Around The League Discussion

TitanLegend

I was listening to Rich Eisen earlier and they brought up an interesting point that will relevant to every franchise soon enough. The Deshaun Watson guaranteed deal is likely to become the new standard for QB deals. And it brings up an interesting conundrum. While all NFL owners are billionaires, that doesn’t necessarily mean have, or are willing to liquidate the amount of capital it would take to make these deals happen. Not every onwer has that type of liquid cash on hand. For example, the Adams are liquidating some of their assets now to have cash for their portion of the new stadium.

the case study will be Joe Burrow, who will most definitely ask for a quarter billion dollars guaranteed on the low end, particularly if the Bengals are good again. Will notoriously stingy Bengals owner Mike Brown be willing to cut that check between 250-300 million?  Will the Spanos do it for Herbert? Remember that money has to be put in escrow immediately, and that number will keep going up. Will we see more elite young QBs follow the Kirk Cousins route where they play out the rookie deal, two tags, then inevitably sign with the handful of owners who are willing/able to guarantee upwards of a quarter billion dollars? Could this be Lamar’s endgame?

At its most extreme, it could create one of the worst issues baseball has. The fact that only a handful of big market/ high profit teams can/are willing to pay elite talent, leading to all the elite talent getting stacked on 3-4 and a loss of parity. Curious to see how this goes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I was listening to Rich Eisen earlier and they brought up an interesting point that will relevant to every franchise soon enough. The Deshaun Watson guaranteed deal is likely to become the new standard for QB deals. And it brings up an interesting conundrum. While all NFL owners are billionaires, that doesn’t necessarily mean have, or are willing to liquidate the amount of capital it would take to make these deals happen. Not every onwer has that type of liquid cash on hand. For example, the Adams are liquidating some of their assets now to have cash for their portion of the new stadium.

the case study will be Joe Burrow, who will most definitely ask for a quarter billion dollars guaranteed on the low end, particularly if the Bengals are good again. Will notoriously stingy Bengals owner Mike Brown be willing to cut that check between 250-300 million?  Will the Spanos do it for Herbert? Remember that money has to be put in escrow immediately, and that number will keep going up. Will we see more elite young QBs follow the Kirk Cousins route where they play out the rookie deal, two tags, then inevitably sign with the handful of owners who are willing/able to guarantee upwards of a quarter billion dollars? Could this be Lamar’s endgame?

At its most extreme, it could create one of the worst issues baseball has. The fact that only a handful of big market/ high profit teams can/are willing to pay elite talent, leading to all the elite talent getting stacked on 3-4 and a loss of parity. Curious to see how this goes. 

Could be heading to another labor dispute because I can see owners trying to wrangle in the salaries and do something to make it where they can protect their pockets more.

Like you said, every owner doesn't have the money to just be writing checks like that. Or Maybe they put in a QB salary cap?
But I can see some kind of dispute happening. 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Could be heading to another labor dispute because I can see owners trying to wrangle in the salaries and do something to make it where they can protect their pockets more.

Like you said, every owner doesn't have the money to just be writing checks like that. Or Maybe they put in a QB salary cap?
But I can see some kind of dispute happening. 

Yeah.  Most owners either don't have the money to get around the cap by writing big checks, or don't want to.  If a few abuse it, then the league will cap the practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I think deebo ends up a chief, eagle,or packer. All have the draft capital to make something happen. Or the jets so they’re fans will leave AJ alone lol . Then the 9ers can draft Christian Watson to reunite with Lance. Lol

Edited by 615finest

5 minutes ago, 615finest said:

I think deebo ends up a chief, eagle,or packer. All have the draft capital to make something happen. Or the jets so they’re fans will leave AJ alone lol . Then the 9ers can draft Christian Watson to reunite with Lance. Lol

He is going to be a Colt.  
Hate to say it, but that's where he is going. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

He is going to be a Colt.  
Hate to say it, but that's where he is going. 

I'd be shocked if they don't offer a package for him, but them lacking a first round pick this year would seriously hurt their chances. Pretty much every other team is going to be able to offer a first this year + more.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'd be shocked if they don't offer a package for him, but them lacking a first round pick this year would seriously hurt their chances. Pretty much every other team is going to be able to offer a first this year + more.

True. 
2nd & 4th this year and next year's 1st?