2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Watch this. What happened to this guy? Look at him climb the pocket and launch lasers down field, look at him keeping his eyes up, look at his accuracy downfield, look at him throwing down field.. What happened?!

https://twitter.com/T_johnson_TJ/status/1470872758661881866?t=9ciSb_hncMWzsqbURecnqg&s=19

Edited by AkronsWitness

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Watch this. What happened to this guy? Look at him climb the pocket and launch lasers down field, look at him keeping his eyes up, look at his accuracy downfield, look at him throwing down field.. What happened?!

https://twitter.com/T_johnson_TJ/status/1470872758661881866?t=9ciSb_hncMWzsqbURecnqg&s=19

He's just injured and no one's open. He'll be fine.

It’s funny, I watched some of the Rams game on Sunday and Odell Beckham was clearly playing with far more effort than I have seen him play with in Cleveland all season. He was running most of his routes with a purpose. He was lazy in uninspiring almost his entire time here in Cleveland. Even if he does make a difference down the stretch in LA, screw that guy, he was a waste while he was here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Mix of Injuries and Stefanski’s system, that’s what happen

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We are blaming Stefanski’s system for Baker’s regression? That’s absolutely hilarious considering he was the one who salvaged whatever was left.

Especially when we all loved Stefanski's scheme just a year ago. Doubt his system just went to **** that quickly. Couldn't possibly be that injuries and our limited receivers have just made it hard to execute on offense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Especially when we all loved Stefanski's scheme just a year ago. Doubt his system just went to **** that quickly. Couldn't possibly be that injuries and our limited receivers have just made it hard to execute on offense.

I mean, even with an injured Baker, we loved it the first 5 weeks of the season (through the Chargers loss) and again in the Bengals game.

At some point, you have to blame the players for a lack of execution and maybe start evaluating personnel deficiencies based upon what's not working.

A few things stick out to me:

1. Baker isn't healthy and he's inconsistent

2. The run game hasn't been clicking

3. Hooper is absolutely weighing this offense down

4. We don't have a reliable outside WR opposite DPJ, who is probably a really solid #2 WR anyway

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We are blaming Stefanski’s system for Baker’s regression? That’s absolutely hilarious considering he was the one who salvaged whatever was left.

Heres what I know with 100% certainty. 

The Browns DO NOT throw the ball more than 15 yards down field anymore. They dont even take shots 2-3 times per game just to keep the defense honest....They dont even attempt down field passing anymore when that is what made Baker good his rookie year.

I thought the run run run run run to setup the playaction deep bomb was the entire point of this offense. Its not that we are bad at it, we dont even attempt it!

Why are we no longer taking shots down field. Why has it felt like 2 years since Ive seen Baker complete a 'Go' route for 50+ yards.

What...is..happening. Is it Bakers injury? Is is Baker being scared to throw 50/50 balls now? Is it KS playcalling? Is it the WRs not even running the routes?

All I know is that when Perriman and Callaway were on this team, we would take 5+ shots per game downfield--and it worked. Why is that same concept no longer a thing with DPJ/Felton.

Even that 40 yard TD throw Baker had to Perriman in 2018 against Denver at the beginning of the game where he lazered it to the corner of the endzone...remember that play, its in the video. When was the last time he even attempted a pass like that. I havent seen that Baker in a looong time.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Browns DO NOT throw the ball more than 15 yards down field anymore. They dont even take shots 2-3 times per game just to keep the defense honest....They dont even attempt down field passing anymore when that is what made Baker good his rookie year.

I thought the run run run run run to setup the playaction deep bomb was the entire point of this offense. Its not that we are bad at it, we dont even attempt it!

Why are we no longer taking shots down field. Why has it felt like 2 years since Ive seen Baker complete a 'Go' route for 50+ yards.

What...is..happening. Is it Bakers injury? Is is Baker being scared to throw 50/50 balls now? Is it KS playcalling? Is it the WRs not even running the routes?

All I know is that when Perriman and Callaway were on this team, we would take 5+ shots per game downfield--and it worked. Why is that same concept no longer a thing with DPJ/Felton.

Even that 40 yard TD throw Baker had to Perriman in 2018 against Denver at the beginning of the game where he lazered it to the corner of the endzone...remember that play, its in the video. When was the last time he even attempted a pass like that. I havent seen that Baker in a looong time.

Bengals game to DPJ probably...

Baker is near the top of the league in air yards per pass attempt. So if you don't like how often we throw the ball downfield you probably wouldn't like many team's passing game. 

As far as 50/50 balls, Baker better not be making those throws. At least to anyone besides DPJ. We don't have the guys to win those. That's what he often tried with OBJ and OBJ often lost the battle. 

We do need to take more shots but you need pass protection for that. When Baker has time he hits those. When things break down we don't really have a backup plan and he watches a lot of stationary targets as he runs around and usually throws something at the sideline that is either going to be caught or be incomplete. 

This isn't the GSOT though. Our best athletes on offense are our running backs. We can't even get them going the past few games and the same thing happened for a stretch last year about this time of year. We had a lot of 2.8 and 3.2 ypc from our backs type of games but Baker picked up the slack. Baker hasn't done that this year. I don't think he has been put in a great position to do it but either way he hasn't done it. At least he isn't turning the ball over often so we are in every game that our defense does well. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

@Thomas5737 pretty much nailed it. Aside from that, Van Pelt has even come out and said that with Baker's violent torque throwing motion and how he likes to keep that left arm up (similar to most MLB pitchers tbh), it really hurts/is hurting him.

Keenum can't make those throws anyway, so going to him is not an option.

We also don't even have a threat of speed anywhere on the field except for DPJ and Njoku if he's in the slot or tight matched against a linebacker and maybe some safeties.

OBJ was awful here, but at least he made defenses respect his speed/deep threat potential which feed up some of those other guys early.

Throw in Wills and our turnstyle RT situation (before last week where I thought the rookie stepped in and played well) and their inability to protect adequately, and you have all of those reasons IMO.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:48 AM, MWil23 said:

No in the video, it’s highlights of a very pass happy attack and wanting to air it out.  Freddie was always about the homerun call.

Stefanski isn’t about that life, he will rather nickel and dime you then try and hit a big play.

you can not argue that Stefanski plays a very safe passing concept. He did it his Lone yr with Minny and does it here.

all I said is we don’t see that baker cause he is hurt and stefanski doesn’t play that style but hot damn settle down their turbo