Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That’s part of the NFL. Most teams have a couple impact guys out.

We lost a top 2 WR and our starting LG in the first quarter.

Yep.  I credit the offense for actually taking over a game for the first time this year, on a game where the defense didn't play well for the first time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

True, and don't get me wrong, Lawrence played well.  I'm certainly not worried about him long term.  I wouldn't trade Burrow for Lawrence, but I think at least 20 of the 32 teams would happily trade their guy for Lawrence right now.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Had a TE who has been on the team for 2 days. Been without ETN the entire season. Another WR and TE (who will hopefully eventually be WR3 and TE2 going forward) who haven’t gotten the playbook down enough to get impact snaps.

And it’s not like the weapons even when all together have shown to be particularly impressive. So it’s not like he was given some edge vs the defense. 

Lawrence had a number of extremely impressive throws and runs with a subpar cast vs a defense that’s been great, but is a bit beat up. It’s exactly what you want to see from your #1 pick in his 4th career start. I don’t think it needs to be contextualized any more than that.

• Like 1

Tlaw is the right pick. Urban is not. Holy cow he does not look poise at all. No energy and that is gonna trickle to the team. He has wayyyy too much anxiety this early. Man i used to want Urban as Chargers coach. So glad we didn't. 

I'm convinced these successful college coaches aren't built for the NFL.

7 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Tlaw is the right pick. Urban is not. Holy cow he does not look poise at all. No energy and that is gonna trickle to the team. He has wayyyy too much anxiety this early. Man i used to want Urban as Chargers coach. So glad we didn't. 

I'm convinced these successful college coaches aren't built for the NFL.

It’s only been 4 games and the team has gotten better every week.

We were getting our doors blown off last season. Nobody expected wins early on this season.

The progress they have made from week 1 to week 4 has been nice to see. We will be a difficult team to play down the stretch. The wins may not be there but you can tell they are close.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, DirtyDez said:

Half the teams in the league would trade their current QB for Trevor Lawrence including the teams with rookie QB’s (maybe NE keeps Mac).

I wouldn't dream of trading Trevor for Mac.  In fact, there isn't another QB in the league I'd trade Trevor for, outside of maybe Mahomes and Burrow.  Both of those guys are better right now, due to experience, but I have very little doubt that Trevor will be one of the league's elite QB's in 1-2 years.  I could end up being wrong, but I'm very happy to gamble on him.  As a prospect, he's about all you could ask for. 

Now if we can just keep Urban from going out and acting like a buffoon, we'll be looking good.  xD

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wouldn't dream of trading Trevor for Mac.  In fact, there isn't another QB in the league I'd trade Trevor for, outside of maybe Mahomes and Burrow.  Both of those guys are better right now, due to experience, but I have very little doubt that Trevor will be one of the league's elite QB's in 1-2 years.  I could end up being wrong, but I'm very happy to gamble on him.  As a prospect, he's about all you could ask for. 

Now if we can just keep Urban from going out and acting like a buffoon, we'll be looking good.  xD

There are at least 5 other QBs besides Mahomes I'd value higher than Burrow

10 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

There are at least 5 other QBs besides Mahomes I'd value higher than Burrow

If we're talking about right now, I would probably agree with you.  I was mainly talking about upside and potential for having a long career full of great play.  I also just think Burrow is a likeable person, so I gave him a little credit for that too.  You're right overall, though.  I agree.

I mentioned this before the MIA game in the Bets thread, but I think barring injury, Trevor will win ROTY.   He's clearly the best rookie QB on the field right now.   And ppl clearly recognize how bad Urban Meyer is right now, the W-L record isn't going to be held against him.     His play has improved markedly in the last 2+ games - not surprising given his talent.  

He was +800 to win the ROTY award 2 weeks ago - now he's +400.    The window to get value on him closing fast (but that's for the Bets thread, so I'll leave it at that).