What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

Started watching True Detective

It's good...but so hard to follow at times. I don't know if it's just my ADHD acting up or what but there are literally times I have to force myself to try and pay attention to try and figure out what's going on.

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Started watching True Detective

It's good...but so hard to follow at times. I don't know if it's just my ADHD acting up or what but there are literally times I have to force myself to try and pay attention to try and figure out what's going on.

I found it boring and I'm not interested in any of the characters.  But the final minute has me a little more excited.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, THE DUKE said:

It was solid, more hits than misses.  The Closer was a better standup but I still had some laughs watching this

Meh he's washed, to me. I might give this one a shot one day, but the last special wasnt funny to me. He has a crutch and seems more content making people mad than writing good jokes. I don't really care about him going after any specific group of people, but the shtick is just tired.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:56 PM, vegas492 said:

Wife and I have been trying to find a decent Sitcom to watch.  Man it's brutal out there in Sitcom land

Young Sheldon. I am a person who hated Big Bang Theory, not a fan at all, but YS has won me over. I was skeptical but my wife and kid were watching and I got sucked in. Classic family sitcom style show, Sheldon has his A story but the B and C characters are all really likeable and funny. Set in the 90s so there is some nostalgia there for me

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adamq said:

Meh he's washed, to me. I might give this one a shot one day, but the last special wasnt funny to me. He has a crutch and seems more content making people mad than writing good jokes. I don't really care about him going after any specific group of people, but the shtick is just tired.

Young Sheldon. I am a person who hated Big Bang Theory, not a fan at all, but YS has won me over. I was skeptical but my wife and kid were watching and I got sucked in. Classic family sitcom style show, Sheldon has his A story but the B and C characters are all really likeable and funny. Set in the 90s so there is some nostalgia there for me

I'm currently watching "Still Game" on Netflix.  It is a BBC comedy from about 20 years ago.  The actors are significantly younger than the characters they're playing, but it is darned funny show.  

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, vegas492 said:

Wife and I have been trying to find a decent Sitcom to watch.  Man it's brutal out there in Sitcom land.

Waiting on Animal Control.  I know it's coming back and we enjoyed that one.

We are trying Extended Family.   It's really, really bad.  I can't get over how much the lead actress looks like Michael Jackson.  Old Michael Jackson.  It's scary.  And the timing is really bad.  It's almost unwatchable.

Night Court.  We still watch it, but it's just meh.  As in it's not bad, but it's also not good.  Which for today's sitcoms probably means it is good.

We liked Mister Mayor.  But that doesn't appear to be coming back.

Am I missing any to try out?

Coming in hot with...

Have you tried:

Letterkenny? - rednecks ******* around.

Shoresey? - hockey players ******* around.

Tacoma FD? - firefighters ******* around.

Ghosts (the US version)? - ghosts in a mansion ******* around.

Our Flag Means Death? - pirates ******* around.

The Neighborhood? - kind of bad but it has some funny moments i guess.

idk some of them aren't even real "sitcoms" per se.  They twist things a bit.  But they mostly fill the same niche.

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

First episode of the new season of True Detective was pretty average. I love the setting, but it spent to much time trying to introduce all these characters.

The Reindeer herd CGI open just murdered me.  I can't deal with that level of crappy CGI in such a long-awaited revival of the series.

The rest...idk, i feel like it's all super telegraphed what's going on.  But maybe that's an intentional red herring.  I'm kind of enjoying the weird frozen north setting more than i thought i was going to.  They're hitting small northern town notes pretty good with a lot of little details.

I'll watch the whole thing, but yeah...it hasn't really grabbed me yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Coming in hot with...

Have you tried:

Letterkenny? - rednecks ******* around.

Shoresey? - hockey players ******* around.

Tacoma FD? - firefighters ******* around.

Ghosts (the US version)? - ghosts in a mansion ******* around.

Our Flag Means Death? - pirates ******* around.

The Neighborhood? - kind of bad but it has some funny moments i guess.

idk some of them aren't even real "sitcoms" per se.  They twist things a bit.  But they mostly fill the same niche.

Tried watching the Neighborhood and found it to be terrible.  

Love Tacoma FD.  Very much.

Love Ghosts.

Haven't tried the others.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tried watching the Neighborhood and found it to be terrible.  

Love Tacoma FD.  Very much.

Love Ghosts.

Haven't tried the others.

I feels likes if you's appreciates Tacomas FDs, yous'll probably resonates with something like Letterkenny.  It's in the same vein, but just...turned up to 11, with no filter and a bit more of a Seinfeldian "show about nothing" theme.

Strong back catalogue to dive into too.  Though it actually just wrapped the last season, so that's kinda all you've got.  Depends on your level of tolerance for weird Canadiana too probably.

Our Flag Means Death is a weird one for me...because i'm not even sure how much i like it myself.  It can be really slow at times, like it's trying to be a drama or something.  But the payoff is usually pretty big when the setup lands a much bigger joke.  It's just...uneven for me.  Some episodes are hysterical and others are...basically null.

• Like 1

I guess I’m in the minority, but I really liked the first episode of True Detective. I liked the spirit world stuff and Jodie Foster in a police procedural as the experienced veteran after her outstanding performance as rookie Clarice Starling all those years ago.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:46 AM, Fresh Prince said:

First episode of the new season of True Detective was pretty average. I love the setting, but it spent to much time trying to introduce all these characters.

The initial idea on the missing crew and the setting kind of reminded me of this show on Max called The Head (pretty solid) 

12 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

I guess I’m in the minority, but I really liked the first episode of True Detective. I liked the spirit world stuff and Jodie Foster in a police procedural as the experienced veteran after her outstanding performance as rookie Clarice Starling all those years ago.

I didn't really dislike it.  I just didn't really dig the intrusion of all the supernatural spiritual stuff so much.

I loved the way the first series was really steeped in all that spiritual spooky voodoo and twisted religion stuff.  But this Alaska season feels like they sort of crossed a threshold into making it more "real" rather than just a kind of unnerving superstitious backdrop for everything.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I didn't really dislike it.  I just didn't really dig the intrusion of all the supernatural spiritual stuff so much.

I loved the way the first series was really steeped in all that spiritual spooky voodoo and twisted religion stuff.  But this Alaska season feels like they sort of crossed a threshold into making it more "real" rather than just a kind of unnerving superstitious backdrop for everything.

Agreed there  was 2-3 different scenes that made me think if they’re we’re gonna go supernatural with it, kinda threw me off.