Unwarranted scapegoats in NFL history.

TecmoSuperJoe

16 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Barry Switzer. In fact, opinion of Barry Switzer is one of the great litmus tests in sports. It was amazing how well that worked in the Las Vegas sports betting community. Anyone with a negative of appraisal of him we'd laugh at and know they would bust out of town in a hurry.

Tremendous coach on every level. 4-0 record in bowl games against Bowden, Osborne and Paterno. Only the second coach in NFL history to regain the championship with a team dethroned one year prior. Only Halas, Switzer and Belichick have managed that feat.

Dude was arguably the most corrupt coach in the history of college football. 

• Like 5

In my opinion, Gary Anderson deserves every single bit of heat he gets for that miss.  Sure, he didn't have a miss all season, but how much stress did he have?  The Vikings went 15-1 that season and probably still would have had the same record if Anderson had missed every kick.  They needed him to come through for them ONE TIME all season, and he blew it, at home, when he had the chance to send the team to the Super Bowl.  The blame he has taken over the years has been COMPLETELY warranted.  There was no excuse for missing that kick.

8 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I’d put Cody Pakrey in this also. Sure he “missed” the kick that would have won it. But the Bears up until that point weren’t able to do anything offensively, they could have locked up the game way before that against a depleted Eagles team but couldn’t do anything. It was just another complete failure in Nagys and the Bears line of them. 

Tell that to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIZC2UF5K1o

On 7/4/2021 at 5:37 PM, TitanSlim said:

Brandon Bostick is thought of as the main culprit for who cost the Packers the 2014 NFC Championship game.

The guys who should be getting more blame imo is Morgan Burnett for sliding after the pick with about 5 minutes left and Julius Peppers for telling him to slide. Years later and that still bothers me as much as the Bostick error.

Well.  I didn't realize that this would was still fresh to me.  But it is.  

Bostick screwed it up royally, no doubt.  Peppers, though.....grrrrr.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:00 PM, Awsi Dooger said:

Barry Switzer. In fact, opinion of Barry Switzer is one of the great litmus tests in sports. It was amazing how well that worked in the Las Vegas sports betting community. Anyone with a negative of appraisal of him we'd laugh at and know they would bust out of town in a hurry.

Tremendous coach on every level. 4-0 record in bowl games against Bowden, Osborne and Paterno. Only the second coach in NFL history to regain the championship with a team dethroned one year prior. Only Halas, Switzer and Belichick have managed that feat.

Somehow the simpletons wanted that Cowboys team to keep gobbling up titles for a decade or more. Yeah, that happens all the time. Easy sledding in the NFC in those years, given only the likes of Steve Young and Brett Favre to worry about. What could possibly go wrong against those guys, when we've got declining Troy Aikman and his 6.7 YPA?

Barry Switzer was a great college coach, but he was an underwhelming NFL HC. Just the truth, dawg.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Barry Switzer was a great college coach, but he was an underwhelming NFL HC. Just the truth, dawg.

He didn't even have the respect of much of his team. And I don't even want to hear about college resumes when assessing what a coach can do in the pro's.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

And I don't even want to hear about college resumes when assessing what a coach can do in the pro's.

Off topic and completely hypothetical, I know, but I still think Paterno could've been one of the best NFL coaches of all time if he pursued it.

But I get your point tho.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

20 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That Tight End for Green Bay in 2014.

I remember getting so much heat for putting that L on McCarthy. 4 years later, all their fans turned on him anyways.

There were plenty of goats in that game - McCarthy's decision-making wasn't optimal, but also Bostick (who isn't the SOLE reason but isn't blameless, either...if you're going to go up to get the football against what your coach told you, you'd best come down with it) or Clay Matthews simply not even attempting to make a play on lobbed 2 pt pass. Very much a team loss. 

• Like 1