and also get Latavius Murray on a $1 bid. And also at least had a great night from Dak to improve my mood as well. 

Don't love that I've burned 15% of my FAAB budget before season started but given I've basically lost my RB2 for the season twice already I feel like I'm in about as good a position as I can realistically have put myself in for now. 

Here's what my team looks like now (10 team, 0.5ppr): 

QB: Dak Prescott
RB: Dalvin Cook
RB: Chase Edmonds
WR: Calvin Ridley
WR: AJ Brown
FLEX: Julio Jones
TE: TJ Hockenson
K: Younghoe Koo
D/ST: San Francisco 

Bench
Javonte Williams
Chase Claypool
Latavius Murray
Will Fuller
Alexander Mattison 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Alexander Mattison

I would drop mattison and pick up Ty Johnson.

Its good to have a handcuff in deep leagues with big rosters, but with a small bench in a 10 team league, you can just be super aggressive with your FAAB money on mattison if dalvin goes down.

Meanwhile, ty johnson has RB2 upside, as @Dr LBC notes above. He fits the mostert profile, and is the only RB with speed on that roster. Coleman is not good and has a bad injury history. Ty johnson will be the lead back in a decent run game with a pretty solid offense in short time. 

After grabbing Javonte Williams I'm feeling pretty damn good about my team. 

QB: Jalen Hurts, Matt Ryan

RB: Joe Mixon, D'Andre Swift, Chase Edmonds, Damien Harris, Javonte Williams

WR: Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Dioante Johnson, Tyler Boyd, Jacobi Meyers

TE: Dallas Goddert 

K: Brandon McManus

DST: New England