Will Baker Mayfield cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?

WizeGuy

Will Baker cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

Baker isn’t asked to do half of what Lamar does in their offences right now. Bakers job is to not screw it up and hit guys who have been schemed wide open thanks to Stefanski’s excellent play design. I feel safe in thinking the Browns offence would maintain a consistent beat if Case Keenum were to get consistent play time for whatever reason, as he was at his best under Stefanskis offence in Minnesota. On the flip side, Lamar IS the Baltimore Ravens franchise at the moment, and he is the scheme in that his talent is so spectacular that we have no course of action other than to put the offence on his back. 

forcing Lamar into every QB discussion is a snooze fest that I can’t wait for FF to get over. Baker is expected to be a game manager, Lamar is expected to be a game breaker. Much different roles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Baker isn’t asked to do half of what Lamar does in their offences right now. Bakers job is to not screw it up and hit guys who have been schemed wide open thanks to Stefanski’s excellent play design. I feel safe in thinking the Browns offence would maintain a consistent beat if Case Keenum were to get consistent play time for whatever reason, as he was at his best under Stefanskis offence in Minnesota. On the flip side, Lamar IS the Baltimore Ravens franchise at the moment, and he is the scheme in that his talent is so spectacular that we have no course of action other than to put the offence on his back. 

forcing Lamar into every QB discussion is a snooze fest that I can’t wait for FF to get over. Baker is expected to be a game manager, Lamar is expected to be a game breaker. Much different roles.

Sounds like you're describing Lamar more so than Baker.

18 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Sounds like you're describing Lamar more so than Baker.

Yeah Lamar’s been great under Stefanski and of course, the noted extraordinary greatness of Greg Roman in the passing game /s.

guys get open on the Ravens because his legs strike fear into the hearts of a defensive back. Again, Lamar is what makes the Ravens offence tick. Baker is hitting lay ups to wide open guys because the play is well designed and called at an opportune time, usually due to the defence overplaying the Browns elite backfield.

context matters.

i don’t think Baker is a bad QB by any means but he’s definitely not the source of what makes the Browns offence move. Lamar is that driving force for the Ravens.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

14 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Yeah Lamar’s been great under Stefanski and of course, the noted extraordinary greatness of Greg Roman in the passing game /s.

guys get open on the Ravens because his legs strike fear into the hearts of a defensive back. Again, Lamar is what makes the Ravens offence tick. Baker is hitting lay ups to wide open guys because the play is well designed and called at an opportune time, usually due to the defence overplaying the Browns elite backfield.

context matters.

i don’t think Baker is a bad QB by any means but he’s definitely not the source of what makes the Browns offence move. Lamar is that driving force for the Ravens.

Baker makes plenty of throws that have to be right on the money. If you don't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

No doubt that the threat of Lamar running opens things up for his receivers. But the point is he does make plenty of throws to wide open receivers, so it's weird that you would criticize Baker for throwing to wide open receivers as well.

Glad we can agree that Stefanski designs some great plays though. Plus he's dreamy.

25 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

context matters.

lol if Baker and Lamar were throwing footballs through a tire swing 35 yards away, who do you think would put more through?

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

lol if Baker and Lamar were throwing footballs through a tire swing 35 yards away, who do you think would put more through?

If the other team knew the opposing QB was going to throw it, who do you think would have more success?

Hint: it's Lamar. By a long shot. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Yeah idk, seems like Baker isn't all that when teams know he has to drop back and throw it. Almost like the threat of Chubb/Hunt help Baker more than other QBs' run games help them out...

I'm actually surprised he is that high considering he played in the Kitchens/Monken offense with Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard starting at tackle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Baker makes plenty of throws that have to be right on the money. If you don't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

No doubt that the threat of Lamar running opens things up for his receivers. But the point is he does make plenty of throws to wide open receivers, so it's weird that you would criticize Baker for throwing to wide open receivers as well.

Glad we can agree that Stefanski designs some great plays though. Plus he's dreamy.

Obviously Baker does have to make a good throw from time to time, he’s a starting NFL QB. I just mean I’m personally not wowed by his completion percentage or what he’s doing after 2 games because I think we’re at the stage of the season where it’s all about game script and play design. for me I’m a big time Stefanski believer (though I don’t love it as an AFc North fan). The Browns play design and calling has been great the last two years and that’s on Stefanski. I just don’t necessarily see Baker as the engine driving that offence while Lamar is relied upon to be the workhorse running back, Efficient Quarterback, and decoy for the other runners, under an OC who has been run out of town using this offence with other QBs. 

4 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

well if that was what made a good QB then uncle Rico with a beer in his hand would be in the hall of fame by now.

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

If the other team knew the opposing QB was going to throw it, who do you think would have more success?

Hint: it's Lamar. By a long shot. 🤷‍♂️

The opposing team doesn't know Lamar Jackson is going to throw it ever, that's why he's good.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1