2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

21 hours ago, bruceb said:

Feel a trade down acoming to amass 2023 draft pick capital. 

I will go to Berea and punch somebody in the throat if that happens. That strategy was all well and good when we were trying to rebuild a putrid roster. If we aren't going to be in win mode now, when will we ever be?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I will go to Berea and punch somebody in the throat if that happens. That strategy was all well and good when we were trying to rebuild a putrid roster. If we aren't going to be in win mode now, when will we ever 

I want ammo for next year if we need to move up in the draft. We need Baker insurance.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I want ammo for next year if we need to move up in the draft. We need Baker insurance.

I get the philosophy (after all we all endured the Sashi years), I'm just not on board with it at this time. Miles probably at his peak, promising defense, great running game. If we don't think Baker can capitalize on that healthy, make a move now. If we do, get him his JaMarr Chase, fortify the o-line and make a run at it. 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:33 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Well we seem to want a top 5 QB every year. That's going to be hard to do.

We used to want a QB that allowed us to be in the conversation every year but now that's not close to good enough so we need a top QB who can be top 3 even when things don't go well so we need to keep looking.

We need a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or we won't be happy. I think we realize that now. So lets mortgage the future every year until we get one of those guys.

What choice do we have?

Lets try Chubb, Garrett, Bitonio, JOK, Ward, Baker and five 1sts for Mahomes. Maybe they'll bite. I'm sure he'll have a better than the 98 rating he had this year with the weapons we'll give him.

This is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make with the Boxing Analogy......Some Folks wont be happy until we have Muhammad Ali, Jack Johnson or Sugar Ray Robinson...

I am perfectly fine with Julio Cesar Chavez....whom people forget was 107-6-2 all time (with 6 world titles in 3 weight classes)....Just Sayin.....he will NEVER be mentioned when there is talk about the greatest Boxers of all time....but he wasnt bad...

So lets Cut Baker, trade Nick Chubb, Fire Stefanski and Woods and Terminate the Contracts of Andrew Berry and Paul Depodesta.....we didn't win the Super Bowl the year after we made the playoff for the first time since I was in College.....SMH 

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 6:06 PM, bruceb said:

Someone with this profile would do the trick:

HEIGHT: 6’3”

WEIGHT: 207

POSITIVES

— Good height for the position.

Very good athlete. Can consistently get to the edge and pull away from defenders when scrambling. Valid weapon on designed QB runs.

— Good arm strength. Can drive intermediate throws and attack downfield with deep balls.

Very good movement in the pocket. Stays balanced and is willing and able to progress on concepts and work his eyes to find his throws.

Consistently able to progress through a range of concepts. Shows a deep understanding of the offense.

— Competitive and tough player. Not afraid of the big moment and willing to take shots in the pocket or when running the football. (Emphasis added)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021437-desmond-ridder-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-qb

If he is available round 2 or 3 I think it would be a nice idea to pick him up.  If QB needy teams start overdrafting prospects then I think it would make more sense just to start hitting BPA every pick and ride out Baker one more year.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I get the philosophy (after all we all endured the Sashi years), I'm just not on board with it at this time. Miles probably at his peak, promising defense, great running game. If we don't think Baker can capitalize on that healthy, make a move now. If we do, get him his JaMarr Chase, fortify the o-line and make a run at it. 

Think we need a few more pieces on D to make a run at it.

And the OL.

2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

If he is available round 2 or 3 I think it would be a nice idea to pick him up.  If QB needy teams start overdrafting prospects then I think it would make more sense just to start hitting BPA every pick and ride out Baker one more year.

This is a horrible, horrible draft to take a QB in the first 3-4 rounds. There aren't any great ones, so the okay ones will get overdrafted, which means the meh ones will get overdrafted, etc. etc.

I doubt there's a QB who goes at a "that's a good value" price until the 4th round or later. Even more so than in most years.

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

Think we need a few more pieces on D to make a run at it.

And the OL.

Conklin should be ready barring a setback. If we retain Tretter we just need a capable guy who can cover all three interior positions if we don't have one. Unless we move Bitonio to LT but I doubt that happens.

We certainly need a capable LT to step in if Wills doesn't improve and Wills would be the swing guy.

We'll need to add pieces to the defense every year most likely so that probably goes without saying. We have the core.

We do need a couple playmaker receivers. They don't have to be burners but they need to be athletic and able to separate and catch.

So really we mostly need pieces. Which is good news instead of needing whole units.Certainly work to do but it's doable.

• Like 1

I think Desmond Ridder would be fine taken in about the sixth round. He is the type of QB3 that isn’t going to screw things up. I think that’s all he is though. And as far as this upcoming draft, I think a QB3 is the best investment we can go for. Don’t waste a high or mid round pick on a guy that isn’t as good as what we have. Use the picks on guys that will help us.

• Like 2