Week 2 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

DFF isn't horrible. He did have a bad game against the Lions, but we could do a lot worse.

Also, I really didn't want to have to bring back my injury return Google Sheet from last season. If we keep this up, it looks like I will have to. 

He was really bad vs Detroit. If you don't think that is a true reflective of his actual play? Fair enough, but the LB positional group that was once a strength is no longer one. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He was really bad vs Detroit. If you don't think that is a true reflective of his actual play? Fair enough, but the LB positional group that was once a strength is no longer one. 

He's only had 78 total snaps on defense in his 2-year career so far, so yes, it's hard to say if this is really him, or if he had a bad game. Too soon to call, IMO. 

I think going off of last week's game, he definitely needs to clean up the tackling because he looked awful there and missed two huge would-be stops at or behind the LoS. 

Also, the fact that we have Hufanga on the roster and his ability to prowl the LoS like a dime LB helps to negate the depth issue. I think Huf will see more PT now going forward.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:13 AM, N4L said:

Just watched eagles falcons week 1. I will start with their defense and do their offense tomorrow because there is a lot to talk about there. 

TLDR: Eagles DL is fierce but ATL handled them just fine in the running game partly bc the ZBS seemed to use their aggressiveness against them. Eagles LBs and secondary (minus slay) are not anything to be worried about. The niners will get the ball out on the edge a lot to great success. Big week for jet sweeps. Juice wheel ftw. I think the gameplan will be to get the ball quickly to the edges while also getting the defense moving one direction so we can counter them to the otherside. Their LBs head's are going to be spinning. 

Eagles offense scares me a bit. They put so much pressure on the defense. They are basically running a spread with a lot of rpos and read options, which hurts does a very good job of executing. His ball fakes are very polished and its very hard for the defense to read it. They got their RBs into space with the ball. They did a very good job of getting the ball into their playmakers hands very quickly. All of their skill position players with the exception of their two TEs are extremely fast. You have to give their coaching staff credit, this really feels like an offense built around the players, and they seem very well coached overall. They didnt make many obvious mistakes last week. 

Option football requires very good gap discipline, which we really struggled with last week. I think we will learn a lot about ryans this week because its going to be very important to have good communication regarding assignment based, defensive football. So massive improvement in that area was required no matter who we were going to play this week, but especially against the eagles. So, if we do it properly, that will be a fantastic sign for Ryans future with us. 

Hurts made a lot of big plays on the edge with his legs. One thing I did notice was that when he ran to his left he usually tucked it but when he ran to his right he was looking to throw. I would like to bring pressure from the outside on his right side to force him to go left. 

They have a formula that we have struggled against. Mobile QB with speedy WRs. Goedert is a tough cover as well since hes such a massive human being. 

Their OL was being touted as a much improved unit this offseason and I agree. Kelce was hurt last year but looked like his old self, which is a top 3/4 C in all of football. They are a very physical OL paired with a ton of fast athletes on the outside. Lots of synergy with how their offense was assembled. 

Very important you tackle properly against a spread style team. We tackle well so I am not overly concerned about that. They attack all areas of the field so guys will often be 1v1 with an offensive player. Cant miss any tackles otherwise 8-10 yard gains turn into 20-30 yard gains.

Score prediction: 49ers 39, eagles 32 25

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:47 PM, Forge said:

Hasty's pass blocking was soooooooooo bad

You can say that again. Ooof. 

He is a very skilled player, but I was questioning if he was too small to play in the NFL. It does look like he added some weight this offseason, and he really did play well in the preseason, but pass protection for smaller RBs can be a challenge. He did look good catching passes though, so maybe we just need to have him leak out of the backfield to try and draw defenders out/catch easy dump offs if they dont follow him. 

Given how bad hasty was at this, pass blocking is one way that Sermon can get back on the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

49ers win 30-13. 

I like it! The team will need to get to a fast start and will need to stop the run better. If they do that? Then yeah, I can see it getting out of hand. 

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, too bad we didn't keep Jonas Griffith now that Greenlaw is hurt. 

Absolutely, I loved his instincts in the games he played and he has the size to be a thumper in the run game. Not happy at all with that trade. 

I was just looking at some score predictions, and I think BR had seven people predicting the game and all but one picked Philly. Looks like they are actually a popular pick among the writers.

Hoping Kinlaw is able to go today again and will be able to play at least 15 or so snaps. 

We're all expecting Norman to start if Moseley can't go, correct? 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was just looking at some score predictions, and I think BR had seven people predicting the game and all but one picked Philly. Looks like they are actually a popular pick among the writers.

Hoping Kinlaw is able to go today again and will be able to play at least 15 or so snaps. 

We're all expecting Norman to start if Moseley can't go, correct? 

Some of their stuff is pretty questionable imo. They had Rodgers as like the 15th best QB after his week one performance. I read it, but a lot of it I kind of just brush off because of how ridiculous it is. It’s certainly possible they beat us, but I’m definitely not taking the writers at BR word for it.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I like it! The team will need to get to a fast start and will need to stop the run better. If they do that? Then yeah, I can see it getting out of hand. 

Absolutely, I loved his instincts in the games he played and he has the size to be a thumper in the run game. Not happy at all with that trade. 

I thought Griffith's case, and I concluded that he was never going to go unclaimed if we wanted to keep him on our practice squad. So we got something for him. Flannigan-Fowles and and Harris had better claims to roster spots (in part because of special teams) so Griffith was simply the odd man out. 

20 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

He's only had 78 total snaps on defense in his 2-year career so far, so yes, it's hard to say if this is really him, or if he had a bad game. Too soon to call, IMO. 

I just err on the side of caution. A guy with 78 total defensive snaps in two years after being an undrafted free agent probably sucks lol