Will Baker Mayfield cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?

WizeGuy

Will Baker cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

2 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

The opposing team doesn't know Lamar Jackson is going to throw it ever, that's why he's good.

So, his natural talents make him more successful, and more productive, on the football field - including when he has to throw it.

Agreed.

You can have the tire swing guy, though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah idk, seems like Baker isn't all that when teams know he has to drop back and throw it. Almost like the threat of Chubb/Hunt help Baker more than other QBs' run games help them out...

Terribly designed graph. 

The author himself had to issue a clarification that "dropbacks" included scrambles and sacks. 

Essentially, a QB could take a drop back on 3rd and 40, run around, get a 1 yard scramble once outside of the pocket, and it logs as a "success" point. 

Cherry picking at the absolute finest. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

You guys are seriously undervaluing how good Baker's handoffs are and I'm not even trying to be facetious here, watch some tape.

They'd rather look the other way

Question, do you think Lamar would have a chance in the NFL running a conventional offense if he didn't have Greg Roman? or better yet, would he be able to run Sefanski's offense that requires you to know pre snap reads and go through progressions? Yikes...

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

Question, do you think Lamar would have a chance in the NFL running a conventional offense if he didn't have Greg Roman? or better yet, would he be able to run Sefanski's offense that requires you to know pre snap reads? Yikes...

It’s hard to fault Lamar for running an offense that was tailored to his strengths and weaknesses well.  That’s what coaches are expected to do, and exactly what Stefanski has done for Baker.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Question, do you think Lamar would have a chance in the NFL running a conventional offense if he didn't have Greg Roman? or better yet, would he be able to run Sefanski's offense that requires you to know pre snap reads? Yikes...

Would Baker be able to run Greg Roman’s offence, and produce the most Productive running attack In NFL history? Silly argument. Flip their situations and Lamar outperforms Baker so bad it’s so hilarious to picture I kind of wish we could.

it’s almost as if you tailor your offence to your QBs strengths….

(and yes Lamar would be fine in Stefanskis offence, as most starting QBs would be with Chubb and Hunt and an elite offensive line and play sling/design)

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s hard to fault Lamar for running an offense that was tailored to his strengths and weaknesses well.  That’s what coaches are expected to do, and exactly what Stefanski has done for Baker.

Yeah in all seriousness and with divisional hatred aside both QBs run their respective offenses very well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Obviously Baker does have to make a good throw from time to time, he’s a starting NFL QB. I just mean I’m personally not wowed by his completion percentage or what he’s doing after 2 games because I think we’re at the stage of the season where it’s all about game script and play design. for me I’m a big time Stefanski believer (though I don’t love it as an AFc North fan). The Browns play design and calling has been great the last two years and that’s on Stefanski. I just don’t necessarily see Baker as the engine driving that offence while Lamar is relied upon to be the workhorse running back, Efficient Quarterback, and decoy for the other runners, under an OC who has been run out of town using this offence with other QBs. 

well if that was what made a good QB then uncle Rico with a beer in his hand would be in the hall of fame by now.

I'm not putting much stock into it either, so agreed. Only reason I'd say it's at all impressive is because he hasn't been dinking and dunking the ball and his CMP% is still high. But again, it's only been two games.

CMP% isn't a huge stat for me personally anyway because it often lacks context.

1 minute ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Would Baker be able to run Greg Roman’s offence, and produce the most Productive running attack In NFL history?

it’s almost as if you tailor your offence to your QBs strengths….

(and yes Lamar would be fine in Stefanskis offence).

If you hadn't noticed, the Browns have a pretty dang good running game ourselves. And I highly doubt he could be "fine" in Stefanski's offense especially as a passer, that is wishful thinking 

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Terribly designed graph. 

The author himself had to issue a clarification that "dropbacks" included scrambles and sacks. 

Essentially, a QB could take a drop back on 3rd and 40, run around, get a 1 yard scramble once outside of the pocket, and it logs as a "success" point. 

Cherry picking at the absolute finest. 

Uh, no?

EPA isnt a singular success point dude lol. It's expected points added during a given play. A 1 yard run on 3rd and 40 would not correlate to a good EPA.

What are you talking about?

• Like 1