Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, hey, if you guys want to say that Vic Fangio is a better HC than Kyle Shanahan, be my guest. Maybe we should post a poll in NFL General and see what the overall sentiment is on that. 

There you go, putting words in people's mouths again. Nobody has said that, have they?

You champion Shanahan despite him having a losing record and him losing in both of his Superbowls, but chastise Paton for having never won a Superbowl.

So, to avoid contradicting yourself, you'd either have to back away from criticising Paton's lack of Superbowl ring or back away from your effusive praise of Kyle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

If we got blown out you'd be calling for his head too. So basically, it wouldn't matter how we performed, you'd be complaining. This team is not even in the same orbit as that god awful Lions team. And you of course know that.

My point is just the preseason doesn't matter. Of course we're better than the 2008 Lions. 

What I don't understand is the extreme excitement everyone has. This roster is not much different than last year's that went 5-11. Is an improved secondary, even a markedly improved secondary, which we do have, make a six win improvement? Is Teddy worth a six win improvement? We have the same, largely incompetent coaching staff with a HC who only cares about and pays attention to one side of the ball. 

People like the potential for the running game, okay, I want to see Pat Shurmur make a commitment to running the ball rather than going three wide all the damn time, especially with a QB who doesn't throw the ball more than 9 yards downfield. What are defenses going to do? Stack the box to stop the run, keep the receivers in front of them and clamp down on everything. This team is going to look like the 2009 McDaniels/Orton team. Only difference, as I've said before, is McDaniels was a better in-game coach than Vic. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My point is just the preseason doesn't matter. Of course we're better than the 2008 Lions. 

What I don't understand is the extreme excitement everyone has. This roster is not much different than last year's that went 5-11. Is an improved secondary, even a markedly improved secondary, which we do have, make a six win improvement? Is Teddy worth a six win improvement? We have the same, largely incompetent coaching staff with a HC who only cares about and pays attention to one side of the ball. 

People like the potential for the running game, okay, I want to see Pat Shurmur make a commitment to running the ball rather than going three wide all the damn time, especially with a QB who doesn't throw the ball more than 9 yards downfield. What are defenses going to do? Stack the box to stop the run, keep the receivers in front of them and clamp down on everything. This team is going to look like the 2009 McDaniels/Orton team. Only difference, as I've said before, is McDaniels was a better in-game coach than Vic. 

I don't know that I see 6 wins, but improved health, regular improvements from the 2nd year guys we are all excited about, and a last place schedule could equate to 3-5 extra wins if you ask me

31 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There you go, putting words in people's mouths again. Nobody has said that, have they?

You champion Shanahan despite him having a losing record and him losing in both of his Superbowls, but chastise Paton for having never won a Superbowl.

So, to avoid contradicting yourself, you'd either have to back away from criticising Paton's lack of Superbowl ring or back away from your effusive praise of Kyle.

Okay, fair enough. Kyle hasn't won a ring and he made some critical errors as a HC in the SB against KC and as an OC in the SB against Atlanta. 

In Vic's one Super Bowl (XLVII) his vaunted defense - remember, he's best defensive mind in the NFL according to some around here - allowed the Joe Flacco-led Ravens to score 27 points (BAL's other TD came on the KO). 

Paton has never built a team (he's been basically a second- or third in command since 2001 in Miami) that's even gone to a Super Bowl, let alone win one. 

In two years, Kyle took a team that was totally decrepit and took them to the Super Bowl and Kyle has as much authority over player personnel as any HC this side of Bill Belichick. 

31 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I don't know that I see 6 wins, but improved health, regular improvements from the 2nd year guys we are all excited about, and a last place schedule could equate to 3-5 extra wins if you ask me

So then what after this year? Bring Teddy back and hope we can get another WC berth? 

Starting Teddy - which was decided the day he was signed, the GM and OC have prior ties to him and the HC, by his own admission, doesn't even watch the offense and prefers a conservative game-manger - is just as short-sighted and foolish move as signing Keenum and Flacco. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So then what after this year? Bring Teddy back and hope we can get another WC berth? 

Starting Teddy - which was decided the day he was signed, the GM and OC have prior ties to him and the HC, by his own admission, doesn't even watch the offense and prefers a conservative game-manger - is just as short-sighted and foolish move as signing Keenum and Flacco. 

For the record I wanted Fields and am not pleased that we passed on him.   But was just answering for the year I could see 8-10 wins as a realistic possibility 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I thought the Broncos traded for Teddy?  WTF? 

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

For the record I wanted Fields and am not pleased that we passed on him.   But was just answering for the year I could see 8-10 wins as a realistic possibility 

I thought Fields would have been a better choice as well. 

So what bugs me most about this is the decision basically came down to veteran journeyman vs rookie. And Paton chose the former. If they were going to go with Lock they wouldn’t have traded for Teddy. If they weren’t going to go with Lock (which obviously was decided pre-draft) then you draft the rookie. 

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

I would agree with this. Going from one of the toughest to one of the easiest schedules, continued improvement of the OL under munch, continued improvement of the young skill players, getting court back, getting Von back, massive improvement in the secondary, and yeah improved QB play (which I think we would have had regardless of the QB) should result in ~5 more wins

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

WHY ??  His son is running the show there in SF, Mike has probably even "consulted" for his kid. 

Its clearly more than 'consulting' - Mike has access to video of all the team and positional meetings and is in almost constant contact with Kyle. This is not a surprise - Mike Shanahan could still be regarded as one of the sharpest minds in American Football and you can be sure that Kyle will take advantage of it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Its clearly more than 'consulting' - Mike has access to video of all the team and positional meetings and is in almost constant contact with Kyle. This is not a surprise - Mike Shanahan could still be regarded as one of the sharpest minds in American Football and you can be sure that Kyle will take advantage of it.

Think you just regurgitated what I was saying....