The Mike Vrabel thread (+ coaching staff)

deeluxx3

Never going to move away from prehistoric football unless we move on from him. His defensive scheme sucks. SPT is constantly garbage despite spending millions on SPT players every year. Personnel usage is garbage. For years we’ve been using these big condensed plodding formations with the slowest WR we have being the only WR on the field. Not to mention the dumb active/inactive choices he has each week. Dude thinks he’s the smartest in the room when in reality, he isn’t ****.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Never going to move away from prehistoric football unless we move on from him. His defensive scheme sucks. SPT is constantly garbage despite spending millions on SPT players every year. Personnel usage is garbage. For years we’ve been using these big condensed plodding formations with the slowest WR we have being the only WR on the field. Not to mention the dumb active/inactive choices he has each week. Dude thinks he’s the smartest in the room when in reality, he isn’t ****.

In over his head 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

i don't love the idea of firing him this year but i also don't love the idea of keeping him. his offensive philosophy and conservatism are so outdated in the modern nfl that it's just depressing to watch. our team consistently plays stupid, consistently no-shows in the second half, and has had some of the same problems for years no matter who the coordinators and position coaches are- and far too many of those coordinators and position coaches are vastly underqualified and seem to only have jobs on the team because vrabel worked with them in houston. not to mention it's a simple fact that it's almost unprecedented for an nfl head coach to have two seasons as bad as this and ever right the ship with the same team. i want to believe vrabel can turn things around here but there's less and less for me to hold onto to believe that he will, and i just wonder whether it's better to rip the band-aid off at this point.

In over his head 

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

I’m starting to think Vrabel is the root of most of the problems.. the coaches are coaching Vrabels philosophy and how vrabel wants them to play. It’s no reason we’ve had as much change over as we have with the staff and we still are having the same problem. We hire a db coach that was in the running for DC position but yet our CBs are the same maybe even worse. We have a OC that has proven with the Texans he can call a decent offense. 

and his personnel usage over the years has really been questionable.

IDK I’m really starting to think vrabels style is the problem 

In over his head 

At this point I've lost faith in Vrabel. he is the common denominator to the majority of our problems. O line has been a problem. he's gone through draft picks, free agent signings, multiple coaches yet its still the same terrible play. CB has been a problem, we drafted and signed how many guys? We brought in a new coach and its still a problem. WR's have been a problem, we've brought in multiple players, changed coaches and its still a problem. Offensive Play calling and predictability (2nd and long runs) has been a problem, he's been through how many coordinators? Yep, It's still a problem. Special teams has been a problem, how many special teams specific signings have we made? still a problem. He's had a problem with roster management. still a problem. Hell today Philips was a healthy scratch so we could have Burks and Dowel up. Did either of them even play a meaningful snap?  

I understand talent isn't there. And I understand why some may want to give him another year with a competent GM who has so far been really good, at least with his first draft picks. But I'm just over this being used as an excuse for Vrabel. He has failed to fix problems year after year and at some point its has to be his fault. How many attempts should he get to fix the same issues?    

Edited by lovetitans

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I really don't care. That's sad. 

If he stays I won't be mad. If we wake up tomorrow and he's fired I won't be mad. 

For me it's whatever is best for Levis or whoever is playing QB.

That's where I am. 

I don't think we will ever play a satisfying brand of offensive football with Vrabel. Even when we had the top offense in the league it wasn't as satisfying because of being so run heavy and ugly. 

There is a way to be run heavy and still be pretty. Watch the Niners. 

Our biggest problem on offense the last 5 years is the inability to pass without play action.  When things were working with Henry and Tannehill, the majority of our passing production probably came out of play action, but when we drop back to pass it just looks so . . . unnatural. 

Am I the only one who sees that? Like, I don't understand what we're trying to do with our routes. And this has been a problem since Mularkey was here, I don't necessarily put this one all on Vrabel.

• Like 1

I am ready to move on from him even though I know he is a decent coach when he has the players.  just feel like the organization need an infusion of new blood...we hired Ran, now we need to take on an offensive HC to make us watchable. 

During his peak we had approx. 4-5 Pro Bowl, and 2-3 All pro caliber players...so it sorta makes sense we were pretty good. I am in the minority but I see it like Harbaugh said about Ryan Day...he was standing on 3rd base and everyone thought he hit a triple. He took a playoff team and made a nice run a little deeper(1 round deeper). 

