Week 2 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just watched eagles falcons week 1. I will start with their defense and do their offense tomorrow because there is a lot to talk about there. 

- The Eagles played the wide 9 last year. They started off the game in a 3-4 with Barnett and Graham as their OLBs. They mixed that with the "seattle hybrid" front with a SAM backer a few plays later. Later in the drive they ran a more tradtional 4-3 front which was what they ran for the majority of the game. This front versatility gave ATL some problems.

There were times the eagles lined up with 5 guys on the LOS, 5 guys lined up near the sticks, and then one S very deep. They brought all 5 DLman and had the 5 guys behind them run a zone. They did this on third down a few times. Basically they wanted to force 1v1 matchups with their DL and then flood the area where they knew the falcons were going to be trying to run their routes (near the line to gain). Their defenders were not great at dropping into their zones properly nor did it seem like they would flow to the ball all that well. I hate throwing the ball short of the sticks on third down but I would love to leave a DE unblocked and run a bubble screen towards the sideline on third down if we see this alignment. Give me TW or McG out on the edge with Kittle and/or Juice blocking with the ball in Deebos hands all day long and twice on sunday. 

Eagles DL was very aggressive in trying to get up field, even on rushing downs they fired off the ball. Falcons had a lot of success on the ground (surprisingly so) and I feel like this is exactly why the ZBS was invented. It lets your OL use the DLs momentum against them and you can create some creases that dont necessarily have a designed gap. Thats the brilliance of it. There were some huge creases and even though Cordell Patterson (yes, he is falcons RB2) did a good job of hitting the hole with speed moving downhill, I feel like there were still yards left on the field on the ground for the falcons. This brings up an interesting point to me about Sermon. @Forge do you know what sort of blocking scheme they use at tOSU? @Chrissooner49er what about at Oklahoma? If Sermon did not run behind an OL that used the ZBS then its very possible he is struggling because he has not figured out how to hit the hole in the way that Kyle draws it up. If there is one thing that drives Kyle nuts, its not executing a play as designed. He doesnt want people free styling. 

I was not impressed with the back end of the eagles defense. There were a lot of holes in their zones and the falcons put together some nice drives with short passes in said holes, but had issues punching the ball in the endzone. The falcons didnt really try and push the ball downfield, and it felt like it was because Ryan was under a lot of pressure on passing downs and the eagles were able to get pressure with 4/5 so they could commit more resources to covering receivers. Their passing offense only worked when ryan got the ball out of his hands quick. Ryan never looked that comfortable though and I wonder how much he has in the tank. We absolutely need to keep JG clean and we can do it a few different ways (see below).

I think a huge key will be attacking their defense laterally on the edges. As stated I am not impressed with their LBs or secondary. I dont see any top end talents there outside of Slay. I think we are going to have a ton of success with jet sweeps and other quick hitting plays towards the edge. Let the ball get out ahead of the DL and then just get a hat on a hat and let the YAC BROs do their thing. Hit them with a bunch of quick passes early in the game and then as we establish our protections and figure out how their DL is trying to attack us, we can run some max protect and try and go deep. I think we should run a lot of boots off of the stretch zones/jet sweeps and move the pocket for JG. Make their DL move laterally and think about other things besides firing up field to rush the passer. Ryan got swallowed up from all sides more than once. Our OL is better than the falcons but we should still do things schematically to neutralize their rush. 

We really should have no problem establishing the run based on how well the falcons were able to create creases. I basically dont want to see a single pass without play action. This is a week where Juice can catch a huge wheel route out of the backfield. I think mitchell should be able to catch some passes as well, the flats should be wide open. We are really going to give their LBs nightmares with all of the eye candy we should have working this week. I feel like Kyle is the master of presnap motion that leads to post snap chaos where we can isolate a certain part of the field. 

