Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

You implied myself and others shouldnt comment if we dont care.    I clarified I care about the individual and not his orientation.

Yeah, my fault.  The reason you posted in this thread, and said things like the following...

Its hilarious how you dont even realize its attitudes like YOURS that continues to make players coming out such a big deal....because you ridicule people who DONT make a big deal of it. 

is because you care about Carl Nassib the individual.  

How could any of us have ever been confused? 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, 43M said:

Thanks for proving my point about those who preach about tolerance the hardest usually being the most intolerant of all.

Youre a waste of time.

Can I offer a suggestion that you take to heart? I know you’ve largely been here to say that it’s okay to say you don’t care about his orientation, and that’s the path you’re on. But if you’re genuine about the “enlighten me” comment, I do have a very serious suggestion for you.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Can I offer a suggestion that you take to heart? I know you’ve largely been here to say that it’s okay to say you don’t care about his orientation, and that’s the path you’re on. But if you’re genuine about the “enlighten me” comment, I do have a very serious suggestion for you.

Go for it my man.

Even if it doesn’t resonate with him, it may with someone else.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 43M said:

We dont have to care about his orientation...or the orientation of any other player in the league.  Let me know when thats relevant to how they play the game or who they are as people.

Not caring about a racial/sexual minorities struggles and the discriminations they face shows a real lack of character. 

I don't know why you keep flexing it. 

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

I'd like to hear it regardless.

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ideally, some day, we truly don't want it to be a big deal. It should just be normalized without the need to make a big announcement.

We aren't there yet, and likely in the US we'll be decades behind other countries before it is.

Not a big deal to me. US is more excepting than 99% of other countries. My bro-in law is gay. He dresses in drag. I've gone to a few gay clubs to see him perform.

Nassib essentially told me the that grass is green. That's great Nassib but how many QB sacks are you getting this year. Are you going to start this year? Right now your just an average to below average player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Not a big deal to me. US is more excepting than 99% of other countries. My bro-in law is gay. He dresses in drag. I've gone to a few gay clubs to see him perform.

Nassib essentially told me the that grass is green. That's great Nassib but how many QB sacks are you getting this year. Are you going to start this year? Right now your just an average to below average player.

I have 2 gay bro-in-laws myself.

I was wondering how he was as a player. I think I saw him on Hard Knocks as a Brown, but I haven’t seen much of him since.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Not a big deal to me. US is more excepting than 99% of other countries.

That’s painting with a somewhat broad brush. The US is a big place.

I don’t think it’s crazy to assume a gay person who grew up in a place like SF and someone who grew up in say, Harrison, Arkansas are going to have very different experiences.

The point of someone like Nassib coming out publicly is so those folks who haven’t been raised in a supportive environment know they’re not alone and they’re ok too.

People need validation and acceptance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dome said:

That is literally what being dismissive means, as in, the dictionary definition… “indicating a lack of interest”

You know what I meant. In general terms when you "dismiss" someone/something you are purposely creating an air of negativity. Which is different than a topic that just isnt something that interest you, personally. A dumb example is you are at the check out line in a grocery store. One person picks up car and driver magazine and another picks up people. One person is interested in cars, the other is interested in who is dating who. You arent being "dismissive", you just arent interested. 

And yes, I know, this is a bigger topic and effects more people. So I, personally, am glad that he came out and provides a face to the LBGT community in a male dominated sport. 

6 hours ago, Dome said:

So yeah, you are being dismissive of something that is a huge deal to a lot of people. 

If the best you can be is dismissive, best just bite your tongue. 

This is silly. The internet, forums in particular, are built for discussion. No one should bite their tongue unless they are full of hate and/or attempting to incite people. Then they need to speak with a therapist or someone to address their mental health. 

Discussion leads to progress. 

3 hours ago, Dome said:

Pardon my French, but those people can **** right off. 

I did read an interesting point on another player who came out recently. I think it was maybe a packers OL? Anyways the discussion point was around showering and why he didnt do it with the team. The speculation was that it could have made his teammates uncomfortable or himself personally. Which is a bit different than being a teacher.

Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Regardless of the intent of the post, thats what it *feels* like when I read comments that feel the need to say that. And in many (not all) cases, I bet thats exactly whats going on.

Again, dangerous assumption. Its 2021 - arent we supposed to be moving away from assumptions about other people? 

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Kind of reads like the "I don't see color/gender" when dismissing barriers overcome by minorities/women in areas where they previously werent able to be.

Dismissing challenges is very different than attempting to convey that you are welcoming to all color, genders, sexualities. One is regressive, the other is progressive. You are attempting to turn a phrase that someone might say as progressive and make it negative. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ideally, some day, we truly don't want it to be a big deal. It should just be normalized without the need to make a big announcement.

We aren't there yet, and likely in the US we'll be decades behind other countries before it is.

Honestly, I don't know. I think most countries are still as bad about it as we are. Look at Mexico recently with the soccer match. Hell, the soccer community in general tells you all you need to know about it being close. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You arent being "dismissive", you just arent interested. 

How many kids are getting kicked onto the streets because they're watching a different TV show than their parents?

How many people are afraid of being fired because they prefer bologna over a "real" lunchmeat?

How many people think they might get beat up if anyone finds out they like jazz music?

You said the magazine example was a dumb example and you are totally right, and the fact that you used it says everything I need to know about why you're arguing. You shouldn't have to use "dumb" examples.

Dumb examples grow up to be stupid points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I respect your take....and I respect people for showing support of Carl...as we should.

But too often these days, the people preaching tolerance are often the most intolerant ones.   

Its one thing to criticize those who bash Carl for his orientation....its another to attack those who are merely indifferent and don't care either way.

People shouldn’t tolerate homophobia, racism , sexism etc. You can call that intolerant all you want , but that’s a false equivalency. 

This will stop being an issue when people grow up and stop treating different , attacking and killing people based off their sexuality. 

Edited by Rainmaker90
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So I, personally, am glad that he came out

You're so glad he came out you forgot to mention it in your first post. 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats an odd assumption. Not being interested in someones sexuality =/= dismissive or purposely wanting to ignore it. It could be just a true statement that can be taken at face value. Which is a much more progressive stance than the one you are labeling people. As Nassib himself said - he is excited about the day it is no longer news. For some people, that day has already come. Its not news and its no big deal to them individually. 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

People shouldn’t tolerate homophobia, racism , sexism etc. You can call that intolerant all you want , but that’s a false equivalency. 

It's a type of logic that is only ever used to defend oppressors. That's literally it's only use. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Yes, that happens often lol

"This trailer didn't move the needle for me, I wont be watching."

"Meh, this doesn't intrigue me"

Oh god they're going to take this comment as a huge win.

• Like 1