Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

I actually do think there’s a 10-11 win, wild card berth ceiling for this roster because the defense could be excellent and there’s just so much skill talent offensively, they’ll make a decent amount of big plays on talent alone. 

It is frustrating to see the same groups/positions underperforming: QB, OL in pass pro and special teams. Three areas  that have been consistently below average-very bad for five years and still don’t look much improved. 

• Like 3

Only watched the game quickly just now. Will try and watch again tomorrow. Early thoughts:

Have yourself a game, Johnathon Cooper ... Fangio already talked about him as a rotational pass rusher and ST player postgame. He's making the the 53.

Ultimately, the QB is going to be who the Coaching staff think can win on 3rd down best. It was basically the same as last week - starting QB played well with the 1s, second QB did a pretty good job behind an OL with definite issues. It's only preseason, but Bridgewater has done a better job of getting points that is for sure.

Hopefully Ojemudia didn't tear his ACL. 

I didn't notice our IDL much. Looking forward to re-watching.

• Like 1

Just started watching the game again, and just saw the Jeudy play on 4th down. Hollllllllly ishhhhh - look at this pass pro by Javonte Williams ........

The dude's head nearly goes back through his own endzone lol.

Such a shame he had that brutal 3rd down drop, because the talk would surely be about how we may have a 3 down back from day 1 on our hands.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Just started watching the game again, and just saw the Jeudy play on 4th down. Hollllllllly ishhhhh - look at this pass pro by Javonte Williams ........

Such a shame he had that brutal 3rd down drop, because the talk would surely be about how we may have a 3 down back from day 1 on our hands.

He was a LB at some point wasn't he before he became a running back

I will say despite my general feeling of malaise around our offense (Shurmer and QB situation), I am excited about certain elements of our team for the first time in a long time. Definitely what @lomaxgrUK is showing from Williams as well as his general tenacity is exciting on that side of the ball...much moreso than Gordon's endless fumbles and stupid flea flickers. We also have absolute GAMERS on the defensive side.

I'm imagining being an offense trying to keep an allegedly rehabbed Miller and a renewed Chubb off my QB while at the same time trying not to throw an interception against Fuller and Sertain going at full speed with Callahan covering the third option very well. I can't throw it well mid too cause Jackson's gonna take my dude's head off or Simmons being another interception threat...all awhile trying to throw it over Shelby who bats anything in his bubble. That's pretty nasty sounding fellas especially with increased emphasis on interceptions this year according to Fangio rather than safe tackles

Interesting move signing another RB before the last preseason game, especially to "replace" Killians, the diminutive RB/KR. Easy to speculate they're looking more for a replacement for a possibly soon-to-be-traded Freeman, at least until Boone can return. 

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I will say despite my general feeling of malaise around our offense (Shurmer and QB situation), I am excited about certain elements of our team for the first time in a long time. Definitely what @lomaxgrUK is showing from Williams as well as his general tenacity is exciting on that side of the ball...much moreso than Gordon's endless fumbles and stupid flea flickers. We also have absolute GAMERS on the defensive side.

I'm imagining being an offense trying to keep an allegedly rehabbed Miller and a renewed Chubb off my QB while at the same time trying not to throw an interception against Fuller and Sertain going at full speed with Callahan covering the third option very well. I can't throw it well mid too cause Jackson's gonna take my dude's head off or Simmons being another interception threat...all awhile trying to throw it over Shelby who bats anything in his bubble. That's pretty nasty sounding fellas especially with increased emphasis on interceptions this year according to Fangio rather than safe tackles

That's a good analysis. A team does not want to get in a passing situation against our D. That would be bad.

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Impressive on lots of levels! Our IOL gave Teddy a pocket to climb, much thanks to Williams. Edge rushers weren't a factor. Teddy found his guy, climbed the pocket and fired a 25 yard dart.

That's pretty football.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:53 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Only watched the game quickly just now. Will try and watch again tomorrow. Early thoughts:

Have yourself a game, Johnathon Cooper ... Fangio already talked about him as a rotational pass rusher and ST player postgame. He's making the the 53.

Ultimately, the QB is going to be who the Coaching staff think can win on 3rd down best. It was basically the same as last week - starting QB played well with the 1s, second QB did a pretty good job behind an OL with definite issues. It's only preseason, but Bridgewater has done a better job of getting points that is for sure.

Hopefully Ojemudia didn't tear his ACL. 

I didn't notice our IDL much. Looking forward to re-watching.

Great call!

PFF just graded him as the highest ranked rookie defender through 2 games. PS2 was 2nd and Micah Parsons 3rd.

I,m curious how Williams is doing. If kids like he and Agim step up our rotation should be real solid.

One thing I want to call out, is how well Vic has gotten our entire team prepared for the preseason games. No total turnovers, only 5 penalties vs the vikings and none vs the Seahawks. If he can improve on his in game management (time outs/clock management mainly) he could be one of the better head coaches in the league imo. I'm still not a big fan of having a defensive minded head coach as that would mean either below average offensive play or high turnover if they play well, but it could definitely be way worse (cough Vance Joseph, McDaniels, cough).

Edited by grizmo78

More interesting Q to me is: if we make the playoffs as a WC team and lose R1 does Fangio actually keep his job? At some point Paton will need to either pick his own guy or commit to Fangio as his own and my hunch is, unless we WAY outperform expectations, it’ll be the former.