Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

44 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

From the limited games I've seen of Lawrence he is clearly the most talented rookie QB in the class but he's also in the worst situation, maybe with the exception of Zach Wilson.

He's probably been trying too hard and trying to do too much and the concern I would have would be if the Jags can protect him on the OL and surround him with enough talent before he gets beaten up or gets his confidence irrevocably damaged.

The pick was the right one but it's up to the Jags now to put him in a position to succeed like the Patriots have done with Mac Jones who is an inferior QB talent wise but in a vastly superior situation. I feel the Jags should have done a little more before the season as they knew who they were drafting well in advance.

The Jags have to invest heavily in WR’s this off-season via FA/Draft and figure out what they are going to do with the O-Line. Cam Robinson, Andrew Norwell and AJ Cann are all FA’s. Jawaan Taylor is terrible. Walker Little will start at LT or RT I would think in 2022. 

I’m not worried about Trevor at all. I’m more worried about what the FO will put around him.

I feel like we are still at square 1 with figuring out Lawrence. We know he is not some transcendent QB who is able to thrive right away despite playing with little help, and we know he is not a hopeless bust unable to run an offense. I feel the same way about Lawrence as I did in the draft process, I think he can be a very good NFL QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The Jags have to invest heavily in WR’s this off-season via FA/Draft and figure out what they are going to do with the O-Line. Cam Robinson, Andrew Norwell and AJ Cann are all FA’s. Jawaan Taylor is terrible. Walker Little will start at LT or RT I would think in 2022. 

I’m not worried about Trevor at all. I’m more worried about what the FO will put around him.

Precisely.

Though I do have a little concern that QBs can be 'broken' mentally if they are subjected to a beating over and over again and as Darnold so eloquently put it start seeing ghosts.

I'd really like to see if Lawrence can genuinely be a catalyst for the Jags but they have to do their part aswell. I'll be watching with great interest.......

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Precisely.

Though I do have a little concern that QBs can be 'broken' mentally if they are subjected to a beating over and over again and as Darnold so eloquently put it start seeing ghosts.

I'd really like to see if Lawrence can genuinely be a catalyst for the Jags but they have to do their part aswell. I'll be watching with great interest.......

I mean, our OL protection hasn’t really been bad. Been I believe right around league average to slightly below average. The main issue has been receiver play/no real weapons outside of JRob. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

From the limited games I've seen of Lawrence he is clearly the most talented rookie QB in the class but he's also in the worst situation, maybe with the exception of Zach Wilson.

He's probably been trying too hard and trying to do too much and the concern I would have would be if the Jags can protect him on the OL and surround him with enough talent before he gets beaten up or gets his confidence irrevocably damaged.

The pick was the right one but it's up to the Jags now to put him in a position to succeed like the Patriots have done with Mac Jones who is an inferior QB talent wise but in a vastly superior situation. I feel the Jags should have done a little more before the season as they knew who they were drafting well in advance.

Pretty much my take. They need to make a big splash in FA and the draft to bring in some targets for him, and need to make a couple changes on the OL too.

And a defense that doesn’t immediately give up a bunch of points to force the offense into being one dimensional would probably help too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, our OL protection hasn’t really been bad. Been I believe right around league average to slightly below average. The main issue has been receiver play/no real weapons outside of JRob. 

That's a fair point and I'd cede to your knowledge there as you've watched him more than I have but the few games I saw, Lawrence was moving around a lot and helping the protection out a bit by escaping a few sacks, rolling out and things. That's one thing that can really wreck a young QB so hope you're right and we get to see the player that Lawrence can be.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

That's a fair point and I'd cede to your knowledge there as you've watched him more than I have but the few games I saw, Lawrence was moving around a lot and helping the protection out a bit by escaping a few sacks, rolling out and things. That's one thing that can really wreck a young QB so hope you're right and we get to see the player that Lawrence can be.

Well I’m not saying they’re world beaters or anything, and Lawrence having great pocket awareness/feel in the pocket definitely helps the unit, but overall they aren’t an “issue”.

Think most every QB in the league is going to be running around/escaping sacks and getting hit though. OL play league wide is generally fairly bad. 

On 11/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, .Buzz said:

What he needs is Garrett Wilson. A franchise LT is acceptable if they don't have an average or better LT. If they do, then i'd go with Wilson.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What he needs is Garrett Wilson. A franchise LT is acceptable if they don't have an average or better LT. If they do, then i'd go with Wilson.

Cam is an FA and they have Walker Little who’s sat behind him/developing. Would imagine if we took Neal he’d slot in at one of the OT spots with Little opposite him.

I love Wilson, and ultimately would be fine if we took him, but if we’re picking top 2/3 I’m not sure they do that if Thibs/Hutch/Neal are there. Dark horse being Hamilton as well.

See it being more realistic we grab a WR at the top of round 2/trade back up into round 1 for Olave/Jameo/Burks and another one in round 3 or 4 + an FA WR.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, Darbsk said:

this is a good post - look at what happened to burrow after an up and down first season (and with a better supporting cast than lawrence's now, though still not a great one), he's playing well now with pieces around.

it's unfair to cast off lawrence given he's playing with the spud club

• Like 2

It may be that the 2021 QB class was not the bumper crop it was hyped to be. 

As for Trevor Lawrence, of the three things--coaching, blocking, and receivers--a team should have in place before expending all of this draft capital on a franchise QB, the Jaguars had none.  Now they're like the dog that caught the bus.