Your top 5 cornerbacks

Letsch80

A lot of talent at the position right now. 

1. Jalen Ramsey

2. Jaire Alexander

3. Marlon Humphrey (A bit biased)

4. Xavien Howard

5. Tredavious White

Just missed

James Bradberry, Stephon Gilmore, Marshawn Lattimore, Denzel Ward

I think that's (the OP list) pretty close. William Jackson has the athletic profile, hitting prime age and ceiling to really vault into the conversation if Washington's defense plays to potential with his new fit as well.

• Like 2

Would be hard to have Stephon Gilmore not at or near the top, he is arguably been better than any corner in the league over the past few seasons.  JC Jackson is an up and coming CB as well with a lot of ability.  

Honestly the CB group in the league is not all that deep, one would be hard pressed to say 10 absolutely corners.  Then again with how the rules are it is hard to be really successful at the position anyway for a long period of time.  

Take 2005 for example, not sure you have this many solid corners in the league now than you did back then.  But again the rules were different then as well.

Champ Bailey
Ty Law
Charles Woodson
Nate Clements
Shawn Springs
Antoine Winfield
Patrick Surtain
Asante Samuel
Marcus Trufant
DeAngelo Hall
Sam Madison
Charles Tillman
Dunta Robinson
Lito Shepard
Terell Buckley
Terence Newman
Chris Gamble
Al Harris
Deltha O'Neal
Dre Bly

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hmmm.

No particular order, Ramsey, Alexander, Howard, Gilmore, White.  Those are who come to mind first.  Then Humphrey, Lattimore.  Maybe the next tier is Ward, Peterson and a whole host of others.  

I agree with that statement.

27 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I agree with that statement.

Taking it one step farther, for right now...Ramsey has to be the clear cut #1, right?

I know Howard is coming off of a great year, but Ramsey is just a better athlete.

I feel like White is a little underrated, like he could be as close as Ramsey, I just don't see him enough.

I lose a little bit with Gilmore because New England struggled last year and he's getting older.  There very well may be a younger, better player to be in the top 5.

As a Packer fan, Alexander is so young, and such a lockdown kid.  But to me, GB has to use him to mirror the other team's best if I'm going to think he's competing for the best CB in the league.  Not saying he can't, am saying I haven't seen GB really use him that way yet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Taking it one step farther, for right now...Ramsey has to be the clear cut #1, right?

I know Howard is coming off of a great year, but Ramsey is just a better athlete.

I feel like White is a little underrated, like he could be as close as Ramsey, I just don't see him enough.

I lose a little bit with Gilmore because New England struggled last year and he's getting older.  There very well may be a younger, better player to be in the top 5.

As a Packer fan, Alexander is so young, and such a lockdown kid.  But to me, GB has to use him to mirror the other team's best if I'm going to think he's competing for the best CB in the league.  Not saying he can't, am saying I haven't seen GB really use him that way yet.

To me Ramsey is the clear cut number 1 with Jaire behind him then Gilmore, White, Howard. The only real thing that puts Jaire ahead of Stephon for me is Stephons age. But would blink an eye if I saw him as the number 2 in a list.

• Like 1

It's not biased to put Humphrey in the top 3. What I love about him is that he does everything. Coverage, run defense, tillman punch 2.0. Throw him into the slot (which is definitely worse for your metrics as a CB) because the team loses their slot corner and has Peters and Jimmy Smith as strictly boundary corner, sure! He does it all. 

Denzel Ward is a guy who I feel like I've never actually seen him do anything special despite watching the AFC North very closely. Everyone says he's good at football though and I guess he doesn't allow catches when he's standing on the sideline. Even on the field the rest of the Browns' secondary has been so bad that why would you even throw at an average CB?

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am throwing Pat Surtain II in there right now...and I know he is a rook, but dude is not built like other rooks. 

Are you talking about the rookie Pat Surtain that hasn't played a snap in the NFL? Yeah he's not a top 30 CB yet, let alone top 5 lol. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, vegas492 said:

Hmmm.

No particular order, Ramsey, Alexander, Howard, Gilmore, White.  Those are who come to mind first.  Then Humphrey, Lattimore.  Maybe the next tier is Ward, Peterson and a whole host of others.  

I agree with this. Ramsey and Gilmore are the clear cut Tier 1 with Alexander, White and Howard as clear-cut tier 2.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

I remember doing this thread as a poll last year, listing a bunch of names to consider. "What about Darius Slay??" Eagles fans cried. 

What about him? 

He checks in at #9 on the ESPN plus ranking from coaches, executives and players. He was ranked #4 last year in the same ranking.