2021-2022 NBA GDT Thread: Wolf Pit Assemble

NYRaider

We actually have no shooting. Last year we were one of the best shooting teams in the league, now in back to back games we’ve only made 5. And if we’re gonna be that poor a shooting team from perimeter then Harden needs to be much better. Getting to the rim and is finishing like crap 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:11 PM, catcheryea said:

not a huge deal but hayes has taken two strong hand layups tonight that haven't touched the rim

Dudes clearly pressing. I know Pistons fans have already broken the panic button for some reason, but I’m not writing Hayes off. The dude is bad right now, no doubt. But he’s also played less than 60 games so far and dealt with fairly serious injury issues. It’s also not unheard of for PGs to stink their rookie years and turn into good players. It’s not super common, but Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo stunk their rookie years. I’m not saying Hayes is going to become Nash, but I dont think it’s asinine to think he could be Rondo level. It’s not like the Pistons are even close to good, they don’t need him to be an all star right now. I still feel pretty good about Hayes turning into a guy that justifies a mid lottery pick. They really need a guy that can catch lobs. That would help the entire team’s development along. But sure, he could also be Franky Smokes or the any number of other busts. It’s a crapshoot. I just don’t think it’s quite weeping and gnashing of teeth level of panic time. 

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Dudes clearly pressing. I know Pistons fans have already broken the panic button for some reason, but I’m not writing Hayes off. The dude is bad right now, no doubt. But he’s also played less than 60 games so far and dealt with fairly serious injury issues. It’s also not unheard of for PGs to stink their rookie years and turn into good players. It’s not super common, but Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo stunk their rookie years. I’m not saying Hayes is going to become Nash, but I dont think it’s asinine to think he could be Rondo level. It’s not like the Pistons are even close to good, they don’t need him to be an all star right now. I still feel pretty good about Hayes turning into a guy that justifies a mid lottery pick. They really need a guy that can catch lobs. That would help the entire team’s development along. But sure, he could also be Franky Smokes or the any number of other busts. It’s a crapshoot. I just don’t think it’s quite weeping and gnashing of teeth level of panic time. 

honestly i understand it from both sides. it’s still too early to feel confident pulling the plug but at the same he’s shown almost nothing on offense beyond a flashy pass or two every few games. my biggest issue with him is that he looks like he doesn't think he belongs out there. when you watch cade initiate the offense he's obviously letting the action develop but he's also usually looking to attack if he can. when killian does it, there's nothing. he never looks at the rim or threatens anything. he's just waiting to give the ball up and run back to the corner. i'd rather he go 2-12 every game than 1-3

casey obviously isn't helping him figure out his game and the injuries are unfortunate and he's missed a ton of key developmental time due to a number of reasons, but at some point they need to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he'll make up for that lost time

i also think if he wasn't weaver's first roster move as gm, he would've been traded by now. but that probably says more about weaver than hayes