2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

My Browns-slanted view of this draft.

If a handful of QB's go before our pick at #44, then we'll have that many more good players to choose from. Win.

If teams shy away from drafting QB's before pick #44, then more than likely, one of the QB-needy teams will trade for Baker. Win.

Our current biggest weaknesses are WR, D-line, and LB. This draft is nice in all those areas. Win.

This just in: Andrew Berry might just know what he's doing.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

My Browns-slanted view of this draft.

If a handful of QB's go before our pick at #44, then we'll have that many more good players to choose from. Win.

If teams shy away from drafting QB's before pick #44, then more than likely, one of the QB-needy teams will trade for Baker. Win.

Our current biggest weaknesses are WR, D-line, and LB. This draft is nice in all those areas. Win.

This just in: Andrew Berry might just know what he's doing.

100% and a great example of him playing Chess vs. Checkers 

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Baker is never going to show up here. There’s no way his ego will let himself come to camp in Cleveland with his tail tucked between his legs as the obvious back up, waiting to be traded. I don’t even think the organization wants him there. They need to find a way to get rid of him. But there are no suitors right now. What a crazy off-season.

He doesn’t need to show up to camp to get traded. Just keep him inactive until some team with an injured qb comes calling. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He doesn’t need to show up to camp to get traded. Just keep him inactive until some team with an injured qb comes calling. 

Yeah, I'd keep him away. If he opted to show up, and he shouldn't, it could create feelings amongst teammates that is unnecessary. I'm sure there are some in the locker room that was hoping he would return and why revisit the whole thing and possibly cause any division that isn't currently there.

He isn't supposed to be fully recovered for another 1-3 months so let him do his thing while he recovers and revisit it afterwards if he is still on the roster.

Rewatching some games from 2020. 

The baltimore thriller in Cleveland. Baker is brilliant, when he sees the throw and he is in rhythm, its beautiful, he throws dots. At times couldnt place the ball better. 

Other times he misses easy throws, there were a couple of throws with a little pressure and he rockets the ball. The problem is the reciever is 10 yards away. One ball to Jano could easily have been floated to him, it was an awkward angel for the catch even on a soft throw. Instead he got fire on the ball.

He also ran the ball too much, a ton of 1 yard or 2 yard runs. If he has a lane it's good no problem, if he has to run wide its usually terrible.

Also throws a Deshone Kizer like int to a linebacker. Dude was literally right there. 

Across the board too many small mistakes and too many big mistakes in between his brilliant throws.

I think another thing to consider though is that for a team that has a quarterback going down, unless they are a contender, they could see it as an opportunity to have a bad year and get an elite quarterback next draft class. If the alternative is trading a second or third round pick so that you can be a .500 team, I think some owners are going to have a certain opinion. So, if we are hoping that a team has a quarterback go down, it probably needs to be a decent team that still wants to contend and hasn’t accepted a season missing the playoffs from the jump. Personally, if I am in a team in a limbo year and I have a chance to get CJ Stroud or continue treading water, I’d love to have that easy transition to a franchise quarterback. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think another thing to consider though is that for a team that has a quarterback going down, unless they are a contender, they could see it as an opportunity to have a bad year and get an elite quarterback next draft class. If the alternative is trading a second or third round pick so that you can be a .500 team, I think some owners are going to have a certain opinion. So, if we are hoping that a team has a quarterback go down, it probably needs to be a decent team that still wants to contend and hasn’t accepted a season missing the playoffs from the jump. Personally, if I am in a team in a limbo year and I have a chance to get CJ Stroud or continue treading water, I’d love to have that easy transition to a franchise quarterback. 

I think a 2 or 3 is entirely out of the question tbh, unless we’re paying most of his salary.  Even then, I’d be surprised.

I think if a team thought very highly of Baker, they’d have made a deal by now.

Baker may be viewed as that unfortunate combo of too good to let you tank for a high pick and not good enough to take a team to the next level.

There’s obviously a role for that guy in the league, but I’m not sure how many people are lining up to give up an asset and pay 18 million for him.

I hope I’m wrong though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think a 2 or 3 is entirely out of the question tbh, unless we’re paying most of his salary.  Even then, I’d be surprised.

I think if a team thought very highly of Baker, they’d have made a deal by now.

Baker may be viewed as that unfortunate combo of too good to let you tank for a high pick and not good enough to take a team to the next level.

There’s obviously a role for that guy in the league, but I’m not sure how many people are lining up to give up an asset and pay 18 million for him.

I hope I’m wrong though.

The elephant in the dining room is that he will not sign a franchise tag probably unless you are Tampa Bay or New Orleans.

This effectively eliminates the 2 teams that would be at the top of the list 

27 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

The elephant in the dining room is that he will not sign a franchise tag probably unless you are Tampa Bay or New Orleans.

This effectively eliminates the 2 teams that would be at the top of the list 

That’s definitely the elephant in the dining room.

• Like 1