College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

15 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Mike Leach might be the worst choice I’ve heard yet. Air raid’s been tried and failed in the SEC. They’ll probably hang 70 a year on Vandy, UK, and Mizzou but they’re never winning that conference running the ball as seldom as he does. And other than that one Texas Tech team that I think 3-way tied with Texas and Oklahoma, he’s never fielded a team that was anything to write home about 

Dude he had us and Washington State consistently winning 8-9 games a year with low 3* recruits. 

Hes going to be just fine. 

The one area I do worry with him is their recruiting might take a hit, so hopefully he hires a couple good recruiters on his staff.

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Dude he had us and Washington State consistently winning 8-9 games a year with low 3* recruits. 

Hes going to be just fine. 

The one area I do worry with him is their recruiting might take a hit, so hopefully he hires a couple good recruiters on his staff.

I really don't think Mike Leach is the type of coach whose going to change Tennessee's fortune around.  He's best fit in that lower-tier P5 teams where he can take a team of 3* athletes and make them halfway decent.  He's not going to fare well against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I really don't think Mike Leach is the type of coach whose going to change Tennessee's fortune around.  He's best fit in that lower-tier P5 teams where he can take a team of 3* athletes and make them halfway decent.  He's not going to fare well against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, etc.

I have no idea if Leach will do well in the SEC, but he's beaten Oklahoma, Texas(before they turned in to a yearly 5-6 win team) and Oklahoma State, a top 5 California team, etc while at Texas Tech and teams like USC and Stanford at Wazzu with a bunch of 3* athletes.

What concerns me more about Leach than being able to beat Auburn and Georgia(I'm not going to expect any coach in the country to beat Saban, at least not consistently) is that at both WSU and TTU he has games vs inferior opponents that his teams just blow. 05 they lost to a 4 win Okie State team, 06 they lost by 23 to a 2 win Colorado team, that kinda thing.

Seems no matter how well he has his team playing they have a game they tend to just completely over look. Just this year California, a 5-7 team just beat the crap out of them.

That's what would concern me about Leach. He's proven plenty of times he can go toe to toe vs the best teams and best coaches with far lesser talent. It's the bad teams that his teams seem to blow it against that bug me.

Maybe coming to Tennessee which practically recruits top 20 classes off of name(see Derek Dooley years) rather than the 40s/50s/60s he got at TTU/Wazzu helps prevent some of that, but we'll see if he becomes the coach here.

3 hours ago, Texasmade said:

Mike Leach in the SEC, heading the most irrational, insecure group of fans in that conference is going to be absolutely amazing to watch. 

I can remember a few years back when Alabama stunk. A solid HC can make a huge difference, especially in college ball.

The question is, can Leach do better with better athletes or does his offense rely too much on tricks and better athletes will not be able to get the job done better than his usual 3* athletes.

His stay at Washington St. was certainly impressive, not a school where you can easily recruit stars. He should be able to get superior athletes at Tennessee and we will just have to see how it plays out, if he is hired???

There is no doubt in my mind, that this guy can coach, Washington St. is no football powerhouse,

5 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

I love Leach, easily my favorite person, that is not on any of my favorite teams, in all of sports right now. That being said, I do not think that his air raid would work in the SEC, so I hope he does not go to Tennessee. I want him to be successful 

What is up with this?

People always say this and that won't work in a particular conference. Why wouldn't it? Football is football.

On 10/29/2017 at 1:13 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Ideally, Tennessee would fire Champion of Life Butch Jones and then name Brady Hoke interim HC for the memes. Florida hires Gruden. Confused, Tennessee has no idea what to do and pulls a LSU naming Hoke permanent HC.

This is looking better and better if Leach turns down UT. Instead of Florida hiring Gruden, Tennessee has just offered every other coach in America.

Archived