Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You really think that people don't care? Do you live in a cave? Just go read the responses on twitter to the news. To open yourself to that kind of abuse for doing NOTHING wrong at all is incredibly brave. Nassib will, without a single doubt, receive death threats for coming out as gay. You don't think it's brave to open yourself to that abuse, just so you can be you?

You are right, though. Society is weak. Too weak to accept that boys can like boys and girls can like girls.

Society is also ignorant. Hopefully you have a mirror in your house somwhere.

F A T A L I T Y. 

I mean umm...yeah, I agree. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm aware that we're not quite where we should be yet, so I applaud him making the announcement and realize it will help some others come out, but that doesn't mean that someone who couldn't care less is automatically against it. It just means that they value who someone is as an individual and doesn't take things like race/sexual orientation/religion/etc into account when forming their opinion. That's a good thing. 

When a person is saying "I'm coming out to draw attention to this issue" someone else saying "I don't care" really isn't all that helpful or progressive. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't think there's any gap between people who claim they don't understand why this is big news and people who just don't want to hear about it. 

Oh, but they'll try to explain why it is/isn't...

• Like 4

If you are indifferent to this, then that is okay.  But what is the point of posting in this thread?  Just to say, "I don't care"?  It's pretty obvious why some people would consider that being dismissive.  Do you go into a thread about a TV show you have never watched just to express how irrelevant it is to you?

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 15

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

You really think that people don't care? Do you live in a cave? Just go read the responses on twitter to the news. To open yourself to that kind of abuse for doing NOTHING wrong at all is incredibly brave. Nassib will, without a single doubt, receive death threats for coming out as gay. You don't think it's brave to open yourself to that abuse, just so you can be you?

You are right, though. Society is weak. Too weak to accept that boys can like boys and girls can like girls.

Society is also ignorant. Hopefully you have a mirror in your house somewhere.

Very well said.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

No, its just ignorant to define people by their orientation like you and others apparently do.

Celebrating someone who had the courage to come out and provide representation for the gay community  isn't "defining" them it's supporting them.  

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I dont care about players being straight either.   Is that dismissive too, or are you only applying it to the group youre currently white knighting for?

Yes, I am dismissive of straight players sexuality.

They don't need support, they don't need attention drawn to their struggles.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Its hilarious how you dont even realize its attitudes like YOURS that continues to make players coming out such a big deal....because you ridicule people who DONT make a big deal of it.    

You're really, really not making the point you think they are.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If you are indifferent to this, then that is okay.  But what is the point of posting in this thread?  Just to say, "I don't care"?  It's pretty obvious why some people would consider that being dismissive.  Do you go into a thread about a TV show you have never watched just to express how irrelevant it is to you?

No, you're right. I just get tired of the whole "you don't see color/orientation/etc? you're part of the problem" accusations that happen these days, but that's not what this thread is about so I'll refrain from continuing. 

Edited by JonStark

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

No, you're right. I just get tired of the whole "you don't see color/orientation/etc? you're part of the problem" accusations that happen these days, but that's not what this thread is about so I'll refrain from continuing. 

We can't talk about it in in-depth this thread I'm sure, but you should absolutely (if you care to) look up why claiming to not see color or orientation (I've never heard the latter used in that context before much, but it still applies I reckon) can be very dismissive/harmful to the minority groups.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

False equivalency and you know it.

This is league news and relevant to culture...and everyone on here is part of that.

I care about Carl and support him.

We dont have to care about his orientation...or the orientation of any other player in the league.  Let me know when thats relevant to how they play the game or who they are as people.

Its just funny how many are preaching about accepting alternative views and  lifestyles when they clearly cant handle ones that differentiate from theirs even slightly.

• Like 1

Just now, iknowcool said:

We can't talk about it in in-depth this thread I'm sure, but you should absolutely (if you care to) look up why claiming to not see color or orientation (I've never heard the latter used in that context before much, but it still applies I reckon) can be very dismissive/harmful to the minority groups.

There's a difference between not personally seeing those qualities in a person and not acknowledging the struggles they have and still can go through. Just because they don't factor in when you form an opinion of an individual doesn't mean you automatically are dismissive that they have had roadblocks against them. 

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

Celebrating someone who had the courage to come out and provide representation for the gay community  isn't "defining" them it's supporting them.  

And bashing those who dont agree with you furthers this cause...how?

Yes, I am dismissive of straight players sexuality.

They don't need support, they don't need attention drawn to their struggles.

???

You're really, really not making the point you think they are.

Enlighten me.

Just now, 43M said:

False equivalency and you know it.

This is league news and relevant to culture...and everyone on here is part of that.

I care about Carl and support him.

We dont have to care about his orientation...or the orientation of any other player in the league.  Let me know when thats relevant to how they play the game or who they are as people.

I never said you had to care.  I'm just confused why someone who doesn't care thinks they need to post in this thread.  What purpose does it serve you to tell everyone how you don't care about someone's orientation?

I can think of a handful of reasons why someone might do that, but none of them are "person truly does not care."