What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

b4a4ad0c853d77a04a969fe66da041fe61e918d1

A clever take on the concept.  The movie has better action sequences (and believability in the characters’ abilities as spies/assassins) but the show has far better characterization of its leads. You get more invested in this John and Jane.  Good cliffhanger to end s1. 

I've been traveling down little "mini-rabbit holes" watching some of these short horror films on ALTER's youtube channel.  Some have been pretty solid, some not so much, but they're all fun.  All of them are between 10-20 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/@WatchALTER

Laboratory Conditions with Marissa Tomei and Minnie Driver is a very solid offering.  

22 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

You know they’ve screwed up when there’s already two seasons, and no one seems to care.

I was so excited about that show and paid for whatever app it is for a few months to watch.. but after 4 or 5 episodes I just didn't give a bleep anymore. Too much was different from the games story for my liking. 

watching Mad Men for the first time. Amazing show. I love Draper and the supporting cast in this. The set designs are amazing. I love seeing these character navigate 60s middle to upper class America. I would love to see a show like this, but inspired by the history of Ebony and Jet magazine. A face-lift look at the Black upper class, like Mad men does with white upper class.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:22 PM, D82 said:

Masters of the Air 

This stupid piece of **** show is gonna make me get Apple TV at some point.

Is it even actually any good at all?  lol.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:38 PM, Ray Reed said:

Hard to overstate how bad the new season of True Detective is

Legitimately some of the worst writing/acting i’ve ever seen on HBO

I'm still gonna stick with it to the end, but i'm completely tuned out at this point.  It's become a "background show" rather than one i actually really "watch".  It just has not grabbed me, at all.  It's hit the biggest lull i've ever seen in a True Detective show.  Where i'm genuinely not even sure what they're trying to set up anymore.  It doesn't even seem to be laying the groundwork for anything at the moment.  It's just chugging along.

Unless that's the point?  Commentary on the monotony of remote northern life?

On 2/8/2024 at 5:55 AM, MikeT14 said:

I don't get some of the hate Reacher S2 is getting. It's been good and amazon has done a solid job adapting it.

Season 1 was so good.

Season 2...i'm still procrastinating on finding out if i even watched the end of it.  I don't think it did.  I watched some episodes though.  Serinda Swan is a ******* cool name and she's real hot.  But the entire premise feels like it simultaneously shrank and expanded.  It went that whole "puddle deep but a lake wide" direction.  Which is...not my favourite choice.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:35 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Just started season 2 of Halo; I know season 1 got a lot of hate and well deserved, S2 should be better or it could get cancelled. I will say, the early fight scene with MC in the fog is pretty good - but S1 the action scenes weren't necessarily the problem with the show.

I'm gonna watch the heck out of this.  But i feel like i'll probably just hold off until whenever i head home next.  If it's anything like the first season, it almost requires a "translator" to fill in some of the blanks.  Someone who knows and played the games.

So that'll be me again, relaying pertinent information to my dad while watching.

That was the thing that was so weird about the first season.  It was made as almost fanservice in a lot of ways.  Leaned on people already understanding the whole premise.  But didn't explain much to new viewers very well.

Is the 2nd Season the same?

On 2/9/2024 at 12:07 PM, thrILL! said:

b4a4ad0c853d77a04a969fe66da041fe61e918d1

A clever take on the concept.  The movie has better action sequences (and believability in the characters’ abilities as spies/assassins) but the show has far better characterization of its leads. You get more invested in this John and Jane.  Good cliffhanger to end s1. 

I've tried to watch this so many times.  But i keep either getting distracted or falling asleep.

People keep raving about it...but i've still only made it out 15 minutes in without wondering where it's going and what is happening.  And in true contemporary tradition...i understand that it's extremely serialized.

I miss Episodic Shows.  Where you could just pick 'em up wherever and still enjoy whatever episode as a completely standalone piece.  We need more of that somehow.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'm gonna watch the heck out of this.  But i feel like i'll probably just hold off until whenever i head home next.  If it's anything like the first season, it almost requires a "translator" to fill in some of the blanks.  Someone who knows and played the games.

So that'll be me again, relaying pertinent information to my dad while watching.

That was the thing that was so weird about the first season.  It was made as almost fanservice in a lot of ways.  Leaned on people already understanding the whole premise.  But didn't explain much to new viewers very well.

Is the 2nd Season the same?

I've only played the first few games of the franchise and fall of reach, and it's been well over a decade since I read some of the books, but it feels like this season will be building up to the fall of Reach as the finale imo. Halo proper (aka the first game) likely won't be touched until S3.

But they've also taken a load of creative freedom with the IP by making a lot of human drama take up screen time so who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This stupid piece of **** show is gonna make me get Apple TV at some point.

Is it even actually any good at all?  lol.

So like...it isn't awful. But it's nowhere near the quality of Band of Brothers or even The Pacific. And while I've been disappointed, it's okay enough to make me keep watching...at least so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

So like...it isn't awful. But it's nowhere near the quality of Band of Brothers or even The Pacific. And while I've been disappointed, it's okay enough to make me keep watching...at least so far.

That's good to know.  Probably saves me the...however many dollars a month of Apple TV subscription is.  lol.

There are a few shows on there actually, that look really good...but i've also got the impression they throw all the coolest bits right in the trailers to bait people into subscribing, and hope they just never bother to cancel (like the previous netflix model).

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I've only played the first few games of the franchise and fall of reach, and it's been well over a decade since I read some of the books, but it feels like this season will be building up to the fall of Reach as the finale imo. Halo proper (aka the first game) likely won't be touched until S3.

But they've also taken a load of creative freedom with the IP by making a lot of human drama take up screen time so who knows.

Hmmm.  That would make sense.  I almost got the sense from the trailer that it was hinting at something ODST related though.

Which ironically, was probably my favourite of the games.  The one where you're not a space superhero.  lol.

Edited by Tugboat

On 2/13/2024 at 4:18 AM, Tugboat said:

I miss Episodic Shows.  Where you could just pick 'em up wherever and still enjoy whatever episode as a completely standalone piece.  We need more of that somehow.

More than the 5 zillion procedural shows like CSI, NCIS, Chicago PD/FD/Med, Law & Order, FBI, The Rookie, Blue Bloods, Will Trent, Tracker, Hawaii 5-0, Magnum P.I. and all their spinoffs?

There’s way too much of that iyam.