The roster is admittedly much worse, which I personally blame on our caveman style. Are we going to attract any free agent talent at skill positions on either side of the ball when you know Vrabel wants a slugfest and only wants to pass the ball 15-20 times? All of the pressure being on the defense because if we get up 2 scores he legit takes the air out of the ball. He values special teams/blocking and tackling over WR separation!!! I would attribute these things to the decline in the roster. I know he didn't "want" to trade AJB, but he no doubt AJ would have forced a trade due to his lack of targets. 

Are we guaranteed to hire someone better, absolutely not. If we build the roster back to 4-6 pro bowlers will he lead us back to the playoffs...yeah...but which coaches with that type of roster are losing year in and year out. 

We need an infusion of offense in our organization to open the new building. If we continue with this current staff we will be trying to win games 17-16 and that doesn't move the needle in todays game, and we will be the only team with this great new building that still plays the 1 o'clock game 15 of 17 games. 

Edited by Dr.Doom52

here's the thing about the way we play offense and our entire philosophy under vrabel: the texans missed all these opportunities yet stroud still put up good numbers and they still won the game, because they actually have a drop back passing offense and throw the ball enough that a few missed opportunities don't come back to bite them. when will levis (or ryan tannehill, for that matter!) misses even one big throw like this it's all we can talk about and it often loses us the game because we are so staggeringly bad at creating opportunities for TDs, explosives, etc through the air that missing them hurts even more. now, is this partially a roster issue? of course. nobody can argue that our margin of error is nonexistent because of our crappy receivers and terrible OL. but we had this problem to a lesser degree even when we were good: that we simply did not have a drop back passing game, period. and when shane steichen and gardner minshew can create one but we can't, that is also a coaching issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

3 of 4 OC hires by Vrabel have been positive.

All 3 DC(or DC type, as Schwartz wasn't a coordinator but obviously had some input) hires have worked out too, though the first year of Bowen was as rough as it could get, but he's rebounded well.

Scheming has yet to be a serious issue for this team, outside of with Todd Downing.

At some point the criticisms for Vrabel actually have to start being about issues he has, right? "Too stubborn with depth chart changes" "Needs better coordinator hires" "Team isn't trying hard enough right now", just constantly wrong criticism.

There are things to criticize. His inconsistency when it comes to aggressiveness re: 4th downs, shot plays, etc. His tendency to take his foot off the gas after a decent lead opens up. What I'm assuming was his call to try and be competitive again this year rather than go full rebuild.

Instead it's just constant noise that makes no sense if you take more than 5 seconds to evaluate it.

So much of this fan base across the internet is so upset with losing that it seems to have lost any ability to actually evaluate issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

All 3 DC(or DC type, as Schwartz wasn't a coordinator but obviously had some input) hires have worked out too, though the first year of Bowen was as rough as it could get, but he's rebounded well.

Scheming has yet to be a serious issue for this team, outside of with Todd Downing.

At some point the criticisms for Vrabel actually have to start being about issues he has, right? "Too stubborn with depth chart changes" "Needs better coordinator hires" "Team isn't trying hard enough right now", just constantly wrong criticism.

There are things to criticize. His inconsistency when it comes to aggressiveness re: 4th downs, shot plays, etc. His tendency to take his foot off the gas after a decent lead opens up. What I'm assuming was his call to try and be competitive again this year rather than go full rebuild.

Instead it's just constant noise that makes no sense if you take more than 5 seconds to evaluate it.

So much of this fan base across the internet is so upset with losing that it seems to have lost any ability to actually evaluate issues.

I’m so done with explaining myself & going back N forth with my opinion & takes.
Let’s just agree to disagree, because everything you just said I’ve literally went in-depth & broke everything down as to why I said many times, he’s fisher 2.0 & guess what for the sake of everyone not wanting to see another repost thread or me saying I told you so, or me being told you like to hear yourself talk, & think you know it all,I’m let you have it. Silence is the best answer I’m learning. See now everything I been saying bout the guy is showing every Sunday, & I don’t say sh!t no more but enjoy reading y’all comments & repost. Feel how you feeI, I literally stated over & over the reason vrabel isn’t it, & that listed facts after facts & nobody agree with me, but every single post that went at me or said I was wrong y’all stood in the fire with them.. stay gold pony boy stay gold 

40 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Thank you.