2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

50 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t EXPECT him to be there at 22.  But this WR class has no clear cut rankings at the top so it’s possible based on teams preference that he is available, just like He could be WR1 and go inside the top 10.  We’ll just have to see.

You're right. I did what I hate doing and that's saying anything definitive about the draft so early. I need to refrain from doing that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You're right. I did what I hate doing and that's saying anything definitive about the draft so early. I need to refrain from doing that

Nah bro you didn’t do anything wrong.  You have every right to give your opinion… this is a place where Everyone’s giving opinions.    You didn’t say “there’s no way he’ll be there at 22…. Your stupid if you Think he will”.  And the reality is it’s way more likely he’s gone by 22 Then there.  Heck, that’s why he’s my top choice by a mile.  I Was just merely pointing out that given the close ranking of the WRs and each one being rather unique from the others that on draft day there’s a rather decent chance teams might actually Draft differently.  Anyways…. It’s All good, no hard feelings At all. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

And that's how we end up with duds like Ferrell, Arnette, and Leatherwood. Go BPA.

There are a lot of good players at positions of need. Edge is probably the least on our team. In the 2nd round and on I can argue pure BPA, but we realistically could use CB/WR/OT/DT a lot more than another edge. And there are tons of 1st round talents at those positions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Nah bro you didn’t do anything wrong.  You have every right to give your opinion… this is a place where Everyone’s giving opinions.    You didn’t say “there’s no way he’ll be there at 22…. Your stupid if you Think he will”.  And the reality is it’s way more likely he’s gone by 22 Then there.  Heck, that’s why he’s my top choice by a mile.  I Was just merely pointing out that given the close ranking of the WRs and each one being rather unique from the others that on draft day there’s a rather decent chance teams might actually Draft differently.  Anyways…. It’s All good, no hard feelings At all. 

Nah, it's a personal thing for me. Saying definitive things about the draft this early is just nonsense and I shouldn't do it lol. You're right that there's no clear cut favorite as WR1 in this class and it's all about what a team needs and how they perceive the prospect. I personally think so highly of Wilson that I don't think he'll be there but that doesn't mean everyone does. I think they should but we'll see lol. I do honestly think he's a special WR. 

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

There are a lot of good players at positions of need. Edge is probably the least on our team. In the 2nd round and on I can argue pure BPA, but we realistically could use CB/WR/OT/DT a lot more than another edge. And there are tons of 1st round talents at those positions.

I think in 2022 edge is definitely not a need but 2023 might be a completely different story.  Ngakoue and Crosby are both FAs in 2023.  I do not think we let both walk but do you think we sign both for close to $20 each?  We have to start operating like a competent organization which means we have to plan for the future and not just the upcoming year.  If Koonce develops then it makes the decisions easier but we should not rely on his progression.  We do have wholes in other places but a good edge player in FA is far more expensive than a lot of other positions.  I do not want to do it but I would rather trade a player like Waller, use the cap space he is going to require to extend Crosby, and use a pick on another edge player.  I would rather have a pro bowl DE than a pro bowl TE.  I am not saying this is the only solution but if I had to choose I would do it this way.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think in 2022 edge is definitely not a need but 2023 might be a completely different story.  Ngakoue and Crosby are both FAs in 2023.  I do not think we let both walk but do you think we sign both for close to $20 each?  We have to start operating like a competent organization which means we have to plan for the future and not just the upcoming year.  If Koonce develops then it makes the decisions easier but we should not rely on his progression.  We do have wholes in other places but a good edge player in FA is far more expensive than a lot of other positions.  I do not want to do it but I would rather trade a player like Waller, use the cap space he is going to require to extend Crosby, and use a pick on another edge player.  I would rather have a pro bowl DE than a pro bowl TE.  I am not saying this is the only solution but if I had to choose I would do it this way.  

Sure I understand that but a lot of teams have had success with developing day 2 edge players as well. We should try and do the same.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure I understand that but a lot of teams have had success with developing day 2 edge players as well. We should try and do the same.

I did not mean to draft a DE with a first but rather getting another pick or picks for Waller and then have an extra pick to grab another edge player when appropriate.  Say we get a 1st for Waller.  Then if BPA is a WR and DB in the first we can look to grab another edge on day 2.  If a top edge player drops to us in the 1st then you can grab him there also.  What it does is makes us less predictable and less likely teams grab a player they know we are targeting in front of us.  We can start to make other teams second guess their strategies.

17 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I did not mean to draft a DE with a first but rather getting another pick or picks for Waller and then have an extra pick to grab another edge player when appropriate.  Say we get a 1st for Waller.  Then if BPA is a WR and DB in the first we can look to grab another edge on day 2.  If a top edge player drops to us in the 1st then you can grab him there also.  What it does is makes us less predictable and less likely teams grab a player they know we are targeting in front of us.  We can start to make other teams second guess their strategies.

I don't think we'll have to choose tbh. The cap is going up and Ziegler/New england in general are cap savvy. A lot of bad contracts come off the books this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think we'll have to choose tbh. The cap is going up and Ziegler/New england in general are cap savvy. A lot of bad contracts come off the books this year.

We do not have a single contract coming off the books that is over $5 million this year.  We have bad contracts in Littleton, Nassib, and Kwiat that we can cut but they have large cap hits.  I think it would be wise to cut them but it is not going to give us large amounts of money.  Even if we cut all 3 and make Nassib and Littleton June 1st cuts extending the players we want to keep will eat up the cap right away.  We should not wait until 2023 to extend Carr, Crosby, Ngakoue, Renfrow, Moreau, Mullen, Good, and Perryman.  Now we can not extend all of them and I do not think we want to but we should make a decision on a few of them this year because they will be much more expensive after this year.  Also any that want to much or we do not see as players we want to keep for the long term will still have trade value.

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We do not have a single contract coming off the books that is over $5 million this year.  We have bad contracts in Littleton, Nassib, and Kwiat that we can cut but they have large cap hits.  I think it would be wise to cut them but it is not going to give us large amounts of money.  Even if we cut all 3 and make Nassib and Littleton June 1st cuts extending the players we want to keep will eat up the cap right away.  We should not wait until 2023 to extend Carr, Crosby, Ngakoue, Renfrow, Moreau, Mullen, Good, and Perryman.  Now we can not extend all of them and I do not think we want to but we should make a decision on a few of them this year because they will be much more expensive after this year.  Also any that want to much or we do not see as players we want to keep for the long term will still have trade value.

You have a point. Let's wait and see.

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That’s right. When you do the maths and properly consider how few players we have coming back, just keeping hold of our priority guys and then having enough to bring in either our or other vet FAs to fill the roster will absorb most if not all of our cap.

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If the Raiders get the New England combo pack of GM\HC they will keep Waller, TE is a huge part of there offense.