Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Ok first off,  somebody has every right to be homophobic if being around homosexual people makes them uncomfortable.  No, it’s not immaturity/insecurity.  There are still millions of heterosexual people who are very sure of themselves and still feel that way.  

They don’t have to make homophobic slurs or enact violence against that group of people, but they have every right to disassociate themselves from homosexuals.  

And, given the fact that the NFL is a source of employment for the heterosexual players just as much as it is for the homosexual player, they have a right to voice their concern.  No, they should not ever have to fear losing their job.  

Do you feel the same way if a homophobe was a doctor/nurse, and they were too uncomfortable to treat a gay patient?

Why should this be any different?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Hit the nail on the head, especially the bolded.

To me, this isn't a big deal. I understand that as a society, we are not quite there yet so I give him a ton of credit for making the announcement, but I couldn't care less what he does off the field as long as he's a good person.  

I know the argument will be along the lines of "Being straight isnt considered taboo like being gay is"....and thats true, but attacking others for not praising him doesnt promote progress...it inhibits it.

Am I saying you can't give Nassib credit for coming out?   Not at all, but I personally dont care.   I care who he is as an individual.  People calling that dismissive are so fake....more interested in looking like a hero than anything else.   

One of my best friends growing up was gay.    Have several former military friends who are gay.  Have a coworker I work close to that is gay....I support them, and would have their backs against anyone who hated on them for it.   

But the fact that they are gay is irrelevant to me.    They are good people.   Thats what matters.

Nassib seems like a good dude.   I have no issue with him coming out.   I also dont care.   Anyone who has a problem with that...I care even less.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

I know the argument will be along the lines of "Being straight isnt considered taboo like being gay is"....and maybe thats true, but attacking others for not praising him doesnt promote progress...it inhibits it.

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

Am I saying you can't give Nassib credit for coming out?   Not at all, but I personally dont care.   I care who he is as an individual.  People calling that dismissive are so fake....more interested in looking like a hero than anything else.   

One of my best friends growing up was gay.    Have several former military friends who are gay.  Have a coworker I work close to that is gay....I support them, and would have their backs against anyone who hated on them for it.   

But the fact that they are gay is irrelevant to me.    They are good people.   Thats what matters.

Nassib seems like a good dude.   I have no issue with him coming out.   I also dont care.   Anyone who has a problem with that...I care even less.

I mean, I don’t know you at all but I’m willing to accept what you say at face value.

And if all of that is true, great.  But I think you’re sharp enough to realize that many people don’t feel this way.  And that’s why this IS important.  It helps normalize the situation and puts a face and name to something that has by and large been taboo in the league (and society in general to a large degree) for a long time.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Ok first off,  somebody has every right to be homophobic if being around homosexual people makes them uncomfortable.  No, it’s not immaturity/insecurity.  There are still millions of heterosexual people who are very sure of themselves and still feel that way.  

They don’t have to make homophobic slurs or enact violence against that group of people, but they have every right to disassociate themselves from homosexuals.  

And, given the fact that the NFL is a source of employment for the heterosexual players just as much as it is for the homosexual player, they have a right to voice their concern.  No, they should not ever have to fear losing their job.  

What concerns exactly?

He has been playing football for years with no issues.    Just because he is out now means players should act differently around/towards him?

If players (or anyone) merely cant respect someone's orientation....thats their problem.   

• Like 5

Been on this forum a while. Hard to remember more distasteful garbage than what I've just read from @RamblinMan99 Hopefully this individual changes their mindset down the road. 

Thread isn't even gonna see the next sunrise. Shame. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Wait, I’m sorry, you’re saying there are people ARE sure of themselves and homophobic?  Why?  I thought it was just a typo, but now I’m not sure.

I mean, other than bigotry, what other reason would there be?

Religion is a hell of a drug. Guessing Nassib won't be a Texan in the near future.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

41 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

By 'they', do you mean homophobes? Is this an argument for homophobes as a protected class?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

tenor.gif

Took the maybe out.   Didnt mean to put that in there.  My bad.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I don’t know you at all but I’m willing to accept what you say at face value.

And if all of that is true, great.  But I think you’re sharp enough to realize that many people don’t feel this way.  And that’s why this IS important.  It helps normalize the situation and puts a face and name to something that has by and large been taboo in the league (and society in general to a large degree) for a long time.

Being accepting of it and preaching tolerance is fine.  Thats not my issue.

My issue is calling people "dismissive" simply because they choose not to make a big deal of it.   

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Thing is, he literally said "Am I saying you can't give Nassib credit for coming out?   Not at all, but I personally dont care."

He's not speaking for "many people". He's just saying that aspect of the guy's life makes no difference to him and for some reason it's popular nowadays to take that as him being against it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Been on this forum a while. Hard to remember more distasteful garbage than what I've just read from @RamblinMan99 Hopefully this individual changes their mindset down the road. 

His username definitely checks out.

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Thread isn't even gonna see the next sunrise. Shame. 

I hope it does.  If people can’t discuss an adult topic like an adult, remove them from the discussion, not the discussion itself imo.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Thing is, he literally said "Am I saying you can't give Nassib credit for coming out?   Not at all, but I personally dont care."

He's not speaking for "many people". He's just saying that aspect of the guy's life makes no difference to him and for some reason it's popular nowadays to take that as him being against it. 

It’s highly likely that I’m just an idiot, but I can’t read a lick of that.

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Religion is a hell of a drug. Guessing Nassib won't be a Texan in the near future.

Nassib was closely tied to the Texans during the BoB era, ironically enough...

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, reading the "who cares, stop making a big deal of it" reaction on twitter is painful.

If you can't see what a huge deal this is then you're ignorant; plain and simple. Statistics make it abundantly clear that there is absolutely no way there is only 1 gay player in the NFL. With Nassib coming out, it opens the door for others to potentially be comfortable to be themselves and live their life how they want to.

It's incredibly brave. 

Society is so weak that this is considered so brave. Literally who cares. 

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s highly likely that I’m just an idiot, but I can’t read a lick of that.

Just highlight the darkened part to read it.

• Like 1