EDGE rushers

lark25

2 hours ago, Techbert said:

What? Clamoring for more George Karlaftis?

Here is his RAS. 9.18 is plenty good, especially if his 3-cone was under 7.

Just rename the thread to Ozzy and friends talk George Karlaftis 

• Like 1

I see Karloftis having more of a Justin Smith type impact. Able to rush from the 5 tech, olb, and even as an inside rusher at times. That kind of versatility is priceless. What impressed me is his pass rush win rate, when he's the only defensive player in that Perdue front 7 you have to worry about. 

I've seen Boye Mafe mocked to the Chiefs at 29/30 a lot lately, so I watched some more tape.

I don't get it. I don't see anything special and his career numbers reflect that. The biggest positive that I took away was that he appears to play disciplined; didn't really over pursue, played within the scheme, didn't noticeably improvise, etc. A lot of his highlight plays were just against poor competition who made bad choices or whiffed on their block without Mafe making a move to cause it.

Someone sell me on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I've seen Boye Mafe mocked to the Chiefs at 29/30 a lot lately, so I watched some more tape.

I don't get it. I don't see anything special and his career numbers reflect that. The biggest positive that I took away was that he appears to play disciplined; didn't really over pursue, played within the scheme, didn't noticeably improvise, etc. A lot of his highlight plays were just against poor competition who made bad choices or whiffed on their block without Mafe making a move to cause it.

Someone sell me on him.

Ozzy likes him more than Karlaftis which i dont get but he's not bad. Decent play strength but relies on outside moves and his speed from what I can tell.

Explosive and fast I see some agility but don't think its elite. He will still cause fits for some nfl linemen but hes a grown man and freak athlete that relies on those things to beat up on bad tackles.

He does flash some good hand usage but not an elite technician. Also has 32 5/8 arms. I think guys like that need to be good technicians and or super agile to succeed.

I could be wrong but hes an early 2nd rounder that should be good but not elite im the league

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, SHONUFF said:

I see Karloftis having more of a Justin Smith type impact. Able to rush from the 5 tech, olb, and even as an inside rusher at times. That kind of versatility is priceless. What impressed me is his pass rush win rate, when he's the only defensive player in that Perdue front 7 you have to worry about. 

It might just be because I think Justin Smith might be the most underrated player of his generation, but I feel a lot more hesitant to compare Karlaftis to Justin Smith than I do comparing him to Chris Long or Michael Bennett. While his numbers don't fully show it, I think Smith was an absolute force and one of the best DEs of his time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It might just be because I think Justin Smith might be the most underrated player of his generation, but I feel a lot more hesitant to compare Karlaftis to Justin Smith than I do comparing him to Chris Long or Michael Bennett. While his numbers don't fully show it, I think Smith was an absolute force and one of the best DEs of his time.

In before arm length man yells but hes a trex that only had 32.5 arms.

But yeah agree, was an absolute force

7 hours ago, lark25 said:

Ozzy likes him more than Karlaftis which i dont get but he's not bad. Decent play strength but relies on outside moves and his speed from what I can tell.

Explosive and fast I see some agility but don't think its elite. He will still cause fits for some nfl linemen but hes a grown man and freak athlete that relies on those things to beat up on bad tackles.

He does flash some good hand usage but not an elite technician. Also has 32 5/8 arms. I think guys like that need to be good technicians and or super agile to succeed.

I could be wrong but hes an early 2nd rounder that should be good but not elite im the league

Only reason I have him over Karlaftis is I actually believe if asked to drop into coverage he is a good enough athlete in space to be able to do it as a 3/4 OLB.  Karlaftis I think would be horrible dropped into coverage thus for a 3/4 OLB team that is looking for a guy I think that would be a mistake if they plan on doing that with him.  Mafe is the better athlete of the two and is still pretty raw sure and maybe 1st round is a bit high for him.  Karlaftis just has an odd build and does not look great in space to me and that would be a mistake putting him there.  Ideally he would be on the line and rushing and that is all he would be doing, no coverage because he would be taken advantage of.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, SHONUFF said:

Good comparison and would be ideal position for George compared to some rangy 3/4 OLB which he is absolutely not.  However Justin Smith had 24 TFLs and 11 sacks his last year at Missouri and 8 sacks as a true SOPH and was the #4 pick overall and is heavier, stronger and a better athlete than George.  So he was proven and dominating and finish plays, George's best games outside of Iowa this past year were all mostly as a freshman.  

Also not sure Karlaftis could hold up against the run nearly as well as Justin Smith or be as consistent for such a long period of time.  Clearly at times George struggles against double teams, as if Justin Smith never got double teamed?  Name me another player on that Missouri DL, the dude was doubled and he was still wildly productive unlike Karlaftis.  But sure that would be the ideal if he develops into a player like that and gains what 15-20 pounds and somehow keeps and improves that athletic ability which would be tricky.  

Karlaftis was in a 2 point stance for many of his snaps.  When he lined up in the 7 tech( in the 2 point stance) and was rushing the passer he was very explosive and would often beat the OT.  I would point to the Purdue/Notre Dame game for an example.  

Could he do a role like TJ Watt?  Sure.  TJ does drop into coverage but most of the time he rushes the passer.  TJ has better lateral movement skills than Karlaftis.   So it is not out of the question that he could be an OLB in the 3/4. 

Edited by jebrick

10 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Someone sell me on him.

I don't get it either.  Seems like a lot more dreaming on potential for Mafe.

Thibs
Hutch
Karlaftis
Walker
Williams
Johnson
Ebiketie
Bonitto
Jackson
Ojabo
Mafe
Sanders
Enagbare
Thomas

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't get it either.  Seems like a lot more dreaming on potential for Mafe.

Thibs
Hutch
Karlaftis
Walker
Williams
Johnson
Ebiketie
Bonitto
Jackson
Ojabo
Mafe
Sanders
Enagbare
Thomas

I disagree with a lot of this in the middle, but yeah, I don’t see a lot to like with Enagbare. I know he got hyped during the Senior Bowl, and I went into his tape expecting good things, but they never materialized. Too slow, no show of good bend, nothing really.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I disagree with a lot of this in the middle, but yeah, I don’t see a lot to like with Enagbare. I know he got hyped during the Senior Bowl, and I went into his tape expecting good things, but they never materialized. Too slow, no show of good bend, nothing really.

There's going to be a ton of differences of opinion after the top two.  I'm not entirely sold on Travon Walker either.

• Like 1