2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Chet really seems to be putting it all together after the slower start.  Partially a level of competition thing but he is doing some impressive things.  89% at the rim and 45% from three, the only player since 2008 to be over 80/40.  Has the 4th highest BPM all time for an underclassman.  I know his size is still a concern but will be very interesting to see what he weighs in at at the combine/workouts and what his athleticism numbers look like.  I feel like he is faster and more agile than he looks, it just looks odd from a tall lanky guy.  I think he will be a stud in the league and leaning towards hoping the Pistons can land him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Chet really seems to be putting it all together after the slower start.  Partially a level of competition thing but he is doing some impressive things.  89% at the rim and 45% from three, the only player since 2008 to be over 80/40.  Has the 4th highest BPM all time for an underclassman.  I know his size is still a concern but will be very interesting to see what he weighs in at at the combine/workouts and what his athleticism numbers look like.  I feel like he is faster and more agile than he looks, it just looks odd from a tall lanky guy.  I think he will be a stud in the league and leaning towards hoping the Pistons can land him.  

i was pretty close to being fully out on chet a couple months ago but right now i think he'd be my top pick. i'm not 100% convinced on his shooting and it's tbd if he can be a lob threat against guys his size but i'm completely sold on him as a weakside rim protector. he doesn't solve the pistons shot creation issues but it's not like that can't be addressed in free agency

i love the idea of jabari but he's kind of like the version of ben simmons that refuses to dribble instead of shoot

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

i was pretty close to being fully out on chet a couple months ago but right now i think he'd be my top pick. i'm not 100% convinced on his shooting and it's tbd if he can be a lob threat against guys his size but i'm completely sold on him as a weakside rim protector. he doesn't solve the pistons shot creation issues but it's not like that can't be addressed in free agency

i love the idea of jabari but he's kind of like the version of ben simmons that refuses to dribble instead of shoot

My big concern for Chet is durability.  Tall lanky guys get beat up playing down low.  If he shows enough athleticism to be more of a 4, there is a better chance he pans out.  

The shooting doesn't concern me.  I think obviously its harder to score down low in the NBA but he is instinctive, especially on rebounding and put backs which should keep his at the rim percentage high.  His outside shot has always been pretty decent, so it doesn't shock me that its coming together.  His weight is really the only concern I have and I still have hope he can bulk up enough to hold his own. 

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Im seeing some Jaden Ivey top 3 talk over Banchero.  I can see it.  It's not a knock on Banchero because Ivey has been killing it for Purdue.  

I think I would take Griffin over Ivey but I think both will be solid.  It’s a pretty strong draft at the top.  A lot of guys that could have big impacts early.  

I think for now Jabari is #1 no matter who is picking. Continues to show what an impressive offensive arsenal he possesses to go with that prototypical frame and pretty good athleticism. That 43% clip from 3 is outrageous to me considering his volume (5+ attempts per game) and competition level. Such an effortless stroke with a nice and high release point. He is a swiss army knife defender that every NBA team wants and is a high IQ defender at 18. Chet's been looking better every week too (granted against WCC competition), but he is truly a unicorn in that we haven't seen anything like him, which means there will always be uncertainty with how he plays and fits into the NBA. With Jabari it is very easy to see just how he fits in the NBA.

I am beginning to love this draft class. Initially seemed weak on guards but you have 3 sophomores Ivey, Johnny Davis and Mathurin emerging as lotto guys and now you probably throw in Shaedon Sharpe too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think for now Jabari is #1 no matter who is picking. Continues to show what an impressive offensive arsenal he possesses to go with that prototypical frame and pretty good athleticism.

i know he's super young and in an ideal world he develops his handle and becomes a legit or at least a serviceable creator off the dribble but almost his whole game right now is just being able to shoot over his defenders. he doesn't really create space either with his jab step or the one dribble he likes to take sometimes. who knows if that's a transferrable skill when he's being guarded by guys who have the size to contest

if he's not knocking down his jumpers, then you're almost getting nothing from him offensively. we're kind of at the point where it feels like he's not even looking to drive. he's taking like 15% of his shots at the rim. people get on paolo for not being physical enough and settling for jumpers too often but he's at 42%

i had this idea earlier in the season of him being like a bigger mikal bridges but he's nowhere near as fluid (somewhat understandably) and his size isn't as much of an advantage if he's not at least threatening to use his length to get by guys and finish

Chet will need to have monster tournament against better competition to secure that number 1 spot. You can see him working on aspects of his game throughout his conference play, and that's good, but he'll need to prove it against other future NBA guys. I've had limited looks at Jabari, but I've seen Chet attack the rim 1 on 1 more than him.

Banchero's outside shot is worrying some. Won't be as easy to score inside in the NBA.

Griffin is still inconsistent, to be expected with as young as he is and the time he's missed with injuries (also a concern), but when he's on, he looks like a future MVP.

I've only seen Ivey twice, and one of those was Purdue getting blown out, but you see what everyone gushes about.  Still not sure I take him over the previous 4, but he may have the least amount of questions vs those 4.

Chet (size/durability)

Banchero (outside shooting)

Griffin (injuries/inconsistency)

Jabari (shot creation)

I know almost nothing about Sharpe, so I won't comment on him 

• Like 4

On 2/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, catcheryea said:

i know he's super young and in an ideal world he develops his handle and becomes a legit or at least a serviceable creator off the dribble but almost his whole game right now is just being able to shoot over his defenders. he doesn't really create space either with his jab step or the one dribble he likes to take sometimes. who knows if that's a transferrable skill when he's being guarded by guys who have the size to contest

if he's not knocking down his jumpers, then you're almost getting nothing from him offensively. we're kind of at the point where it feels like he's not even looking to drive. he's taking like 15% of his shots at the rim. people get on paolo for not being physical enough and settling for jumpers too often but he's at 42%

i had this idea earlier in the season of him being like a bigger mikal bridges but he's nowhere near as fluid (somewhat understandably) and his size isn't as much of an advantage if he's not at least threatening to use his length to get by guys and finish

I think that's the expectation with anyone taking him seriously as a top tier prospect (although you could still have yourself a VERY nice piece if he just ends up a 6'10 3&Der). Gets some handles, some muscle, and can be a threat to score at all levels. The shot is what will set everything up though, the threat of him pulling up anywhere will give him opportunities to blow by. He just has to learn how to torment Ds as much as actually work on the skill of putting it on the floor.

So much of his scoring coming from shots over defenders is both a pro and a con. A con in that he's failing to create space like you said, sure, but he's showing he can do something that you love to see and with his length and release point I think it will transfer fine to the NBA. 

3 hours ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

Johnny Davis ?

I think he will be a good player but not a top 6/7 player like a lot of draft sites have him now.  I think his outside shot being iffy means he will be a Derozan type player at the next level.  He is a really good defender and rebounder for his height so he will definitely have value but I don't think he is a star in the league.  

• Like 1

The thing to like about Davis, though, is that his personal game rises as the team games do. The only big time game that he didn't show up for was Ohio State IIRC. A player with that type of mentality is incredibly nice to have. 

The only guard I'm possibly taking over him is Ivey and that's purely based on tools. Well, Griffin too, if you label him as a SG/SF type wing, even though I think he's a pure 3.