Week 1 GDT - Detroit Lions vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, mw2noobbuster said:

It's kind of hard to keep excited about the season when all your best players keep falling and nothing ever changes. 

The only backbreaker is Verrett, but he has an injury history and it was always a risk to rely on him so much. 

Mitchell fits in perfectly for Mostert and the rest of the injuries are relatively minor 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

With Mostert out probably for a while, i wonder if Sermon will be active/featured next week. And if Sermon is active, i wonder if we'll utilize some zone-read plays with Lance to feature them both 

Its a little surprising to me that he was a healthy scratch considering that he was playing in the 1st/2nd quarter of preseason games while Hasty was featured in the 4th. He seemed to be clearly ahead of him on the depth chart until this week and he wasn't particularly bad either. So i wonder if deactivating him is a disciplinary measure

Its a little frustrating that we invest mid round picks and FA dollars on Joe Williams, Jerick McKinnon Tevin Coleman & Trey Sermon (still TBD though) when late round picks & UDFA's like Matt Breida, Jeff Wilson, JaMychal Hasty & Elijah Mitchell are far more productive/better value

I think with Sermon a big part is they drafted him to work with Lance. With Jimmy you want your RB's threatening the edge which i where all three others are just more suited. When you have Lance he can threaten that edge opening up the middle more for Sermon. Besides that both Mitchell and Hardy play more ST's than Sermon which for your 2nd and 3rd RB is needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Seems very bad 

Welcome to the staff, Coach Mostert!

(yes, this isn't good. But Raheem seems to be a very positive person. If his playing career is compromised, I know he'll make the best of whatever's ahead of him)

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Such a shame he gets injured so often because a healthy Mostert is a different breed. He goes 0-100 so quick and then still has an extra gear.

I honestly thought he was going to be the best a Shanahan running scheme would ever produce, this year. He doesn't even get touched most of the time. My prediction of a thousand yards before contact won't pan out, I think.

13 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm looking at the snap breakdowns on PFF and boy does the NFL know that Ambry Thomas is not ready.

Thomas played a total of 9 snaps on defense, he was targeted 3 times and gave up 3 catches for 44 yards. 

Lenoir played 90 snaps total, 69 in coverage and was also targeted 3 times and gave up 1 catch for 3 yards. 

I think I should preface this with saying that Thomas came in during what was supposed to be "garbage time" and we played a lot of soft, prevent coverage so a lot of the completions in the 4th Q may not have been completions if we were, you know, playing real defense. 

The bolded is extremely important context. Thomas was good in the preseason and didnt get targeted a lot. Its good he got his feet wet but I wont look too much into the statistical results considering the situation in the game. 

I am sure he will get a look in the coming weeks. We will absolutely need him to step up and be better, but this game was no reason to be discouraged.  

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

A source said the 49ers also inquired about a potential trade for second-year Vikings cornerback Cameron Dantzler, who was a healthy scratch in Minnesota’s season opener at Cincinnati. The team is also maintaining an open dialogue with Richard Sherman, who remains unsigned.

Glad they realize they have a massive problem. 

• Like 1