Training Camp 2021

AKRNA

20 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Never want to get too opinionated in the preseason. But I've gotta say, I'm not nearly as optimistic about our season as some of you after watching the last 6 quarters. Few thoughts:

The offense looks smoother with Bridgewater. That's not a good thing. Yeah, Teddy looks great against second stringers running a vanilla defense. But that style of play isn't going to move the chains once the regular season starts. I'm sorry, it's just not. I love his pocket presence. But defenses are gonna jump all over those short routes and suffocate our run game once we're playing for real. There's zero chance we average more than 18-20 points per game with him, and that's not gonna be enough.

I'm seeing a lot of breakdowns on our offensive line over the last 2 games that are going to cause a serious problem if they don't fix that before the regular season starts, regardless of who our QB is. 

Defense looks as sharp as advertised. It isn't going to be an all-time D like we had in 2015. But I'm guessing it will def be a top 8 unit.

We basically have to choose Drew Lock's punt ints over Teddy's squib kick ints

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Never want to get too opinionated in the preseason. But I've gotta say, I'm not nearly as optimistic about our season as some of you after watching the last 6 quarters. Few thoughts:

The offense looks smoother with Bridgewater. That's not a good thing. Yeah, Teddy looks great against second stringers running a vanilla defense. But that style of play isn't going to move the chains once the regular season starts. I'm sorry, it's just not. I love his pocket presence. But defenses are gonna jump all over those short routes and suffocate our run game once we're playing for real. There's zero chance we average more than 18-20 points per game with him, and that's not gonna be enough.

I'm seeing a lot of breakdowns on our offensive line over the last 2 games that are going to cause a serious problem if they don't fix that before the regular season starts, regardless of who our QB is. 

Defense looks as sharp as advertised. It isn't going to be an all-time D like we had in 2015. But I'm guessing it will def be a top 8 unit.

Lock did the same thing

Yeah. The media cheerleaders and thus a large chuck of the fan base are going to go crazy since we looked good in 3 preseason games but I’m going to take a lot more convincing.

A few CBs, a healthy Von and a check down QB (and Teddy will be the starter) isn’t going to be enough to take a 5-11 team to 12-5. I know some here think Teddy is going to be an All-Pro but I’m going to remain skeptical until I see otherwise. 

What’s most likely is we will meander our way to a .500ish record, enter next year without a long-term answer at QB, a late teens/early 20s draft pick, a new owner and some rookie “hot coordinator” type at HC. In other words, NFL purgatory. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. The media cheerleaders and thus a large chuck of the fan base are going to go crazy since we looked good in 3 preseason games but I’m going to take a lot more convincing.

A few CBs, a healthy Von and a check down QB (and Teddy will be the starter) isn’t going to be enough to take a 5-11 team to 12-5. I know some here think Teddy is going to be an All-Pro but I’m going to remain skeptical until I see otherwise. 

What’s most likely is we will meander our way to a .500ish record, enter next year without a long-term answer at QB, a late teens/early 20s draft pick, a new owner and some rookie “hot coordinator” type at HC. In other words, NFL purgatory. 

lmao.  The bold is bang on as this is where we've been for some time.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this team needs a qb and needs one badly.  Will our guy (qb) fall to us in the late teens next year or is it a moot point as this organization may be just to scared to make another mistake at that position and draft something else?

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Who thinks Teddy is going to be an All-Pro? What? I think just about everyone here expects Denver to be a ~.500 team or so with a new QB/Coach next season...

It's incredible to watch the twitter universe meltdown because Lock played well last week, and when Teddy played well this week, every excuse in the book came out about it.

They are two very different QBs, but the results are likely to be the same regardless of who plays QB. I think the offense (granted, it's preseason), has been better through these two games than I would have expected. Looking at it through that lens, I'm more optimistic that maybe we'll be at least competitive in games.

So I know people are happy of teddy performance, but can we actually look into it. He was not great on 3rd down. Converted what? 3 4th down conversions? If this was the regular season it would of been a punt and field goal not 2 tds? As well as once again every pass but what 1 or 2 was dump offs.  Lock didn’t play so hot this game but can we not crown teddy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

It's incredible to watch the twitter universe meltdown because Lock played well last week, and when Teddy played well this week, every excuse in the book came out about it.

They are two very different QBs, but the results are likely to be the same regardless of who plays QB. I think the offense (granted, it's preseason), has been better through these two games than I would have expected. Looking at it through that lens, I'm more optimistic that maybe we'll be at least competitive in games.

I just hope people can get behind Teddy if he wins the job. But we know it’s just gonna be the same ol QB controversy taking all the conversation. 

I just want the best product on the field at this point. If they think Teddy is better, let’s roll. From a fans standpoint- obviously you hope the young guy with “potential” wins the job. Probably not gonna win the SB. Get the younger guy out there that could be the guy. But so it goes, if Teddy is better let’s roll with it 

• Like 1

Drew continues to look like Broncos Joe Flacco who can scramble a little. I know some of those plays last night were due to the O Line, but the majority of them were Lock getting shutdown by 2nd and 3rd stringers. Makes me want to puke

Meanwhile at least Teddy continues to be steady and even if he does only focus on some of the short throws, imagine the season Fant and Albert O will have along with our run game. Teddy has shown he can make some pretty good mid/long range throws as well and ACTUALLY performs consistently against these other teams trash players. 

Ironic isn't it that after 5 years, we still have a slightly better Broncos Flacco and Keenum? I love sertain but it was truly a joke not drafting Fields

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It’s hard to say what we’ve really learned from Drew and Teddy’s starts. Really sucks that the majority of coaches don’t want to play starters at all. 

Realistically, at this point I think the only thing we can take from the preseason so far is we seem to have a deep roster. Our 2nd teamers are thrashing other teams 2nd teamers.

• Like 1

Just now, AKRNA said:

Realistically, at this point I think the only thing we can take from the preseason so far is we seem to have a deep roster. Our 2nd teamers are thrashing other teams 2nd teamers.

Defensively it’s very evident there are 15-20 real NFL players out there. That group is going to be elite if it can stay reasonably healthy. Offensively, I thought the OL depth got exposed a bit last night. Couldn’t run the ball well after the starters came out and a lot more pressure on the QBs. Muti, Anderson and Massie had some really ugly plays in pass pro.