Packers Sign Aaron Rodgers Replacement, Blake Bortles

Norm

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Derp

How many QBs do teams have in camp?

It is amazing how many people don't even understand the simply mechanics of a 90 man roster for training camp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Hey don’t derp me because Love isn’t good

Lots of posters on this forum are forcing themselves to look away from scouting reports like these...

https://profootballmag.com/featured/jordan-love-scouting-report-for-2020-nfl-draft/
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings-jordan-love-scouting-report
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020jlove.php

At least one of our moderators recognizes that he's a boom-or-bust prospect; hardly the kind of QB prospect you want to hang your hat on IMHO. As far as I'm concerned, selecting Jordan Love was really to light a fire under Rodgers' butt...or to let him know that he was done in GB; the latter of which I felt when the selection was made. 

That said, I'd like to draw attention to the second scouting report I listed here as it notes the accuracy of several different types of routes; most notably, his best marks were on Short Out, Short In, and Deep Out throws. Those particular routes are very common in MLF's offense and we saw the offense control the clock running to set up intermediate throws of 5-7 yards with a few 7-10 yard routes sprinkled in. Plays that involved deeper routes were called once the first two facets of the offense were firing on all cylinders or the team was down by a significant margin.

In another thread, I argued that Love doesn't necessarily need to be Rodgers however. In other words, Love really just needs to be more of a game manager QB that makes a special play every once in awhile; he doesn't need to be Aaron Rodgers necessarily. The proof is in the pudding so-to-speak as we've heavily invested in our IOL while typically employing bigger receivers(think 6-4, 220 lbs., and physical as the typical profile). Sure, Davante Adams and in-coming Amari Rodgers don't necessarily fit that profile, but Adams is a physical receiver that wins with his release and footwork whereas Amari Rodgers will assumedly take on a role as a RS, slot receiver, and will see sweep plays; I also suspect he'll line up in the backfield a fair amount of the time.

Again though, this thread is about Blake Bortles who, as said in my previous post, was with our OC when they were both in Jax so I'm guessing this is a familiarity thing and if Aaron Rodgers WAS to get traded you've got a better-than-average back-up with a similar skill-set in Bortles. *shrug*

Edited by Joe
  • Like 3

Gives them a veteran who knows the offense as can act as a capable backup to Rodgers. Allows the team to now deal Love and re-start the search for their future QB in a couple years. The pieces keep falling into place for a re-worked Rodgers contract and both sides committing to one another.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Gives them a veteran who knows the offense as can act as a capable backup to Rodgers. Allows the team to now deal Love and re-start the search for their future QB in a couple years. The pieces keep falling into place for a re-worked Rodgers contract and both sides committing to one another.

If in fact that is the plan. I actually don't mind this signing as much maligned as Bortles is considered to be. I mean....let's be honest: he was drafted by Jacksonville and Jacksonville has had as many successful QB's as you do fingers on your hand with a couple chopped off...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

Lots of posters on this forum are forcing themselves to look away from scouting reports like these...

https://profootballmag.com/featured/jordan-love-scouting-report-for-2020-nfl-draft/
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings-jordan-love-scouting-report

At least one of our moderators recognizes that he's a boom-or-bust prospect; hardly the kind of QB prospect you want to hang your hat on IMHO. As far as I'm concerned, selecting Jordan Love was really to light a fire under Rodgers' butt...or to let him know that he was done in GB; the latter of which I felt when the selection was made. 

That said, I'd like to draw attention to the second scouting report I listed here as it notes the accuracy of several different types of routes; most notably, his best marks were on Short Out, Short In, and Deep Out throws. Those particular routes are very common in MLF's offense and we saw the offense control the clock running to set up intermediate throws of 5-7 yards with a few 7-10 yard routes sprinkled in. Plays that involved deeper routes were called once the first two facets of the offense were firing on all cylinders or the team was down by a significant margin.

In another thread, I argued that Love doesn't necessarily need to be Rodgers however. In other words, Love really just needs to be more of a game manager QB that makes a special play every once in awhile; he doesn't need to be Aaron Rodgers necessarily. The proof is in the pudding so-to-speak as we've heavily invested in our IOL while typically employing bigger receivers(think 6-4, 220 lbs., and physical as the typical profile). Sure, Davante Adams and in-coming Amari Rodgers don't necessarily fit that profile, but Adams is a physical receiver that wins with his release and footwork whereas Amari Rodgers will assumedly take on a role as a RS, slot receiver, and will see sweep plays; I also suspect he'll line up in the backfield a fair amount of the time.

Again though, this thread is about Blake Bortles who, as said in my previous post, was with our OC when they were both in Jax so I'm guessing this is a familiarity thing and if Aaron Rodgers WAS to get traded you've got a better-than-average back-up with a similar skill-set in Bortles. *shrug*

Trading up into RD1 for a QB you better be getting more than a game manager otherwise GB will enter QB purgatory which is worse than simply having terrible QB play. Love either needs to become an elite QB or straight up be atrocious otherwise it's just a bunch of wasted years being stuck in the middle. Maybe make the playoffs here or there but never be a real threat to win anything of significance....aka the Vikings model right now with Cousins. Bengals with Dalton and Bears with Cutler as other recent examples

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Trading up into RD1 for a QB you better be getting more than a game manager otherwise GB will enter QB purgatory which is worse than simply having terrible QB play. Love either needs to become an elite QB or straight up be atrocious otherwise it's just a bunch of wasted years being stuck in the middle. Maybe make the playoffs here or there but never be a real threat to win anything of significance....aka the Vikings model right now with Cousins. Bengals with Dalton and Bears with Cutler as other recent examples

I think Cousins would be the best comparison to being competitive but fading down the stretch. Like Raymond said in another thread: Love is boom-or-bust. I agree, but his best pathway to success, at least in this offense at the moment, is to be a competent game-manager. If his accuracy can somehow improve and/or he's able to extend the play with his legs in order to find a better throw for himself he might be a solid starter, but nothing spectacular.

We all know I have very little hope for him here and strongly feel he's going to bust, but it's not like I'm openly wanting him to fail; ergo again, he's best off as a game manager - at least for now...

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I don't see what the  point in dealing Love is now.  He has no market value.  If we could recoup at least a 2nd rounder maybe otherwise why not keep him on the roster and continue to develop him?  Committing to Rodgers and keeping Love on the roster don't have to be mutually exclusive.  I am having trouble with your line of thinking.  Find it hard to believe Rodgers would be so threatened by Love that we would have to remove him from the roster.  A 3 time MVP and HOF QB is going to worry about a QB project?  Don't get the whole commitment thing either.  If Rodgers continues to play well he'll be under center.  This should have been understood.  

Edited by Scoremore

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

In fairness I fail to recognize any Walter Football scouting report as legitimate. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In fairness I fail to recognize any Walter Football scouting report as legitimate. 

Then look at the other two...

Really wish I had found the USA Today report sooner.