2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

46 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It’s so crazy though man. 

And I’m not the type to usually hype up a backup QB, but man to me he’s playing great and honestly outplayed Baker last week. 

like how does Baltimore do this stuff man. 

Ignoring Hoodie by himself, it’s because the Ravens have the best coaching staff in the NFL.

He’s looked really good in the amount he has been out there. 
This is a similar story that we often see though, when defensive coordinators have extensive film to game plan against a quarterback, you see over a longer duration, what a quarterback really is. 
He should definitely get a shot somewhere next year though.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

dude murders the Baker is anti clutch crowd 

I'm still down to extend Baker now if it's a bargain, like 3/$90mil, $60mil gtd. He's gonna do fine next year and we will extend him for close to $50mil per and we'll all look back at this moment in time when injured Baker had no leverage and we left blood in the water.

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

dude murders the Baker is anti clutch crowd 

Yep! my best friend during the game text me that Mullens is doing what Baker can’t and I responded with “what, being healthy” and he responds with making a 4Q comeback. Told him “ it must be nice seeing a WR make a tough catch for one” (talking about the DPJ catch). When I saw this tweet, I instantly sent it to him.

• Like 1

I have been a loyal Baker supporter since the Bengal's game last year when he went lights out. 

With how good Mullens looked on Monday I would be surprised if 

1. we keep Keenum, he is gone

2. we sign Baker long term this off season.

the gap between Baker and Mullens exists, mostly in explosive plays and the capacity to make explosive plays, Around the 0-10 throws Mullens may be better than Baker. But Baker has the potential to attack near every inch of grass, which is very important. 

3. I think Berry will explore upgrading the QB position unless Baker really shows us something this week and the next 3. 

4. the Job of Berry this off season is to upgrade the perimeter weapons for this team. On paper we had them with OBJ, Jarvis and Njoku. But they were all fatally flawed, OBJ didnt want to be here, and his talent is that of a solid no. 2 or a great 3rd option. Jarvis has been beaten to death with his physical style of play. Njoku doesn't have great hands. DPJ is too inconsistent at the moment to be a no.1 WR. Higgins is a good no. 4 WR. He thrives with no attention given. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I have been a loyal Baker supporter since the Bengal's game last year when he went lights out. 

With how good Mullens looked on Monday I would be surprised if 

1. we keep Keenum, he is gone

2. we sign Baker long term this off season.

the gap between Baker and Mullens exists, mostly in explosive plays and the capacity to make explosive plays, Around the 0-10 throws Mullens may be better than Baker. But Baker has the potential to attack near every inch of grass, which is very important. 

3. I think Berry will explore upgrading the QB position unless Baker really shows us something this week and the next 3. 

4. the Job of Berry this off season is to upgrade the perimeter weapons for this team. On paper we had them with OBJ, Jarvis and Njoku. But they were all fatally flawed, OBJ didnt want to be here, and his talent is that of a solid no. 2 or a great 3rd option. Jarvis has been beaten to death with his physical style of play. Njoku doesn't have great hands. DPJ is too inconsistent at the moment to be a no.1 WR. Higgins is a good no. 4 WR. He thrives with no attention given. 

I agree with all of this except the bolded. I've line Mullens since he was on SF and think he's probably already better than Keenum at this point. He doesn't have an arm, though. I don't think anyone in the FO considers him a long-term (or even season-long) starting option. You may be correct that they are gonna let Baker play next year on the tag, but I don't think it'll be because of Mullens dinking and dunking on a depleted Raiders defense with middling success.

To your point 3, that may very well be the case. I wouldn't be surprised (and wouldn't be against it) if one of the top prospects like Carson Strong or Malik Willis was there around our second rounder and we selected them. Even if Baker is the guy going forward, that's just sound drafting and I'm surprised more teams don't spend more than a fourth round pick on a quality backup QB in a cost-controlled contract.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm still down to extend Baker now if it's a bargain, like 3/$90mil, $60mil gtd. He's gonna do fine next year and we will extend him for close to $50mil per and we'll all look back at this moment in time when injured Baker had no leverage and we left blood in the water.

The best reason to extend Mayfield no name brand receiver is coming here if you do not no who the qb is 

Mike Williams yes I am interested at 25,00,000 a year but who is your qb

My agents says if they did not extend him with a 12 win year can I pick them up to win 13 no thank you goodbye. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree with all of this excerpt the bolded. I've line Mullens since he was on SF and think he's probably already better than Keenum at this point. He doesn't have an arm, though. I don't think anyone in the FO considers him a long-term (or even season-long) starting option. You may be correct that they are gonna let Baker play next year on the tag, but I don't think it'll be because of Mullens dinking and dunking on a depleted Raiders defense with middling success.

I guess it felt like there should have been a bigger gap between Baker and Mullens. I wasnt wowed by Mullens but it felt too close. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

To your point 3, that may very well be the case. I wouldn't be surprised (and wouldn't be against it) if one of the top prospects like Carson Strong or Malik Willis was there around our second rounder and we selected them. Even if Baker is the guy going forward, that's just sound drafting and I'm surprised more teams don't spend more than a fourth round pick on a quality backup QB in a cost-controlled contract.

I think they may look at Russ or Watson (puke) and not go there. But I bet something happens with our QB situation even if nothing goes down. 

I wouldnt be against using a 2nd rounder on a QB, but that hasnt worked out recently IIRC the guy in Phili is doing ok with Hurts but not great, is he better than Baker?  The only way it works out is if you get a Russel Wilson or a Drew Brees (even then it took x2 teams for him to work).