Side note: Kyle Pitts isnt a TE. He is a WR. He lined up on the LOS in a three point stance only one time and he was the third guy on the end away from the T on a passing play on 4th and 1 where he basically pretended to go run a route and then just stood there to catch a pass that went 6 inches past the LOS. Hayden Hurst was used like a traditional TE, and looked damn good. I was expecting more out of Pitts - he didnt look like he was moving very fast and I dont think he was creating separation with his routes. They werent bad routes, they looked pretty smooth, but he didnt gain leverage on defenders while making his breaks if that makes any sense. I wont make too much out of a rookie debut but I didnt see anything that said "generational player" to me so far. He had an opportunity for a nice sideline catch early in the game but didnt bother trying to get his second foot down. Body language didnt seem like he was playing with a lot of juice but was kinda just going through the motions. Something to monitor moving forward. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Just watched eagles falcons week 1. I will start with their defense and do their offense tomorrow because there is a lot to talk about there. 

This brings up an interesting point to me about Sermon. @Forge do you know what sort of blocking scheme they use at tOSU? @Chrissooner49er what about at Oklahoma? If Sermon did not run behind an OL that used the ZBS then its very possible he is struggling because he has not figured out how to hit the hole in the way that Kyle draws it up. If there is one thing that drives Kyle nuts, its not executing a play as designed. He doesnt want people free styling. 

What I know about Sermon is his balance and ability to shift is amazing. He may not have the pure speed of Mitchell, but he isn't slow. His pass blocking was good at Oklahoma, but no, Lincoln Riley does not run a ZBS as far as I know--haven't studied it lately. However, Ohio St. does! He even said he watched our 9ers to prepare for the Buckeye's run scheme. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er

46 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

What I know about Sermon is his balance and ability to shift is amazing. He may not have the pure speed of Mitchell, but he isn't slow. His pass blocking was good at Oklahoma, but no, Lincoln Riley does not run a ZBS as far as I know--haven't studied it lately. However, Ohio St. does! He even said he watched our 9ers to prepare for the Buckeye's run scheme. 

Yeah I'm not a Buckeye fan, but I do remember during the draft that people were saying that Sermon is an excellent fit for us because of OSU using the outside zone scheme. The narrative that Sermon can only play with Lance is kind of BS to me. If what @N4L is saying is true about the Eagles and their lack of containment on the perimeter, then Sermon should get a lot of looks this weekend.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Do you guys think the team should practice some in artificial turf in the offseason to get ready for when they play games in the season? Would that potentially help preventing some injuries that we are seeing? 

I'd say stop drafting and signing injury prone players. Lol 

18 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I probably wouldn't play Kinlaw this week regardless if he practices tomorrow as well. 

Tomorrow is going to be a light day anyways, pretty much a walkthrough. If he is able to get on the field some today in team drills, then he should play. What is the point of holding him out? His knee issues aren't going to go away in a week. It's going to have to be managed. He can rest and then play next week and his knee can flare up again.

Moseley definitely seems like a no go this week...Come on up Josh! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Well great. 

Unreal, this is 2020 all over again. The problem isn't with Al-Shaair replacing Greenlaw, the issue is Flannagan-Fowles getting some time now and he's pretty bad. 

Hopefully the season is more like 2019 where the injuries suck, but they aren't to our best or most important players like Jimmy, Trent, Deebo, Bosa etc. 

Lost three starters in one game, pretty depressing.......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Unreal, this is 2020 all over again. The problem isn't with Al-Shaair replacing Greenlaw, the issue is Flannagan-Fowles getting some time now and he's pretty bad. 

Hopefully the season is more like 2019 where the injuries suck, but they aren't to our best or most important players like Jimmy, Trent, Deebo, Bosa etc. 

Lost three starters in one game, pretty depressing.......

DFF isn't horrible. He did have a bad game against the Lions, but we could do a lot worse.

Also, I really didn't want to have to bring back my injury return Google Sheet from last season. If we keep this up, it looks like I will have to.