Starfield [Xbox|Bethesda, Sept 6, 2023]

Kiltman

Cautiously optimistic. Microsoft & Bethesda both need some real wins and if this fails both look very very bad. I don't trust Bethesda and to me this seems like a Cyberpunk situation where they have to start from the ground up to make a game so i'm curious. Gameplay footage was alright which makes me a little scared. I would expect marketing footage would look great but to me something still seems off. 

Watched the presentation again, there’s just so much to do.

The fact that you’ll have this main story and all the typical side stories as a back bone will really set it apart from the other space games. It’s impossible not to watch it and think of a handful of other games…but all of it together with the story elements is gonna be awesome.

Like that they are showing it off too ahead of launch. They are definitely holding stuff back, like the tease of powers and zero sight of any sentient alien species. But it doesn’t seem like they are hiding things like some big releases have done the last few years.

6 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Cautiously optimistic. Microsoft & Bethesda both need some real wins and if this fails both look very very bad. I don't trust Bethesda and to me this seems like a Cyberpunk situation where they have to start from the ground up to make a game so i'm curious. Gameplay footage was alright which makes me a little scared. I would expect marketing footage would look great but to me something still seems off. 

They showed off a lot though, unlike Cyberpunk pre-launch. I’d imagine we’ll get a full on gameplay chunk around Gamescom / Quakecon time. And other preview stuff.

Only thing that looks like it could use some touching up would be giving character models a little more life. Which in the long run will be fixed one way or another, that’s always amongst the first wave of non-bug fix mods. But hopefully they can bump them up a bit.

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

IF this game is a flop too. 

Matt Booty, head of Xbox Games Studios, needs to be canned.

Yeah, they need someone who can shepherd games. Though he’s not really in charge of Bethesda games.

South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark will be some of the big tests. Games totally made under the Xbox umbrella start to finish. 

This game running at 30 FPS on the Xbox Series X is wild. The presentation looked great, but 30 FPS is just straight up awful. Lower the resolution to 1080p or alter something with the game for it to be able to run at 60 FPS.

The difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS is actually pretty significant. I can instantly feel the difference and notice the difference visually. This is a no go.

5 hours ago, showtime said:

This game running at 30 FPS on the Xbox Series X is wild. The presentation looked great, but 30 FPS is just straight up awful. Lower the resolution to 1080p or alter something with the game for it to be able to run at 60 FPS.

The difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS is actually pretty significant. I can instantly feel the difference and notice the difference visually. This is a no go.

It’s always better, but the impact of it is more or less of a thing genre to genre. Like a fighting game or anything quick twitch, give me as many frames as possible.

Most other genres 30 can feel fine if that means it’s super stable.

Worst thing is dips, a choppy 60 sucks.

There were fps boost mods for Fallout, so if they don’t put in a performance mode that’ll fix that for people that want it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’s always better, but the impact of it is more or less of a thing genre to genre. Like a fighting game or anything quick twitch, give me as many frames as possible.

There were fps boost mods for Fallout, so if they don’t put in a performance mode that’ll fix that for people that want it.

This is true, but I would also include shooters in the set of genres that need higher FPS... I can see this being an issue with Bethesda chunky movement as well. 

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

The choppy 60 sucking is a big part of why they did it. Todd mentioned the game "can" run above 30fps on Xbox but if they did it players would experience frame drops so they decided it was better to just lock it at 30.

Err....i think it was Todd... Someone at Bethesda said it anyway.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The choppy 60 sucking is a big part of why they did it. Todd mentioned the game "can" run above 30fps on Xbox but if they did it players would experience frame drops so they decided it was better to just lock it at 30.

Err....i think it was Todd... Someone at Bethesda said it anyway.

Yeah think it was in the ign interview posted after the show. Totally get it.

Quick rundown on my updated thoughts regarding the game after the update:

- The main companions shown looked generic and uninteresting. You've got the boss b*th, the cowboy, etc. They certainly didn't rack their brains trying to deliver on some dynamic new characters. Hopefully other background companions in the world are more compelling.

- Creatures in the world continue to look fresh and fun. I'm curious what kind of non alien wildlife will be in the game, and if some planets may host animals of the past like mammoths, or dinosaurs- seeded life that never went extinct or something.

