If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

The new interview rules say now, don't they? If you are going to.

Yes and no. The new rules allow for the opportunity to conduct interviews, but the rules also allow teams to deny interview requests. 

With every team still fighting for playoff positioning, it’s hard to imagine many teams granting the interview. 

Not to mention, while the odds are stacked against them, the team hasn’t been eliminated from playoff contention yet. You don’t just quit and raise the white flag. You don’t do that to the locker room. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes and no. The new rules allow for the opportunity to conduct interviews, but the rules also allow teams to deny interview requests. 

With every team still fighting for playoff positioning, it’s hard to imagine many teams granting the interview. 

Not to mention, while the odds are stacked against them, the team hasn’t been eliminated from playoff contention yet. You don’t just quit and raise the white flag. You don’t do that to the locker room. 

I can’t see us firing Zimmer with two games left, while mathematically still alive for the playoffs, the decision was made a while ago to just ride out the year with Zimmer for better or worse

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I can’t see us firing Zimmer with two games left, while mathematically still alive for the playoffs, the decision was made a while ago to just ride out the year with Zimmer for better or worse

Would seem more likely they’d just do it after the Green Bay game. At that point, we will likely know our fate. 

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would seem more likely they’d just do it after the Green Bay game. At that point, we will likely know our fate. 

There’s no one to take his place. Honestly, other than satisfying the mob’s frustration, there’s no reason to fire him in season. 

Mike Zimmer may not be the guy to lead this team beyond this year, but he deserves to finish out the season with his team. He deserves the respect and dignity to conduct the end of season meetings. 

Showing Zimmer some respect during the process of his removal not only shows class, but it’s a gesture that will be noted by the players in the locker room, and prospective coaches. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

as you all know, i don't post as much as i have in the past, but i read your views every day. i'm surprised no one in this thread has intimated at what i think is the most likely scenario for this coaching conundrum: Spielman orchestrates an agreed upon retirement for Zimmer.

Z can use many a reason to justify it and allow the team to move on. his health (his eye surgeries, his shaking hands), his personal life (wanting to live full time at his Kentucky ranch, concentrate on family, his hot new girlfriend), or take one for the team and say they're better off with a fresh perspective.

everyone wins. he gets to bow out gracefully, the players loyal to him can still be so, Spielman gets one more chance, the Wilfs don't look like heels.

so there's that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

as you all know, i don't post as much as i have in the past, but i read your views every day. i'm surprised no one in this thread has intimated at what i think is the most likely scenario for this coaching conundrum: Spielman orchestrates an agreed upon retirement for Zimmer.

Z can use many a reason to justify it and allow the team to move on. his health (his eye surgeries, his shaking hands), his personal life (wanting to live full time at his Kentucky ranch, concentrate on family, his hot new girlfriend), or take one for the team and say they're better off with a fresh perspective.

everyone wins. he gets to bow out gracefully, the players loyal to him can still be so, Spielman gets one more chance, the Wilfs don't look like heels.

so there's that.

It’s been mentioned off and on. Maybe not on this forum, but certainly amongst Vikings Twitter. 

And I just don’t see Zimmer doing it. Maybe I’m reading him wrong, but bowing out gracefully just doesn’t seem like his style. He seems like a man who’s going to go down swinging, so to speak. 

It’s certainly the way I’d prefer to see it go down. I like Zimmer, always have. He’s been dealt some poor hands as the Vikings HC and persevered through it. I just no longer think that he’s the guy to help them take the next step. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s been mentioned off and on. Maybe not on this forum, but certainly amongst Vikings Twitter. 

And I just don’t see Zimmer doing it. Maybe I’m reading him wrong, but bowing out gracefully just doesn’t seem like his style. He seems like a man who’s going to go down swinging, so to speak. 

It’s certainly the way I’d prefer to see it go down. I like Zimmer, always have. He’s been dealt some poor hands as the Vikings HC and persevered through it. I just no longer think that he’s the guy to help them take the next step. 

I always figured it would be a mutual parting if things didn't pan out this year. I think the Wilfs like him too much to ever truly fire him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

so there's that.

Yes, I agree this is how it will go ‘down’. Zimmer and the Vikings will spit ways amicably. Zimmer will ride off into the Kentucky sunset and the Wilf’s will hire a coach with a fresh perspective.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised to see Zimmer "retire."  I just don't see it in him to do so at this point.  The only way that happens is if he gets bumped to a "consultant" role and Spielman gets a promotion to another role as well, so no one gets fired, but they get a new perspective.  However, I don't see it in ZImmer to accept such a position.  

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

so there's that.

This would be the best situation. However, Zim stubbornness is the issue. Someone will have to convince him if want to HC again it's better for him to sit out next year get healthy. Then come back with the reason of healthiness or missed coaching.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:03 AM, vike daddy said:

so there's that.

That’s a good take, assuming that Spielman is safe. Has there been any chatter that he’s be looking to retire? Wonder if Zimmer would opt to just be a defensive coordinator elsewhere though his defense hasn’t been a bright spot and you know he’s still very focused on it.  

My preference is for them to be a packaged deal but Spielman may have reached untouchable status I fear, undeservingly. 

Edited by vikingsrule

34 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

This would be the best situation. However, Zim stubbornness is the issue. Someone will have to convince him if want to HC again it's better for him to sit out next year get healthy. Then come back with the reason of healthiness or missed coaching.

i don't think he would be a popular head coaching candidate for a team with a vacancy.

Andy Reid:  “I’m sure I’ll hear from people on that (new coaching inquiries of his staff) Eric Bieniemy, Steve Spagnuolo has been a head coach and could easily jump in somewhere too. I’ve hammered the point about Eric Bieniemy. I just think the world of the guy, and he’s tremendous. I would imagine there are other guys on the staff, so whatever happens, happens there, but I’m always pulling for guys. If they have an opportunity to be promoted, more power to them.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/28/andy-reid-anticipating-members-of-chiefs-staff-will-get-head-coaching-interview-requests/