NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So Kawhi has 3 options @CWood21

1. Opt into his contract and then immediately sign a max extension that would kick in during the 2022-2023 season. He'd be sacrificing $3.3M next season but the deal overall would be a 5 yr/$217.5M deal including a $50.2M salary in 2025-2026. 

2. Opt out of his contract and then immediately sign a max extension with the Clippers. The deal would be 4 yr/$177M so he'd make $9M more over that 4 year period but wouldn't have the 5th year worth $50M. 

3. Opt out of his contract and sign a max extension elsewhere. The deal would be worth 4 yr/$169M with another team so he'd be losing out on the extra year and sacrificing $8M over the next 4 years but could sign with a team that he feels gives him a better chance at another ring. 

There's no reason for him to opt in and sign an extension.  You take less money long term if you sign an extension as opposed to waiting until your contract expires.  It's one of the litany of issues in the NBA CBA.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think many view him as a cornerstone piece. He is what he is at this point, decent scorer, very good shooter, and a bad defender. Over the last two seasons he has been 3rd in the league in 3PM per game averaging around 4 3PM on a 40% clip. 

His contract isn't great but it's not terrible either, whoever does trade for him would be getting him on a 3 yr/$61M deal. 

I saw a hypothetical trade where the Pelicans would send Bledsoe and #10 to Sacramento for Hield and #9. I think that'd be a solid move for both teams. Bledsoe obviously doesn't do much for the Kings to make them more competitive but they'd be able to dump him and free up a ton of cap space after next season. And the Pelicans would be acquiring one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. 

In a best case scenario for the Pelicans I think they'd make a move like that for Hield while also dumping Adams and acquiring Myles Turner. If they were able to make those moves I'd also bring back Lonzo Ball. 

Ball - Hield - Ingram - Zion - Turner 

@MookieMonstah

Sign me up.

Just now, CWood21 said:

He could sign a 1+1, 2+1, or 3+1.

With the knee injury plus the fact that he's already 30 and likely to miss this season, he's potentially playing with fire. I'll be shocked if he doesn't seek long-term financial security this off-season either from the Clippers or another team. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

With the knee injury plus the fact that he's already 30 and likely to miss this season, he's potentially playing with fire. I'll be shocked if he doesn't seek long-term financial security this off-season either from the Clippers or another team. 

Is it any different than Kevin Durant?  I mean, I'd be more concerned with Durant coming off his torn Achilles then Kawhi off a torn ACL.

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Why is Memphis trying to trade for Bledsoe lol 

It's to move up in the draft. I actually sent out a fake trade offer earlier this summer based around the same concept: #17 for #10 and Bledsoe + other things to sweeten the deal.

I'm all for it if it gets us Bouknight, but that's about it.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is it any different than Kevin Durant?  I mean, I'd be more concerned with Durant coming off his torn Achilles then Kawhi off a torn ACL.

Durant didn't take a risky one year deal coming off of the Achilles though. He immediately secured the bag, IIRC he went to the Nets via S&T to ensure the biggest possible contract he could get.