- All 3 of the religions come off pretty corny, and it's clear Starfield will fall more in line with the Elder Scrolls universe where there's explicitly a religion for 'bad' people. Was hoping for a more mature 'life is gray- not black & white' outlook, but it is what it is.

- Seems like they're going with a 'stack' combat approach, where ground movement is stuck in the mud in true Bethesda fashion but you're meant to derive fun from all the different effects you can chain in combat. So combining the various effects of guns and projectiles(explosion, freeze, and stun items were shown), with use of your grav boosters, special character build traits(buffs, maybe special class abilities, etc), and finally that magic ability they hinted at. They've set a low bar for combat at Bethesda, but I'm hoping this experience can improve upon their past record somewhat.

- The UI & HUD looks great and non invasive, my only complaint would be with that XP indicator which was annoying even in the trailer. There has to be some way to turn that off. I can't have a little gray rectangle popping up in the middle of my screen every .5 seconds during combat.

- Gun customization looks very user friendly with them even mentioning the option to choose between various iron sights.

- Ship building seems fun and certainly expansive with the amount of customization it allows, but I did feel they were disingenuous during the presentation. One of the women mentioned building mechs, and there's no way you can actually do that. You can build a ship that looks like a mech, but that's it. It's ship exploration and combat....... Mech combat is an entirely different beast, this isn't Armored Core. I felt they should've made that clear so people don't go into the game with false expectations. I'm sure the mod community will deliver on that end someday, but it won't be an actual part of the base game.     

- The most encouraging aspect of the showcase was how the cities seem to have a lot of life to them, which I love. Fleshing out NPC activity outside of interactions with the main character is one of the most important pillars of world building. 

Summary:   I'm not a big space RPG or even story guy. Loved Halo and the old Battlefront games, Dead Space was fresh, Prey had some fun elements, and Outerworlds was decent- overall though it's not a setting I'm desperate to explore or experience. So my interest in Starfield was/is mostly as a new AAA IP from a major studio and specifically as the RPG preceding the next Elder Scrolls game. IMO Everything post Oblivion has been a step backwards for Bethesda and in a landscape where other RPG titans have emerged and innovated I'm beyond curious to see how they plan to adapt, Starfield offers some major clues on that front. 

Todd Howard specifically mentioning Red Dead 2 is notable to me because it highlights that he's not only aware of the new standards in the industry but that he's also chasing them. Which they'll have to do if they want to survive as an industry leader. You can't just throw dragons into something now, with 20 spells, 3 slash animations, and a flat world then expect to win game of the year. The bar has been raised and it's sink or swim time. 

As of now my impression of the game is 7.5/10, which is an improvement from my earlier view of what was shown. Off the top it seems like a game that might've thrived with a multiplayer option but I understand why they didn't go down that route after the issues surrounding Fallout 76. Still, exploring planets, sharing ships, and carving up space with friends seems like something that could've extended the play cycle for many users. Those who want that experience do have other options out there though.

Positives: All customization functions seem deep. Creature design and approach is good. Clear effort by Bethesda to pack and expand more RPG elements and avoid the simplicity of Skyrim. The rank concept within the skill system should introduce a 'grind' for more dedicated players. Major POIs/Cities seem packed with life, content, and detail to NPC interaction. Player friendly UI and HUD. 

Negatives: World seems cookie cutter and major characters/elements won't be distinguishing themselves from the field, lack of creativity on those fronts. Combat animations and movement seem similar to typical Bethesda standard. No multiplayer(If you care about that).  

Looking forward to trying it out. This will be a big one to avoid spoilers for, main appeal(I'd imagine) of the game is discovering what they've hidden on various planets and those secrets will be all over the internet shortly after release.

55 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The main companions shown looked generic and uninteresting. You've got the boss b*th, the cowboy, etc. They certainly didn't rack their brains trying to deliver on some dynamic new characters. Hopefully other background companions in the world are more compelling.

I agree, hoping it’s just the trailer and getting to know them reveals more dimension. The space cowboy there are hints in the town that he’s either a hero or the son/grandson of one.

Im really looking forward to the ones we find along the way. Going down on some moon, where you stumble on a person pinned down by random space stuff / enemies and making it out together seems like a much more fun way to build your squad. 

• Like 1