Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

On 9/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, ET80 said:

Let's not pretend they're JUST missing Lawrence, though - Travis Etienne and Amari Rodgers were both huge contributors to this team last year.

Amari Rodgers isn't doing much for us so far this season...

58 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It certainly doesn't seem as though Lawrence has shown much in the way of improvement lately - should we write off this whole year? Does he even have a chance of developing as long as Meyer is in charge?

What do the Jags need to do to help Lawrence? 

Trevor is going to be just fine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It certainly doesn't seem as though Lawrence has shown much in the way of improvement lately - should we write off this whole year? Does he even have a chance of developing as long as Meyer is in charge?

They need to get him some decent weapons.  He is missing his #1 receiver (D.J. Chark), and his #1 running back (Travis Etienne).  The #2 running back (James Robinson) has been hobbled by injuries the last couple of weeks too, although he did play, and he missed a couple of games before that.  The remaining receivers aren't getting much separation, and they are also dropping a lot of passes.  Trevor is in a situation where pretty much any quarterback is going to have struggles. 

This team went 1-15 last year, and they are just not very good.  It's going to take a little while to rebuild and get some better players on the roster. 

As far as Trevor is concerned, I'm not worried about him.  He is doing about as well as can be expected under the circumstances.  He's going to be one of the league's great QBs in 2-3 years.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

he has actually improved, just doesn't show on the stat sheet yet. I think he will break through next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

They need to get him some decent weapons.  He is missing his #1 receiver (D.J. Chark), and his #1 running back (Travis Etienne).  The #2 running back (James Robinson) has been hobbled by injuries the last couple of weeks too, although he did play, and he missed a couple of games before that.  The remaining receivers aren't getting much separation, and they are also dropping a lot of passes.  Trevor is in a situation where pretty much any quarterback is going to have struggles. 

This team went 1-15 last year, and they are just not very good.  It's going to take a little while to rebuild and get some better players on the roster. 

As far as Trevor is concerned, I'm not worried about him.  He is doing about as well as can be expected under the circumstances.  He's going to be one of the league's great QBs in 2-3 years.

Travis Etienne was not the RB1.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Travis Etienne was not the RB1.

Maybe not technically, but Urban had big hopes for finding a lot of ways to get him involved in the offense.  His presence would be a definite help to Trevor.  Had he not gotten injured, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the #1 RB by now.  James Robinson is also a very good player, but Etienne is just a more dynamic athlete, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Maybe not technically, but Urban had big hopes for finding a lot of ways to get him involved in the offense.  His presence would be a definite help to Trevor.  Had he not gotten injured, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the #1 RB by now.  James Robinson is also a very good player, but Etienne is just a more dynamic athlete, IMO. 

They drafted him to play the “Percy” role and be deployed all over. He was not drafted to be a running back.

I also don’t see how you think he’d be RB1 by now even if you believed that he was drafted to be just that. James Robinson has been one of the most efficient rushers in football prior to the last couple weeks of injuries.

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

They drafted him to play the “Percy” role and be deployed all over. He was not drafted to be a running back.

I also don’t see how you think he’d be RB1 by now even if you believed that he was drafted to be just that. James Robinson has been one of the most efficient rushers in football prior to the last couple weeks of injuries.

RB1/RB2 is probably just a technicality.  There's no doubt that James would still be getting his share of carries either way. 

I agree with you on drafting him for the "Percy" role.  Probably a better way for me to have described it would have been to say that Etienne would have played a big role in helping Trevor to make this is a more dynamic offense than it currently is.  We took him with a first round pick, so we must have had some big plans for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I like how one of those highlights is Trevor throwing it about 5 feet over his receivers hands and out of bounds. 

Yeah, not sure I’d use that as an example in said highlight.

But still, those were from a single game. This is happening every week. He has had his rookie moments but his “box score issues” have more to do with what’s around him than Trevor himself. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Really not even remotely concerned about Lawrence at this juncture. 

I don't think Jags should be OVERLY concerned.... but at the same time, by all metrics this has to be far below the baseline expectation, let alone the actual hopes that the fans had going into this

He's not broken, and there's tons of time to turn it around by putting in more pieces around him.. But I don't think there's much of an argument for the Jags fans to be feeling GOOD about what's happened with him so far and where it's going.

• Like 1