2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Baker was just off, it didn't matter who the intended target was.

Obviously it wasn't good, but I'm hoping it was just a bad game. He stepped up like a big boy and said he sucked and that's what I like about him. He's the type of guy where this performance could be a good thing. I expect him to be on point next week.

I wonder if Baker practices wearing the shoulder brace or not. He doesn't have any fear over getting hit in practice, so it's possible that he doesn't practice wearing it. It could be a big change, going from practicing without it (if thats the case) to playing games wearing it. Just a small change in motion or arm position can alter a target a lot. 

3 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I wonder if Baker practices wearing the shoulder brace or not. He doesn't have any fear over getting hit in practice, so it's possible that he doesn't practice wearing it. It could be a big change, going from practicing without it (if thats the case) to playing games wearing it. Just a small change in motion or arm position can alter a target a lot. 

Hopefully it's stuff like this that helps to fix things.

I don't think he's in that much pain tbh. If he were, then we're freaking mental for calling RPO's (at least twice that I saw).

As a couple others have said, Baker is known for being accurate. A game or two of inaccuracy doesn't mean a freak out - it hopefully just means some tweaks.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Baker right now is consistency.  We have seen him throw dimes.  We have seen him throw accurate passes under duress.  We have seen him go through progressions, and trust his reads.

Unfortunately, we have seen him NOT do all of the above, and that is what is disheartening.  The best QB's are able to do all the "good things" on a consistent basis.

I hope that the coaching staff is able to put together a plan that will allow Baker to do some simple things, that he is consistently good at, in order to build up some confidence, and also ease him back out of whatever "funk" he is experiencing right now!

If this is strictly the injury, then I would shut him down for a week or 2, and roll with Keenum.  

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

This is the second consecutive game that Baker has been "off" - missing wide open receivers. That is not the Baker we saw in 2020 and for 1-1/2 games this season. So, something has definitely gone off the rails.

Odell Beckham Jr. Expected to Return

Hmmm-.jpg

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Odell Beckham Jr. Expected to Return

By far the most important thing for our coaches to make the call on right now is whether these last couple games of Baker being shaky are due to injury or if he really just has a mental issue with OBJ being out there. If it's injury, ride it out and chill. If it's OBJ, you gotta trade him. It's not his fault, and he's getting open a ton so it would hurt to lose him. But 2020 Baker w/o OBJ is miles better for our team than the with-OBJ Baker that we've seen so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FGK said:

By far the most important thing for our coaches to make the call on right now is whether these last couple games of Baker being shaky are due to injury or if he really just has a mental issue with OBJ being out there. If it's injury, ride it out and chill. If it's OBJ, you gotta trade him. It's not his fault, and he's getting open a ton so it would hurt to lose him. But 2020 Baker w/o OBJ is miles better for our team than the with-OBJ Baker that we've seen so far.

And honestly, it can’t linger all season.

Weve been lucky to escape with some wins against some not great teams, but if we have hopes of making any noise in the playoffs, this offense needs to be humming.

Trade deadline is 11/2 iirc, that’s 4 more games to figure this out imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FGK said:

If it were that simple. The fall out leads to all kinds of legit questions about why he can't play with him. It would dog his career even post OBJ and be a massive confidence breaker for everyone.

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

If it were that simple. The fall out leads to all kinds of legit questions about why he can't play with him. It would dog his career even post OBJ and be a massive confidence breaker for everyone.

Only if he fails without him too and OBJ goes on to excel elsewhere.

If he continues to plays like he has pretty much his entire career without him, no one questions anything, regardless as to what OBJ does moving forward.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Im stuggling to understand why Baker not being able to throw a ball to a open OBJ is a OBJ problem. 

Some of you are acting like this is a timing issue between QB/WR and its not. Its a Baker cant even throw a ball that would be deemed 'contested' to OBJ, he just flat out sails the ball 10 feet over his head or behind him.

ALSO--side not that nobody seems to be talking about that I brought up with Baker months ago in TC/Preseason......Bakeer has a serious issue with ball speed. He only throws fastballs and he has no clue to when to take some off to make the throw easier. No matter if its a screen, 10 yard slant or 40 vertical, he throws every single pass the same way.....and that is a 100mph fastball.

He NEEDS to learn to put some air under the ball and let your WR run under it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im stuggling to understand why Baker not being able to throw a ball to a open OBJ is a OBJ problem. 

It’s not.  Who’s saying it is?  

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Some of you are acting like this is a timing issue between QB/WR and its not. Its a Baker cant even throw a ball that would be deemed 'contested' to OBJ, he just flat out sails the ball 10 feet over his head or behind him.

Most people aren’t saying timing.  I’m saying chemistry. They have none, zero.

You’re conflating people saying that this offense takes 10 steps backwards with OBJ in the lineup as being his fault as a direct consequence of things he does with just acknowledging the offense doesn’t run well with him in there regardless of the reason.

TL;DR

It's not OBJ's fault. However, in a vacuum, a QB is infinitely more important than a WR. You therefore trade the WR if you're sold on Baker being your dude. It's not personal, it's just basic positional importance. One position impacts 90% of the game, and the other impacts ~8-12 plays a game. 

• Like 2